Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

457 Visa Process

Options
  • 28-07-2009 8:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

ok for the 2nd DAMN TIME! (seriously how havent boards fixed the thing where it signs you out randomly yet!?) i know yet another visa thread is gonna piss off the Irish on here who answer daily questions along the lines of ''im thinking of moving to Australia is it easy or...?'' or ''so i hear gettin a visa is simple if you're a carpenter'' THAT said, ive searched and cant find what im looking for so here goes...

my company have offered sponsorship BUT arent too hot on paying a migration agent a few grand to do the legwork....does anyone have a ballpark figure for migration agent charges for a simple 457 visa? company has sponsored many people in australia, know initially it can be a bit more complex if they havent.

secondly just how difficult is it to try yourself?? recipe for disaster? any good guides on what way to go about it? (immi website is quite good but wordy as Fcuk!)

thanks for your help guys...looks like im gonna need it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

portomar wrote: »
    my company have offered sponsorship BUT arent too hot on paying a migration agent a few grand to do the legwork....does anyone have a ballpark figure for migration agent charges for a simple 457 visa? company has sponsored many people in australia, know initially it can be a bit more complex if they havent.

secondly just how difficult is it to try yourself?? recipe for disaster? any good guides on what way to go about it? (immi website is quite good but wordy as Fcuk!)

thanks for your help guys...looks like im gonna need it!

Sounds like your company are not really that on board, I would save your money or apply for permanent residency off your own bat. Imagine spending your cash on an agent then getting let go and having to leave.

As for a 457 that a hard question as most people who get one have their company do it and pay the bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭portomar

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Sounds like your company are not really that on board, I would save your money or apply for permanent residency off your own bat. Imagine spending your cash on an agent then getting let go and having to leave.

As for a 457 that a hard question as most people who get one have their company do it and pay the bill.

Why does it seem like they arent that on board?? because they want to save money on a migration agent!? its not written in stone you need one! i can tell you now he would be SCREWED without me, hence the sponsorship offer...anyone else have an idea of cost of migration agent??

Zambia232 wrote: »

and how can i apply for permanent resident when ive only been in the country 8 months??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

and how can i apply for permanent resident when ive only been in the country 8 months??

Who told you had to be in the country to apply for permanent Recidency?
    about 46% of PR visa are lodged from outside Australia and some of those have never even visited Australia.

A ball park figure for agent fees, visa application fee & X-Ray/Meds for a 457 would be about $3000 and roughly $6000 for Permanent Visa.

If you are as valuable an employee as you claim to be your employer should consider paying the $6000 for ENS without a second thought

try this web site for more info http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Print the forms off the website, fill them out, get employer to fill out his part, send them off with fee, chase them constantly, get sponsership.

Just get the ball roling and dont overthink it.

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Who told you had to be in the country to apply for permanent Recidency?
    about 46% of PR visa are lodged from outside Australia and some of those have never even visited Australia.

A ball park figure for agent fees, visa application fee & X-Ray/Meds for a 457 would be about $3000 and roughly $6000 for Permanent Visa.

If you are as valuable an employee as you claim to be your employer should consider paying the $6000 for ENS without a second thought

try this web site for more info http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

No one told me that mate but im IN australia and don't want to leave...thanks for the ballpark figures. Well he just offered me a 5 grand raise, moth off and round the world flight business class if i stay with him so..yea think he's shown that he values me. actually why am i trying to prove this to a stranger? ugh where's the panadol...

brendansmith, thanks mate, i'm going towards that alright, boss says he can get his lawyer to have a look over them before we lodge so think i should be ok doing it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

No one told me that mate but im IN australia and don't want to leave...thanks for the ballpark figures. Well he just offered me a 5 grand raise, moth off and round the world flight business class if i stay with him so..yea think he's shown that he values me. actually why am i trying to prove this to a stranger? ugh where's the panadol...

and he wont fork out for an agent to make sure things go smoothly :confused:

make sure ,if you get an agent, you get a good registered agent. Check the site (BE) mentioned earlier do a search on there and find recommendations for the very good agents.

Dont bother getting an agent, me and my boss did it ourselves. Its not a big deal, if a part of its wrong they will tell you and ammend it and sent it back.

Piece of pi$$

Dont bother getting an agent, me and my boss did it ourselves. Its not a big deal, if a part of its wrong they will tell you and ammend it and sent it back.

Piece of pi$$

fair play...you've made my weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Well he just offered me a 5 grand raise, moth off and round the world flight business class if i stay with him so..yea think he's shown that he values me. actually why am i trying to prove this to a stranger? ugh where's the panadol...

In that case dont bother with the 457 just hit him straight up for ENS 856 permanent recidency now and get it over and done with... If DIAC decide to raise the points system in the future you might be kicking yourself because you might not qualify, you get far more benefits with being permanent than temporary.

• Advertisement

fair play...you've made my weekend!!

How are you getting on with it?

Any questions, hit me up!

You can apply for permanent residency without being in the country at all.

In light of your earlier comments, maybe I misread you that your firm does not want to pay an agent or the fee for the Visa to DIAC? I would however be with mandrake on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

my mate got sponsored by his company. he done it all himself just got the company to fill out their part and it cost him $600. he said it was simple. once you application goes in you're put on a bridging visa and if they need anything else from they'll ring and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

portomar

As much help as alot of us here can give you we're no migration experts. Well I don’t think anyone here is anyway my apologies if you are. Anyway we can tell you that this guy done that and the other done this but if you really want things to work out talk to the experts.

From the little I can remember and it’s a long time ago, when I was thinking of getting sponsorship. The company had to prove to migrations that the job couldn’t be done by any other qualified person in Australia. Plus they have to advertise the job on national and local papers.

I’m sure you have taken a look at http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/ens/

Also if you maybe drop by http://www.skillshortagesolutions.net/ . Jason Greene is an Irish guy that has setup his own migration company .

Hope some of this helps .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 murnhome

I think you will find that for a permanent visa you will have a wait of about 18-24 month to process you will also have to complete a skills assessment course to get this visa.

A 457 visa is about 8-10 weeks.

I would advise you apply for both and the 457 will allow you to work in OZ while your permanent visa is processed.

No offence but I'm going to lock this as the op is probably well sorted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement