Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removal of Ivy

Options
  • 28-07-2009 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi,

I live in the country and have a large area beside my garden which is currently wooded. I was hoping to open the area up a little and extend the garden into this area however the ground is covered in ivy. The area has been this way for many years and the ground is full of roots of this blasted weed!

Could anyone give me advice as to the best way to tackle this? I don't have the money to get the ground dug up and the roots removed manually nor do I have the patience to do it myself as it is quite a large area.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

It will be a nightmare to get rid of the ivy. Try looking at it as a 'wild' part of your garden and creatively working with it - maybe put a woodland path through it and plant some (native) bluebells, hostas, hellebores etc. along the path. Put up some birdfeeders. That would create another area of interest in your garden. It would also keep what is likely a crucial habitat for local wildlife.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Hardly a
    blasted weed

Consider covering some of the area with a breathable membrane which will let water through to the roots of the trees but the darkness will kill the ivy

• Registered Users Posts: 30 digidydaz

thanks you both for your replies.

While I mentioned that I wanted to extend the garden I didn't mention that the wooded area I wanted to extend into makes up about 2% of the total wooded area. So I doubt I will be impinging too much on the habitat in the area.

As for the comment that it is a weed, you're right, it's not a weed however it gets everywhere, is nigh impossible to control, kills tree, de-stabilises walls, need I go on?

I will look into a breathable membrane although right this moment I have no idea what it is or where I might get one.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Ivy doesn't kill trees and only damages already structurally dangerous walls.

Well the ivy that grows by my house seems to strangle the life out of trees and I have noticed this on a number of occasions.

As for the walls - Let ivy grow for 10 years on a traditional Irish stone wall and once you remove it watch the wall fall. The roots and branches (?) get so big that they destabilise the wall making it structurally unsound ^^

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Ive seen ivy thats been left to grow split whole buildings in half. And its a poxy job to remove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 geranimojess

Ivy doesn't kill trees and only damages already structurally dangerous walls.

have to contradict you there.Ivy does in fact kill Trees,I've seen Trees that have literally been choked to Death by Ivy and no matter how strong and sturdy a Wall is built all that the Ivy requires is a Pin Head of an opening to begin its Destruction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭valarie001

i have a massive ivy growing up an old cottage wall, i completely removed it except the bit that actually grew through the wall and its about the thickness of my arm:mad: cant get rid of it if i pull it out it will knock the wall, and it keeps sprouting new leaves, im at a loss wat to do with it! :confused:, except keer pulling off the new shoots, i hate ivy!!!:mad:

digidydaz wrote: »
    thanks you both for your replies.

While I mentioned that I wanted to extend the garden I didn't mention that the wooded area I wanted to extend into makes up about 2% of the total wooded area. So I doubt I will be impinging too much on the habitat in the area.

As for the comment that it is a weed, you're right, it's not a weed however it gets everywhere, is nigh impossible to control, kills tree, de-stabilises walls, need I go on?

I will look into a breathable membrane although right this moment I have no idea what it is or where I might get one.

Thanks again.
    Try Woodies or B&Q or any Garden Supplies Shop for your Membrane or if you want to save yourself a lot of Money try DIY. get a roll of Plastic in any Co-op Shop [if you live in the Country]cover whatever Areas you wish placing Stones and Rocks over the Sheeting to hold in place [hey-presto you also have an instant Rockery] place a few Pots with your favourite Plants and while your admiring your handiwork that plastic is working already killing the Ivy underneath it.oops nearly forgot to tell you to make sure the Plastic is Black, clear Plastic lets the Sunlight through.I tried it and its 100% Guaranteed to work.Good Luck.

valarie001 wrote: »
    i have a massive ivy growing up an old cottage wall, i completely removed it except the bit that actually grew through the wall and its about the thickness of my arm:mad: cant get rid of it if i pull it out it will knock the wall, and it keeps sprouting new leaves, im at a loss wat to do with it! :confused:, except keer pulling off the new shoots, i hate ivy!!!:mad:

Follow the Ivy back down to the Ground get yourself a Saw and cut the offending piece then purchase a reputable "Stump Killer" after boring a hole in the Ivy Stump pour the Liquid in to it covering the Stump with a plastic Bag you wont be bothered with that Stump anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

Re. ivy

I was advised to use round up, 50% water 50% round up. I did - it worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭valarie001

thanks geranimojess! will be doing that today:D

Thank you all for your help :)

Advertisement