Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting landlord's number??

Options
  • 28-07-2009 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Thing is we are dealing through an ea and they are being less then helpful and do nothing that's asked of them. Been here one year still not got tv working and the ea dont seem to care. So are they legally obliged to give us landlord number so we can speak personally ourselves? Like just want to make landlord aware of situation and hopefully mess with ea's because way been treated. If not is there anything else you can think to do? any help be apreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭geem

ILikePoker wrote: »
    Thing is we are dealing through an ea and they are being less then helpful and do nothing that's asked of them. Been here one year still not got tv working and the ea dont seem to care. So are they legally obliged to give us landlord number so we can speak personally ourselves? Like just want to make landlord aware of situation and hopefully mess with ea's because way been treated. If not is there anything else you can think to do? any help be apreciated

Get on the PRTB website, check the address is registered. Did they give you a ber cert? Send letter to EA saying you are getting legal advice unless the issues outstanding are addressed. If you've been there a year I would give notice and find somewhere else, I know it's a hassle to move, but they've had a year and this suggests to me a very bad landlord. Find a cheaper place, take no notice of advertised rates, offer a much lower rate, good tenants are had to find.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Seriously- as long as you stay there the estate agent doesn't give a damn. Threaten to move- then the estate agent looses its commission.

If you have a look on the PRTB website you will see whether the tenancy is registered- and there should be contact info for the landlord there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ILikePoker

well there is no ber cert giving to us which as I presumed didnt didnt have to get it til new tenants. So not sure if they have a ber cert on apt now. Looking at contract they actually dont mention tv has to be provided in contract but stupidly acepted there word on it it be done when moving in. The apt is registered. The apt is under a comapny and seen someone from company one day and he seemed surprised and heard nothing on the issue. There is just company name in contract. cant find it on google tho or golden pages. I know sounds stupid sounds but think its a case the ea not bothering to contact landlord to resolve issue. So is best to just leave at this stage? I feel tho if we entilted to landlord number and spoke directly with him be resolved can we obtain the landlord's number somehow? any help be appreciated

If its registered to a company- rather than a private individual- god only knows who the landlord is.

Rents have been consistently trending downwards- its highly likely that you'll have very little trouble getting a similar property for less than you're paying at present.

Note: Normally it would up to a tenant to sort cable and tv licence? You didn't go into any detail of what the actual issue is that you're annoyed about- I am guessing a TV set was present in the property- but you do not have a service? If you actually state what the issue is- perhaps some of the good folk here may be able to offer you some suggestions?

bascially have no channels on the tv. they said they have it fixed monday took flat friday. since then every time we call they say we be back in contact with you obv never do so told them last month we have to hand in notice when contract up and they still not being helpful. Last week said they had an appointment for chorus today and now it appears not when i rang ea's this morning (actually said you must have wrong number when enquired until i mentioned their names). We be even happy with irish channels but when they rerubished the apt block the satelite got damaged so no tv works in whole block and seems to be new tenants whole in other 2 apt's. The contract up start of Spetember agreeing to drop rent to apporopraite rate start of september and would like to stay easier then moving and students so idea signing 12month contract not so appealing as finished college this year and dont wanna tie myself down next summer. My bro said he seen on tv once where you have to have contact details for landlord any truth in this? thanks for help

somehow think its dead end and just have to bite tongue and move on

• Advertisement

The Estate Agent is acting as an agent on behalf of the landlord (whoever he or she may be). Even if they are proving difficult to contact- you have contact details for them.

Does your contract specify the provision of cable tv? If not- it would be up to you to contact a providor, with the permission of your landlord, to establish a service connection. Check and see what your contract states.

Tell them that you only want a 9 month contract from the start of September, that it is contingent on the provision of services to include cable tv/internet (whatever you want), and at a set deduction on what you're paying at present.

It is a renters market with respect of apartments- you are in fact in a position to state what you're looking for- and what you're willing to pay to get it. Don't be unreasonable or unrealistic- and base your expectations on what similar properties in the area are going for- don't pull stuff out of thin air.......

thanks been very helpful

Advertisement