Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

His Dark Materials and Recommendations

Options
  • 28-07-2009 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,445 ✭✭✭

I am planning on buying, "His Dark Materials" are they worth it?

Also, why do a lot of the books that I become interested in end up having won some kind of children's book award? Not that it matters.

The main thing is though are they worth it.

Also you can recommend other books for me to read too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I thought they were absolutely fantastic and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. It's been at least eight years since I've read them but I reckon I'd enjoy them just as much now as when I was young.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i was working at a charity book selling.. thing, and my payment was being allowed to rifle through the boxes of books and take whatever i wanted. I had never heard of this series before, but they were brand new and all there so I picked them up and had them finished about 3 days later.

Awesome stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Chumpski

Fantastic books, well worth reading. Every time you read them you will take something new from them. The second and third books in particular are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭Linguo

+1

Read them recently and they're very interesting books, and I found the themes quite adult concerning religion!Defo worth the read!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Fav books ever. I have a signed hardback copy!

The first book in the beginning reads like the childrens/young adult book it was meant to be, but hang in there and watch how the big themes develop over the course of the three.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Yep, go for it! They're good books, and what have you got to lose.
    I just found them on awesomebooks.co.uk for £1.99 each by the way. Probably the cheapest you'll find them without trawling the charity shops:D.

Advertisement