Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibbers\Bruxelles

• 28-07-2009 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭

Right... Fibbers has been my local for the last 4 years or so. For reasons that i wont get into, i wont be going back :rolleyes:, so i'm going to give brux a go. Is it basically the same scene as fibbers? Musically and crowd wise. (ive never been). What are the prices like? Ive heard its more expensive than fibbers. (some were mentioning over 5€ per pint :eek:)

Your opinions etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

It's expensive and i swear the price of a pint goes up as the night goes on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Ah, finally graduated eh? :D

Bruxelles is like Fibbers for big boys and girls, and yes it is pricey but that's the price you pay to drink in a metal bar that doesn't smell like a toilet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

ah.. and here was I thinking that the fibbers musk was part of the appeal of the place!

So its generally the same, less the emo kids then? Sounds great!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭The Frayed Ends

over €5 a pint :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

over €5 a pint :eek:
    Yup. Boo to that!

Its €4 for a pint of bulmers before 11 in fibbers. This is the one detracting point (if you will) of bruxelles apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Passenger wrote: »

Now now, the boy is becoming a man, let's try and be supportive :)

Went in for a pint the other night. Mate was getting the rounds in - 2 pints of beer and a vodka and coke - 20 euro exactly. Not sure how that breaks down but I'm guessing it was either 6/6.50 per pint.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

tbh, I don't think I'll ever settle in Bruxies. While the place has improved vastly over the years, I still feel horribly uncomfortable and not "metal" enough to be in there - some people really are just stuck up their own holes in that place.

Plus there's nowhere to dance without being in someones way!:rolleyes: Musically, they play much more "proper" metal than Fibs. Maybe I don't enjoy it cos I don't wanna sing along to Manowar and Iron Maiden :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

what's that place The Scene like? It used to be Ruaille Buaille.
    I heard it was a Metal(ish) bar recently

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

While it's far from perfect, the asshole/good music ratio is miles higher in Bruxies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Personally I love Bruxelles although it is very expensive.I agree with Jenizzle too,it seems very cliqueish.I used to go there the occasional Friday straight after work so would be wearing a shirt and trousers and often got the "wtf are you doing here" look from some of them.It used to make me laugh because generally the ones looking at me like that were in the 18 to 23 age group.Ive been listening to metal for the best part of 20 years so alot of them werent even born when I first heard Slayer.There is a certain element of snobbery amongst the metal community unless you are dressed a certain way.The older heads are much more receptive though.The bar staff can be ignorant enough too IMO.Bah,pass no remarks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

I prefer Bruxelles to Fibbers tbh.

I just like the atmosphere more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

what's that place The Scene like? It used to be Ruaille Buaille.
    I heard it was a Metal(ish) bar recently

The scene is the business, you just can't beat the price of the drink anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Tom1991

jenizzle wrote: »
    tbh, I don't think I'll ever settle in Bruxies. While the place has improved vastly over the years, I still feel horribly uncomfortable and not "metal" enough to be in there - some people really are just stuck up their own holes in that place.

Plus there's nowhere to dance without being in someones way!:rolleyes: Musically, they play much more "proper" metal than Fibs. Maybe I don't enjoy it cos I don't wanna sing along to Manowar and Iron Maiden :(

I know what ya mean i stuck on poison talk dirty to me an some old coger had a go at me at the bar.and the crowd looked at me like i had two heads.might aswell of put on the village people.its noise downstairs most of the time tbh i would of loved if iron maiden had been on either time i was there cos all i got was one guy who loaded 20 quid into it thumping out song after song of the heaviest metal bands.but the dj or watever wen he was on through on a few good ones before bowin to the crowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Fibbers is an awful urine-smelling 15 year old nest of puberty and washed down pints of old, but expensive beer.

Bruxelles is a urine-smelling old man nest of overtly-loud PA system blasting thrash all night long while you attempt to enjoy an expensive, but well-pulled, pint whilst being squashed by the overweight, smelly know-it-all middle aged "metal gods" who are packed in there like sardines.

Go to a real bar. The music will be a lot less good but you'll enjoy the company more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Fibbers is an awful urine-smelling 15 year old nest of puberty and washed down pints of old, but expensive beer.

Bruxelles is a urine-smelling old man nest of overtly-loud PA system blasting thrash all night long while you attempt to enjoy an expensive, but well-pulled, pint whilst being squashed by the overweight, smelly know-it-all middle aged "metal gods" who are packed in there like sardines.

Go to a real bar. The music will be a lot less good but you'll enjoy the company more.

Doran's anyone!? :P :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Spastafarian

It was €6.20 a pint the last time I went to Bruxelles. Since when are metallers the richest members of society?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Doran's anyone!? :P :rolleyes:

Get your coat.

I stopped going to fibbers a few months back after a couple of years of weekly binges. Not mad about Bruxells, wish there was somewhere better than the 2.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Bruxelles looks amazing now after their refurbishment. But it's still full of suits piling money into the jukebox to hear their camp rock like Judas Priest and shout along/ air guitar... :rolleyes:

If you just wanna enjoy a quiet pint and some decent rock music in a class looking bar, check out The Sub Lounge under Tara St. station.

Other than that.. Foggy Dew is worth a look but gets crowded fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Tom1991 wrote: »
    I know what ya mean i stuck on poison talk dirty to me an some old coger had a go at me at the bar.and the crowd looked at me like i had two heads.might aswell of put on the village people.its noise downstairs most of the time tbh i would of loved if iron maiden had been on either time i was there cos all i got was one guy who loaded 20 quid into it thumping out song after song of the heaviest metal bands.but the dj or watever wen he was on through on a few good ones before bowin to the crowd

Hes just jealous of the rock of love:P:P:P

Poison Rock:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Fibbers was only good when that DJ Charisma was there - those other ones are not as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Jack Vegas

nedtheshed wrote: »
    There is a certain element of snobbery amongst the metal community unless you are dressed a certain way.

Too true, metal lookin' folk slagging off "emo kids" is a prime example.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Jack Vegas wrote: »
    Too true, metal lookin' folk slagging off "emo kids" is a prime example.

Sure everybody is better than everybody, especially in a scene that in Ireland is stereotypically full of depressed, self consious losers:D

Personally I think its the same as every other scene, has its bullys and weirdos and losers, but the majority are sound.

I dont care if you Emo, Glam, Goth, S&M, Thrash head or a big cookie monster, as long as I can have fun I dont care....

Thats why I prefer fibbers, less elitists, they go to bruxelles(and marley park at the weekend :p)

Mite go to bruxelles with e20 and just play poison, kiss, cinderella, britny fox, pretty boy floyd and ratt until I cause a Riot:p:pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭- bo -

Had a strange experience in Fibbers about I'd say a year and a half or so ago. I was out with some people on my college course I'd never been out with. Where the pool table is downstairs in the corner I was chatting away to a girl from the course tied in with ours when some fella came over and told us to leave the area. Confused I asked him why but he wouldn't give me a reason, just told me himself and a couple of mates would take me outside :confused:. I told him I wasn't interfering with their business and was simply chatting away to a mate but he insisted I leave or I quote "sh1t will go down" :rolleyes:. He went on to tell me they were part of some group whose name I can't remember (some initials) and it was their corner where they had their special meetings. Proceeded then to call over more of his big hairy mates and eyeball me until I eventually wasn't arsed anymore and just moved. Strange one. Don't think I've been back since actually.

You would get in to Fibbers wearing an onion bag anyway:p

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

You would get in to Fibbers wearing an onion bag anyway:p
    You'd be more likely to be refused for dressing well ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Greentrees

laughing so much at some of the posts.. big fan of brux.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Bruxelles looks very well now that it's been done up. But there's no Kopparberg so for that reason alone I prefer Fibbers!:p

Really, though, I've never spent long enough in Bruxelles to judge it properly. I've said it before, but Fibbers has a better atmosphere...once there's more that 3 people there, of course. The last few Fridays I went it was ghostville... wtf is going on? :confused: :pac:

Advertisement