Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it safe to leave the router on.

Options
  • 27-07-2009 11:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey guys and girls i am just wondering is it safe to leave the router on over night.
    I have a Eircom router and it get very hot.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Epeen

Well mines been on for about 2 years with only a few reboots so i doubt its going to explode or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What Epeen said. Mine stays on all the time. Never an issue. Same with everyone I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Mine stays on, but I have it on its side to aid airflow to try to keep it a little cooler.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

"very hot" is worrying. All routers will get "moderately warm".
    I've never heard of a router catching fire but if you're concerned do get someone to look at it. A sparks will know if its getting too warm.
    In the meantime switch it off when not in use, if for no other reason than peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

mine has been on since I got it. Never had any problems with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

Aye, Always on. You would imagine they would be manufactured to be safely constantly powered on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

always on for me. Reboot once every fortnight.

Completely safe from an electrical point of view. Leaving it on will prolong the life of the internal electronics. Turning it on and off regularly over a long period of time will cause wear from thermal cycling.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Leaving on all the time is fine with two acceptions
    - Turn off when your away on holidays for a extented period of time
    - Turn off during thunder storms or you could risk your router/modem being fried (I've seen it happen to many a ADSL user)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I have a Eircom router and it get very hot.

Define "very hot". Can you touch it, or pick it up? Is it roasting hot, or just warm? If you can't touch it, then something is wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

ye better hope the Greens don't find ya

Cabaal wrote: »
    Leaving on all the time is fine with two acceptions
    - Turn off when your away on holidays for a extented period of time
    - Turn off during thunder storms or you could risk your router/modem being fried (I've seen it happen to many a ADSL user)

Good point, happened pc when i lived at home, lightning took out the v 56 modem in the computer during storm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If you think the router is running hot make sure it's on a well ventilated flameproof surface such as a spare ceramic tile. Don't leave it sitting on a carpet/rug or tucked behind the curtains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

My brother always insists in turning it off when it's not being used because it'll make the ESB expensive :pac:

A router hardly uses much energy, does it?

Larkin501 wrote: »
    My brother always insists in turning it off when it's not being used because it'll make the ESB expensive :pac:

A router hardly uses much energy, does it?

Mine uses under 10 watts.
    http://tinyurl.com/yedr89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

david7536 wrote: »
    Mine uses under 10 watts.
    http://tinyurl.com/yedr89

Belkin (my brand) doesn't say the power consumption for mine :O

I might give them a quick e-mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

david7536 wrote: »
    Completely safe from an electrical point of view. Leaving it on will prolong the life of the internal electronics. Turning it on and off regularly over a long period of time will cause wear from thermal cycling.
    And you know how hot the OPs router is getting???

@ all posters who don't seem to have read the OP.
    The question is not "is it safe to leave a router on"

It's "is it safe to leave a router on that gets 'very hot'.

Unless you know for certain thats its safe, advice of this nature is worthless and potentially dangerous.

Advertisement