Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recognising Volunteers -Ireland Involved Awards

Options
  • 28-07-2009 10:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi all,

Just to let you know that nominations are now open for the Ireland Involved Awards www.irelandinvolved.ie - it's simple to nominate someone you think is a great volunteer and deserves a clap on the back. So many volunteers do amazing work totally under the radar - it's time to bring them out and give them a big buala bos!

The ceremony takes place on 5th Dec in Royal Hospital Kilmainham and includes dinner. It's all sponsored by Specsavers so all the nominees have to do is show up :)

You must know someone who gives their time and energy to a cause or organisation, and deserves some recognition so nominate them now... www.irelandinvolved.ie

Oh, and once the nominees are shortlisted in Sept, you'll be able to get other people to help them by writing messages of support on their page on the website.

Please pass the message on....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 kadder

it's always good to recognise volunteers but in the times we are in I find myself being a bit uncomfortable at seeing an glitzy awards ceremony celebrating volunteers and volunteering. Personally - i think there's an obligation on us all to do something in our communities to be good citizens with no need for recognition - it's just our duty. I'd prefer seeing the money that is going into theses ceremonies being put to better use - maybe into supporting projects that involve volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 spade

Hi Kadder,

I completely understand where you're coming from - a glitzy bash would be inappropriate to the sector and the ethos of volunteering anyway. You can see what it was like last year on the site.

I also agree about volunteers getting involved to give something back not to look for recognition - the point of this award scheme is to highlight what is going on every day and showcase the great work that volunteers do. By bringing inspiring stories to light, especially on a national stage, it should raise awareness of volunteering and the huge contribution made by volunteers especially in these straitened times. Hopefully it could help inspire more people to become involved in their local communities as you say, and also for potential sponsors to become involved.

I don't know if you've seen this video about Marie Carroll and her gym in Bayside last year's winner- http://www.irelandinvolved.ie/irish-volunteer-of-the-year-2008/

Advertisement