Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to the u.s are these available?

Options
  • 27-07-2009 11:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭

Howarya?

I'm heading to the U.s for 5 months and am wondering are any of the following available in walmart or similair?

Baked Beans
    Proper Tea
    Brown bread
    Rashers
    Sausages

Thanks A million. TTS:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Baked Beans- yes, different brands though and tasting slightly differently. Most have bacon in them, too.

Proper Tea- mostly yes, though it is much weaker than in Ireland. If you like your tea strong as I do, import some :)

Brown bread- not the soda bread type widely available in Ireland, though the large Target near us has a decent approximation. It's also easy to make at home :)

Rashers- Not really, your closest approximation will be very thinly sliced country fried ham.

Sausages- yes.

BTW, no teabiscuits or anything like it. It's a small thing, but what I miss the most!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You are bound to find an international shop with has that sort of thing of you are really stuck. You will be very disappointed with the search for a good rasher. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lainey83

what area in the US are you moving to?
    I lived in NYC for four years. in certain areas they have irish stores that have all the irish goods there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

-No rashers... just rotten auld bacon strips of fat, you won't find a good Denny sausage either, but you might get a middlin one if you search around.
    -Baked beans aren't great either, they don't seem to go with the beans in tomato sauce here like we're used to.
    -Bread isn't the greatest here although bakeries have nice bread you won't get a soda bread.
    -I don't drink tea so I don't know.

You'll probably find most of these things at an Irish or British shop, but you'll pay for them. There's a "Giant Eagle - Market District" near me that has a section for loads of different countries, no Irish stuff though but I got a can of Heinz beans in the British section... more of a bachelors man myself though. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Ajos

Or you could - gasp - try and find stuff that they have in the US and not in Ireland that you like.

Although I'm not one to talk - what I really miss is the butter. American butter is tasteless and awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭murfie

Baked Beans: I have found Heinz baked beans, exact same as at home in Kroger and Randals supermarkets. Both have an international section

Proper Tea: You can get both Barrys and Lyons tea again in Kroger and Randals and also HEB supermarkets

Brown bread: Nope, not the brown bread we eat. I have made the soda bread myself which is surprisingly easier than I thought

Rashers: American bacon yes, nothing like rashers. I have found a English shop here in Houston that stocks some. Still not as good as Irish

Sausages: You can get sausage in every supermarket however its nothing like a good Irish sausage. I am thinking about ordering the Galtee pack from their website for 40 dollars or foodireland.com has loads of stuff but i have not ordered anything yet.

I am down south by the way, might be different up north in yanky country.

Just to add for others, i get irish cheese from Randals, Kerrygold. No butter though. Randals goes by a different name further north.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

Thanks everyone. I love my home comforts :D. I'll be living in Missouri btw, So I dont know if that makes much of a difference

TTS:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Famous45

A lot of stores have an international section where you'll pick up a few bits. Always great when you come across a packet of micado's or heinz ketchup or the goldgrain's, seem to pick up the chocolate fingers all the time. You'll get rashers but they will be turkey ones. Enjoy your stay, do you have a visa for the 5 months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭ToTheSea:

Yes I do. It's a study visa. Cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

Heinz vegetarian beans are in most stores are exactly the same. Foodireland.com is a good resource. I know some places for sausage rasher pudding etc on the east coast (NY, Boston) but not out that neck of the woods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

ToTheSea: wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I love my home comforts :D. I'll be living in Missouri btw, So I dont know if that makes much of a difference

TTS:

St Louis? I spent the better part of a year in St Louis. They have Krogers there. Hell, might have Randalls, too. Lots of international food stores in most large cities in America. You can find most of what ya miss. Having said that, why not try the local fare. Try and pop into Bandanas, a chain BBQ joint that has some good stuff - unique Midwest BBQ.

Most American beans are sweeter than Irish. But as was stated earlier,most veggie beans are similar. Also, in the Midwest and south, you can get BBQ baked beans and Ranch Beans, which are an entirely different thing - can be sweet or spicey, etc. They can be had with or without meat. You may also want to try chili while yer at it. Preferably at a BBQ joint with cornbread(I think Bandanas has it).

If you go to a bakery, you can find nearly any type of bread. But soda bread is difficult to come by.

You also might want to try a Q-Doba or a Chipotle for a burrito. I had a hell of a time finding anything resembling a decent burrito in Dublin. Well, actually, I didn't find anything. Also try Mexican food, too - none of that in Ireland worth a damn, either. Pizza is similar, though. The local ST Louis joint called Emos has a ridicuolously rich Provelle cheese option that is nearly sickening, but supposedly is a must try. I can see it with crackers or even some sort of nice meat dish, but pizza? It's a bit much.

Also, msot places in St Louis, missouri and the midwest and east coast, make a great sandwhich. It's what they do in those regions - prolly started with blue class industrial workers creating the demand. And St Louis also has their own versions, too, you should try.

Rashers do not exist outside of Ireland and England. I have yet to find a decent one in the states. Though I have had some good back bacon in Texas which is as close as it comes.

Try and catch a Cardinals Baseball game while you are there - they have a newish stadium and it is quite a spectacle. Seats are cheap, but if ya got a spare 40-70 USD, try and get close to the players.

Feel free to PM me while yer here or there if ya got questions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Difficult to find rashers in the USA. There is a plant in Vermont and a point of sale in New Jersey. See link:
    http://www.foodireland.com/irish_food_gift_store/spi102.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I have ordered crisps and club drinks from foodireland, must try some of the rashers. I think you have to get it shipped overnight and/or shipped separately from any other order though.

Advertisement