Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Security Suite Virus

Options
  • 28-07-2009 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭

HI

My wife DL'd a Windows Security Suite a few days ago and called me to look at it because it said we had a load of viruses etc.. I looked at it and though it was strange as it was telling me my firewalls and automatic updates etc where all switched off.. and when I checked they where all on. I then seen on a google search that it was a spyware program and ran both Avast and Norton and neither got ride of it. I then DL'd Malware bytes as someone suggested this before. It found and removed this"Windows Security Suite".

My problem is now that I cant sign into Google. As far as I can see everything else works and all other website programs etc but I can't sign into my Gmail , Google forums or any other Google accounts. I've gone through all the settings I can think off all everything seems fine. Can anyone please suggest a fix for me as its a nightmare having to go to someone else's house to check my Gmail..

Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

What happens when you try to sign in?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

Ponster wrote: »
    What happens when you try to sign in?

Firstly Google.ie no longer has the function to search for .ie sites only and instead of google logo with Ireland under it it says Google logo with English under it.

Then when I select the Mail link fromthe top of the google home page its Gives me this.
    Unable to connect

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.google.com.

* The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.

* If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.

* If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

This is the same whether in Internet explorer. firfox, or Google Chrome.??

Also just noted that when i go into Google preferences, it is telling me that my cookies are disabled even though I have checked in both IE and Firefox are they are on???
    Does this help ??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

tombull82 wrote: »
    That is the logon page alright.

Try using a different browser to see if that works?

• Advertisement

That is the logon page alright.

Try using a different browser to see if that works?

Yeah I've done this.. IE, Firefox and Google chrome. they all have the same problem..

I'm in the middle of backing everything up at the moment because I'm going to just go with a full system wipe (being needing one for a while anyway so this is the perfect excuse i suppose)
    It's my first time so here's hoping all comes back working OK:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Yeah I've done this.. IE, Firefox and Google chrome. they all have the same problem..

I'm in the middle of backing everything up at the moment because I'm going to just go with a full system wipe (being needing one for a while anyway so this is the perfect excuse i suppose)
    It's my first time so here's hoping all comes back working OK:D
    A bit late as you may have well done the re-install but you could try the repair option first?

A bit late as you may have well done the re-install but you could try the repair option first?

Could have really but to tell the truth its been running 3~4yrs now so was bunged up over stuff the kids and wife have been sticking on..

All well now since I re-installed XP. its like a new PC again.. Actually, I stuck in 1Gb extra Ram a few months back so its actually better than when it was new:D

Thanks for the thoughts

Could have really but to tell the truth its been running 3~4yrs now so was bunged up over stuff the kids and wife have been sticking on..

All well now since I re-installed XP. its like a new PC again.. Actually, I stuck in 1Gb extra Ram a few months back so its actually better than when it was new:D

Thanks for the thoughts
    Good to hear tom. Regular clean ups and keep an eye for any viruses/spyware.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,379 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was going to say do the Step-by-Step in the Virus and Malware Removal Forum. But yeah, my own preference is to back up precious data and documents, and then nuke the bastards from orbit :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement