Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibbers\Bruxelles

Comments

You'd be more likely to be refused for dressing well ;)

Touch
    é:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I really don't like Bruxelles much. One of the few places anyone's ever tried to start on me.

It's a nice bar, decent music, but too many angry old men. Though it does have the advantage in that it doesn't smell like some incontinent children were being chased around by angry dogs, because fúcking hell Fibbers does smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

- bo - wrote: »
    Had a strange experience in Fibbers about I'd say a year and a half or so ago. I was out with some people on my college course I'd never been out with. Where the pool table is downstairs in the corner I was chatting away to a girl from the course tied in with ours when some fella came over and told us to leave the area. Confused I asked him why but he wouldn't give me a reason, just told me himself and a couple of mates would take me outside :confused:. I told him I wasn't interfering with their business and was simply chatting away to a mate but he insisted I leave or I quote "sh1t will go down" :rolleyes:. He went on to tell me they were part of some group whose name I can't remember (some initials) and it was their corner where they had their special meetings. Proceeded then to call over more of his big hairy mates and eyeball me until I eventually wasn't arsed anymore and just moved. Strange one. Don't think I've been back since actually.

That would be the D.C's??? or something like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭- bo -

Ph3n0m wrote: »
    That would be the D.C's??? or something like that?

DS! It just clicked there when you said that. Probably the most pathetic thing I've ever seen, I was laughing at first because I thought they were ripping the p1ss. It was like some sort of game you'd play when you were a child.
    Anyone tell me what the whole point of these arseholes is? :confused:

- bo - wrote: »
    DS! It just clicked there when you said that. Probably the most pathetic thing I've ever seen, I was laughing at first because I thought they were ripping the p1ss. It was like some sort of game you'd play when you were a child.
    Anyone tell me what the whole point of these arseholes is? :confused:
    Thats the corner where the sit and play the DS all night:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Used to like Brux, now a Fibs man (only as it's a decent place....well the only place to go to good metal gigs).

Brux was a great place to go until it got all up it's own hole (ooh it looks all pretentious and emo now! There's a pic of the, late, Joker on the wall FFS!).

Also moving the bar to that side was thick, it reduced an already tiny floorspace to make metal heads grumpier to be there spending the guts of a tenner on one pint.

I'll tell you this for a fact. There is no decent metal pub in Dublin City. A lot of average ones, but nothing that stands out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

chin_grin wrote: »
    I'll tell you this for a fact. There is no decent metal pub in Dublin City. A lot of average ones, but nothing that stands out.

QFT.

lord lucan wrote: »
    QFT.

Is it really sad that I had to google "QFT".

'Quantum Field Theory' what the funk does that have to.......<looks a couple of results down at the Urban Dictionary one>............aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Well after spending last night (and the guts of €100 :() in bruxelles, for the first time, it is head and shoulders above fibbers (and ive been going to fibbers weekly for years). Apart from the price, its easily the best metal bar in dublin. Friendly bar staff, jukebox with pages of deicide, slayer etc.. and better still, no crap pop music on it that people play in fibbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It's not about where you go, it's who you're with.

IMO.

• Advertisement

It's not about where you go, it's who you're with.

IMO.
    But it helps if its not a sh!thole like fibbers! At least the doors on the jacks in Bruxelles close and lock!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Jack Vegas wrote: »
    Too true, metal lookin' folk slagging off "emo kids" is a prime example.

Thats what puts me off many places in Dublin, not just rock bars. It baffles me why people feel the need to dress in a metal look, or an indie look (those folk with the checkard shirt and drainpipe jeans). Is it some sort of cry out? Crying out from the rooftops - 'Hey, look at me, I listen to metal'.

Fibbers would be far better, along with Bruxelles if people didnt dress so freakish, as if they've just returned from Dani Filth's birtyday party......

Who gives a **** what music you listen to:mad:

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Well after spending last night (and the guts of €100 :() in bruxelles, for the first time, it is head and shoulders above fibbers (and ive been going to fibbers weekly for years). Apart from the price, its easily the best metal bar in dublin. Friendly bar staff, jukebox with pages of deicide, slayer etc.. and better still, no crap pop music on it that people play in fibbers.
    I'd get a bit of a childish thrill by pissing off people with my jukebox choices. I hate musical snobbery, where people feel only certain types of music should be played. However, ill agree that pop (or trad) shouldnt be on any jukebox, whatever the pub.

I'd get a bit of a childish thrill by pissing off people with my jukebox choices. I hate musical snobbery, where people feel only certain types of music should be played. However, ill agree that pop (or trad) shouldnt be on any jukebox, whatever the pub.
    I HATE that carry on, playing feckin kings of leon in Fibbers, why is there songs like beyonce and lady gaga in a self titled "rock" bar, i'll never know.

If you want to listen to that go to q bar! Fibbers and Brux are metal bars, therefore metal should only be played.

I HATE that carry on, playing feckin kings of leon in Fibbers, why is there songs like beyonce and lady gaga in a self titled "rock" bar, i'll never know.

If you want to listen to that go to q bar! Fibbers and Brux are metal bars, therefore metal should only be played.
    My last sentence in that post showed that im also of that view. But I mean, if people get all narky because someone threw on Audioslave or At The Drive In instead of Metallica / Pantera etc. its pathetic in my view. I remember putting on Fugazi once, and people wernt pleased, its sad to be honest, how snobby people can be with their music, sticking rigidly to one genre all the time.....

My last sentence in that post showed that im also of that view. But I mean, if people get all narky because someone threw on Audioslave or At The Drive In instead of Metallica / Pantera etc. its pathetic in my view. I remember putting on Fugazi once, and people wernt pleased, its sad to be honest, how snobby people can be with their music, sticking rigidly to one genre all the time.....
    I wouldnt say that - I like other types of music, i own many a NWA album for example, but if i want to play them on a bar juke box, i go to a bar with a like minded audience.

I wouldnt say that - I like other types of music, i own many a NWA album for example, but if i want to play them on a bar juke box, i go to a bar with a like minded audience.
    Fugazi are far cry from NWA.

but its the same thing - musical diversity. Differing to the preffered music of the patrons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

chin_grin wrote: »
    Used to like Brux, now a Fibs man (only as it's a decent place....well the only place to go to good metal gigs).

Brux was a great place to go until it got all up it's own hole (ooh it looks all pretentious and emo now! There's a pic of the, late, Joker on the wall FFS!).

Also moving the bar to that side was thick, it reduced an already tiny floorspace to make metal heads grumpier to be there spending the guts of a tenner on one pint.

i havent been in it but if they moved the bar to the left side as you comein - well thats its original spot, they only moved it to the top a couple of years back!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

was in new look brux last week....nice layout...pity there is no chicks there any more and the beer is watered down....but fibbers is a complete toilet in comparison , the smell of the jacks is so rank in there you could probably find better facilities in a beirut prison...its a miracle that place has'nt been closed done on health grounds....im sure there are a few new species to be discovered in the sewers beneath.....
    golgothan1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭steveone

Ha I haven't been in Bruxelles since I was underage and that was a long time ago....:D is the metal bar still down stairs with the big pillars in the way of everything????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Thats what puts me off many places in Dublin, not just rock bars. It baffles me why people feel the need to dress in a metal look, or an indie look (those folk with the checkard shirt and drainpipe jeans). Is it some sort of cry out? Crying out from the rooftops - 'Hey, look at me, I listen to metal'.

Fibbers would be far better, along with Bruxelles if people didnt dress so freakish, as if they've just returned from Dani Filth's birtyday party......

God forbid people use clothes to express themselves :rolleyes:
    Who gives a **** what music you listen to:mad:

Who gives a **** what clothes you wear? I remember having a similar opinion myself, but when I was fifteen, mate.
    chin_grin wrote:

Yeah I saw that last weekend, it's probably one of the most pathetic things I've ever seen.

See, this is the thing about Brux. We all knew it was a sh!thole so why did it have to pretend (same with Fibbers).

So when it got a Gok-style makeover (I have a gf, hence knowing about this man [or 'thing'] :D ), it just oozed pretention. Remember walking in going......"oh f*ck"......

- Why is the DJ now right beside the door? (Where everyone now sees fit to congregate as they're either too scared to walk further in or can't as it's packed)

- What's with the emo layout (do mine eyes deceive me? It's effing purple with a load of gold trim.......it's like Bam Margera's gaff!)

- Rule of thumb, loads of skulls does not equal metal. (Stop that please, thank you).

- And the name Flanders (yes I know it's the 'actual' name of that part) painted on the wall. (With roses and other skulls coz we all like Guns'n'Roses don't we.....grrrrrrr!)

Knowing how close Brux got to be a gay bar........I'm wondering did they meet halfway? Only feeling I'm taking half the meat up my hole when I pay for a pint.

As someone mentioned before, yeah it's who you're with. But if the place makes you want to rage harder than a reh-tard (Hangover nod), then of course it's going to change a nice evening in to a disaster. Environment and all that jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

empirix wrote: »
    i havent been in it but if they moved the bar to the left side as you comein - well thats its original spot, they only moved it to the top a couple of years back!!

It's on the right now...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by empirix
    It's on the right now...

Originally it was down the back........THEN it moved to the left hand side..........THEN it moved back to the (er) back........and now it's on the right.

It's like a game of musical bar..........ooh where is it going to be next week I wonder on the ceiling? Out in the smoking area?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I agree. Though I did hear that terrible country-dance (Worst.Genre.Ever.) remix of 'Cotton Eye Joe' in Fibbers one night...I think we need to draw the line there! :pac:

Yeah, there does seem to be a bit of snobbery as regards genre in Fibber's...like I got a few evils off people when I requested Smashing Pumpkins once...i mean, they are a rock band , ffs, get off your high horses!

The 'troo' metal elitists really irritate me sometimes.

And the goth girls who give you dirty looks if you dress like a 'norm'.:rolleyes:
    Though the vast majority of the clientele are lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭RossFixxxed

Bruxelles is the nicer bar, albeit smaller. It's cleaner and no longer smells of toilets.

Jager bombs 4.50 ftw also!

However, they need a few 'themed' nights or something. Thrash, death metal, some oldies (guns, tallica etc) and so on. I've found from a Tuesday night to a Saturday there's a clique that just plays downtuned rubbish. I hate it, and there is NO variety.

I used to love it for the different mix of rock, metal, grunge etc etc. And the drunken sing alongs, how do you sing to that stuff.... rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggghhh, deeeaaaaaaathhhhh, gggggggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, over compenstion, *double bass drum too fast* RRRRRGH

well apologies to anyone in last night - I was the drunken git that put everything on from FNM to Death to Xentrix to Children of Bodom :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

what this new place "scene" in stephens green centre?...apparently it has a juke box with 15000 metal songs! and 3.50e a pint. might be accounting for some of the emptyness in bruxelles...

although both fibbers and bruxelles need a kick up the arse with some competition...(especially fibbers for not fixing the place up for healthy human breathing).....gonna check it out on sat....

• Advertisement

what this new place "scene" in stephens green centre?...apparently it has a juke box with 15000 metal songs! and 3.50e a pint. might be accounting for some of the emptyness in bruxelles...

although both fibbers and bruxelles need a kick up the arse with some competition...(especially fibbers for not fixing the place up for healthy human breathing).....gonna check it out on sat....

aye the scene - 3.50 a drink before 12 and then 5 euro after 12

jukebox is pretty much the same as brux - mix of rock, metal, blah blah aswell as more popular music

Agnostic Front are playing there in August so it might be an idea to check it out - see what the sound is like - but its still a nice place and as an alternative to Brux/Fibbers too

Advertisement