Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kolo Toure to Man City for £15m?

• 28-07-2009 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1202611/Kolo-Toure-quits-Arsenal-15million-Manchester-City-defender-capture-Mark-Hughes--EXCLUSIVE.html
    Manchester City moved on from the disappointment of missing out on England captain John Terry by striking a £15million deal for Arsenal defender Kolo Toure.

The 28-year-old has agreed personal terms of around £120,000 per week — doubling his wages at Arsenal. He is expected to be unveiled later this week and could even figure in Saturday’s friendly at Barnsley.

His signing ends a nine-month pursuit by City manager Mark Hughes who first earmarked the Ivory Coast centre half back in November. Toure is one of three defenders Hughes wants to bring in as he re-assesses his targets following Terry’s decision to stay at Chelsea.

Everton’s Joleon Lescott remains in his sights, despite Everton being reluctant to sell, and Hughes is also considering a move for West Ham’s Matthew Upson.

Toure’s capture is still seen as a significant step forward by City’s hierarchy. Despite an indifferent past season he was viewed as a key member of Arsenal’s squad and his departure from the Emirates, so quick on the heels of that of Emmanuel Adebayor, seriously weakens another of City’s rivals for a place in the Premier League top four.

Toure asked to be placed on the transfer list in January after a bust-up with fellow defender William Gallas. City made several attempts to sign him but in the end decided to shelve their efforts until the summer.

Hughes still wants another two midfielders as City’s big spending continues.

Depleted Arsenal, who also look likely to offload Philippe Senderos, may now make a move for Fulham’s Brede Hangeland.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Interesting. I wonder will Wenger try for Dunne now. He's been linked a couple of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

a good deal for us i think. Kolo is in the last year of his deal and has requested a transfer as recent as last January.

Hopefully the £15million will be re-invested in a proven, younger centre half replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Interesting. I wonder will Wenger try for Dunne now. He's been linked a couple of times.

No chance imo

I hope not anyway, he's not top 4 calibre.

A proven DC (preferably over 6'0), and a DM should be our top priorities in the remainder of the window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Hangeland would be a good buy if Kolo went.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Would be a good piece of business for all sides; Man City need a quality centre half, Arsenal need money for squad investment and Toure doubles his wages. Arsenal will be left a little short at the back, but they have already signed a CB and 15 mil for a player in their last season is hard to turn down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What a shit signing. I know money is no object but this is a complete waste. He's not even worth half that imo. Great deal for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Arsene must think Sparky is Santa Claus. With Vermaelen and Gallas set to be first choice it's not like he needs a replacement for Toure is it? He's got Silvestre and Song as cover. Also with Eduardo likely to feature more, and Vela perhaps set to get more game time, I don't think he needs to replace Adebayor either.

I think really Wenger just needs a top defensive midfielder and Arsenal could have a very good season indeed. I wonder if he'll move for Veloso, particularly with Nasri out crocked at the minute.

I think Wenger with a wad of cash is a more dangerous prospect than Toure and Adebayor still being there since he has such a terrific record in the transfer market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Max Power1 wrote: »
    I hope not anyway, he's not top 4 calibre.
    Definitely is. He was consistently getting motm against the best strikers in the league before last season. Pity he hasn't got a nice foreign name like Hangeland (ffs most English rate Distin as a better player than Dunne...). Anyway this is a thread about Toure but Wenger has been linked with Dunne a few times and I think they could do with a dominant player like him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Ah glad to see we've stopped being a feeder club to Barcelona and started a new arrangement with Citeh. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

LOL!

£15m, what another good piece of business for the gunners.

I just hope for competition's sake that Wenger is allowed spend some of the money he is taking in from sales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What a shit signing. I know money is no object but this is a complete waste. He's not even worth half that imo. Great deal for Arsenal.

Not a bad deal for Toure either 120,000 a week. :eek:

Fooking hell!!! Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

This is just such a backward step. Firstly he's no better than any of the centre halves we currently have (Ben Haim excluded), and secondly he will most likely play which will stifle the develop of both Onouha and Kompany who are both in their early 20s. If we were going to sign a defender in and around his peak age we should have made sure it was someone better than the current crop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

a good deal for us i think. Kolo is in the last year of his deal and has requested a transfer as recent as last January.

Hopefully the £15million will be re-invested in a proven, younger centre half replacement.

such as? i think wenger should have tried to get micah richards as part of one of the deals- a move to arsenal could really kick start hos career

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

20 million for Lescott would force a sale IMO.

10 for Hangeland.

Even the likes of Huth at Boro would cost a fraction of 15 million.

Monoply Money does crazy crazy things.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

lol Wenger must love hearing Hughs' voice on the phone these days. 15mil for Kolo at this stage massive.

Didn't Wenger say, at the end of the season, that the team needed two established defensive players? Assuming Gallas and Vermeellan (sp?) are first choice does that really mean a new DM is coming in? What do Arsenal fans think of the idea of a new keeper? I know Almunia is alright but maybe he can be improved upon.

Seperate thread for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

why not? It is a big transfer between two english clubs. Look at the rules at the start of each super thread.

why not? It is a big transfer between two english clubs. Look at the rules at the start of each super thread.

Fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

What do you reckon the market value of Yaya Toure would be? That would be a better signing if he was interested in leaving Barca, which I suppose answers my own question.

• Advertisement

such as? i think wenger should have tried to get micah richards as part of one of the deals- a move to arsenal could really kick start hos career

Well not richards for a start! An average RB at best, he showed at times in the last 2 years when played at CB that he is an abomination. Lacks the fundamental instincts.

Hangeland (as mentioned already) could be a good signing. PL experience, tall, but not as young as wenger would like. Perhaps we could be back in for Upson? Lescott is one i would like to see in, if City dont get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

I couldn't see Wenger signing a Hangeland or Upson. Too old and expensive for him.
    I expect an under 25 replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Definitely is. He was consistently getting motm against the best strikers in the league before last season. Pity he hasn't got a nice foreign name like Hangeland (ffs most English rate Distin as a better player than Dunne...). Anyway this is a thread about Toure but Wenger has been linked with Dunne a few times and I think they could do with a dominant player like him.

Fulham conceded 16 fewer goals than City last season. That's one stat i'd be looking at as a manager.

According to SSN the deal is "close to completion" for £16million

What a great deal for arsenal, managed to get rid of whinebayor and toure, and also £41 million in the green!! Cant say better than that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

What a great deal for arsenal, managed to get rid of whinebayor and toure, and also £41 million in the green!! Cant say better than that!

I wouldn't say it's a great deal until you see what Arsenal do with the money. £41 million is great, but that's two big players that need to be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Savage summer's business as far as sales go from Wenger, gets rid of a whinging prima donna whos been fluttering his eyelids else where for 25 million and Toure, whos a semi decent defender but absolutely not top class for 16 million. He must be even happier than Hughes that the Arabs bought City.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Agreed in many ways.

But I would also say, given money is no object for Man City, pretty good business for them too.

Seriously that 'Are people underestimating Man City?' question is becoming more and more valid IMO.

On paper their team is looking very impressive. Depends on how they gel though.

Advertisement