Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating the advertised rent

Options
  • 28-07-2009 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi folks

I was hoping some kind, knowledgeable people out there could help me out.

Myself and my girlfriend are looking rent an apartment along the East coast (Dublin, Dun Laoghaire, Bray etc etc)
    We have noticed some lovely one and two bedroom places that would suit our needs perfectly and we are looking for advice on renting in todays market.

If anyone could shed some light on the following queries it would be much appreciated

1. Are landlords/estate agents willing to reduce the price by €200-€300 if the market is saturated with similar properties?
    2. Are reductions more likely to come from company owned properties or privately owned properties?
    3. Are reductions of €200-€300 likely to occur in one bedroom places?

I'd be happy to hear from other couples who are renting a two bedroom apartment/house but are the paying a similar price to a one bedroomed place.

I'd also appreciate advice on how to handle the negotiations

1. Should I play dumb and just make a proposal, which is below what I would pay?
    2. Should I state our intention to negotiate immediately?
    3. Should I enquire about the possibility of a reduced rent before even seeing the place?
    4. None of the above or something else.

I realise that this is a lot of information, but if someone could provide some of the requested information that would be most appreciated

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

Hi folks

I was hoping some kind, knowledgeable people out there could help me out.

Myself and my girlfriend are looking rent an apartment along the East coast (Dublin, Dun Laoghaire, Bray etc etc)
    We have noticed some lovely one and two bedroom places that would suit our needs perfectly and we are looking for advice on renting in todays market.

If anyone could shed some light on the following queries it would be much appreciated

1. Are landlords/estate agents willing to reduce the price by €200-€300 if the market is saturated with similar properties?
    2. Are reductions more likely to come from company owned properties or privately owned properties?
    3. Are reductions of €200-€300 likely to occur in one bedroom places?

I'd be happy to hear from other couples who are renting a two bedroom apartment/house but are the paying a similar price to a one bedroomed place.

I'd also appreciate advice on how to handle the negotiations

1. Should I play dumb and just make a proposal, which is below what I would pay?
    2. Should I state our intention to negotiate immediately?
    3. Should I enquire about the possibility of a reduced rent before even seeing the place?
    4. None of the above or something else.

I realise that this is a lot of information, but if someone could provide some of the requested information that would be most appreciated

Thanks in advance

I would expect a reduction of 2-3 especially on 1-2 beds, especially in the Bray area. I would look at places on daft first, , ring them, state that you are good tenants offer them 2-300 less before seeing the place. Saves wasting your time. If any landlord refusing to negotiate these days - they are well worth avoiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rev.beernan

Cheers Geem

I appreciate your advice,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

I would be surprised of a reduction of 300 p/m - the property would want to be on the market for a good while before the landlord was getting that desperate.

On negotiations - it depends on how flexible you are. If you cant afford the apt unless the rent is dropped by 300, then you could always tell them that X is your max rental budget - and see what they say.

If you just want the cheapest rent - but also want a nice apt - I would meet them first and look around the apartment and decide if I liked it and then ask if the rent is negotiable. They will prob have to go back to the landlord anyway and wont be able to make a decision themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭pigeonbutler

Going flat hunting shortly myself. In Dublin city centre. Looking for somewhere in D 1,2 or 4. Less than a grand. Anyone had recent experiences of willingness of letting agents/landlords to knock a bit off the advertised price?

Some d1 places seem pretty reasonably priced but out in the docklands (where I know there's a massive stock of vacant new apartments) some of them are asking for silly money. Saw a 2 bed in spencer dock for 1800!! Are those guys still delusional or are they really gonna be willing to knock big chunks off?

I'll find out for myself next week when I start picking up the phone but I'd be interested to hear the experiences of others.

Advertisement