Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pre 63

• 28-07-2009 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have carried out a survey on a building which is separated into bedsit apartments, all with their own MPRN. The ratings come in terrible as the living space is almost the size of the bedsit and in this case the heating is electric.

If I am to calculate one rating for the whole house, it comes in significantly better (from a G to an E1, granted my calculations for the whole house were estimated). A G rating is unfair for these bedsits because the general public are going to think that they are almost inhabitable because of F & G ratings. Yes the heating is electric but they are well insulated and small in size.

Is there another way to carry out these ratings?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

engrish? wrote: »
    Hi,

I have carried out a survey on a building which is separated into bedsit apartments, all with their own MPRN. The ratings come in terrible as the living space is almost the size of the bedsit and in this case the heating is electric.

If I am to calculate one rating for the whole house, it comes in significantly better (from a G to an E1, granted my calculations for the whole house were estimated). A G rating is unfair for these bedsits because the general public are going to think that they are almost inhabitable because of F & G ratings. Yes the heating is electric but they are well insulated and small in size.

Is there another way to carry out these ratings?

i dont understand your question.... what has pre 63 got to do with anything??

if the assessment has been done correctly then the rating is what it is...
    the only way i can see to change it is to do intrusive surveys on the construction and calculate the u values....
    how have you accounted for the "well insulated" elements??
    have you included for non heat loss elements or semi exposed?

DEAP is notorious hard on smaller units than on larger units...

are all the floor areas over 50m2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SilverBER

The question of floor area raises its ugly head yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭engrish?

No, around 22sqm each.

I was wondering, instead of doing a ber on each bedsit, could I do one for the whole house, taking one bedsit as the sitting room.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    i dont understand your question.... what has pre 63 got to do with anything??

I mention Pre 63 as it is a building that was once a house, that was turned into bedsits. So each bedsit is self contained, but a part of what was once a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭SilverBER

engrish? wrote: »
    No, around 22sqm each.

I was wondering, instead of doing a ber on each bedsit, could I do one for the whole house, taking one bedsit as the sitting room.

Sounds a bit iffy to me. 48 sqm is one thing but 22? I think I'd be walking away from it or at least ask SEI to referee it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,915 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i would think these are exempt...

i know theres an argument as to whether they are 'stand alone' or not... but my interpretation is that once they exist as independent units they are stand alone...

i think, as silverber says, you should contact sei for clarification...

Have done, thanks. Will let you know the response.

Dear engrish?,

Thank you for contacting Sustainable Energy Ireland (SEI) with your query regarding BER certificates. Your reference number for this query is *****************

If the apartments are being sold or let individually a BER certificate is required for each apartment. If the building as a whole is offered for sale or rent then one BER is required for the whole building.

The definition of a dwelling assumes a separate unit of living accommodation. A residential building consisting of three bedsits which share communal bath/shower/toilet facilities would be regarded as one dwelling unit. One of these bedsits can not be properly regarded as a separate unit of accommodation (or sold independently) as it does not have its own bath/shower/toilet facilities. If the owner decides to offer the entire dwelling for sale or letting in one go a single BER certificate would be required. In this respect the dwelling (which happens consists of three bedsits) is being treated the same as any other dwelling. If one of the bedsits was big enough to be converted (by adding shower/toilet facilities) into an independent, separate dwelling unit then it could possibly be regarded as a separate unit of accommodation and require a BER in its own right.

We trust you have found this information useful and if you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

Niamh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Heres what SEI said before;
    "we have consulted with the Department of Environment, Heritage and Local Government on this issue. "Standalone" refers to detached buildings. In other words, apartments must have a BER cert even if they are smaller than 50m2."
    If they are completely self contained I would treat them as apartments.Especially if they all have an MPRN number.
    Seems like a bad result for them,hopefully you are not counting the party walls as heat loss elements.

recedite wrote: »
    Seems like a bad result for them,hopefully you are not counting the party walls as heat loss elements. [/font]

I'm not, and the hall is heated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement