Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why replace alarm box that works?

Options
  • 28-07-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

My wife is considering replacing the alarm box (that works just fine) with a new bow that has some lights that flash on and off. The alarm guy quoted €140 and i think its a mad waste of money.
    Can anybody tell me if this new box is any better. i'd have thought that the most important thing is to have an alarm that works.
    Typical sales pitch, "call and book as we only have a few in stock."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

All alarms which have been manufactured in the last 15 years or so will have a SAB (Self Activating Bell) in the alarm box.
    This is a battery fitted so that if the power is removed from the alarm or if the cable has been cut, the external bell box will sound.
    Assuming you have one of these and the battery is still functional, there is no real need for a new box.
    If the battery has gone, you will probably be able to replace it and recycle the old one anyhow!

Other situations where a new box could be required would be if the old one is badly faded or if the branding has fallen off - this may make it appear to be a dummy box, so may not deter thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Because your misses said so! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

Koolaboola wrote: »
    My wife is considering replacing the alarm box (that works just fine) with a new bow that has some lights that flash on and off. The alarm guy quoted €140 and i think its a mad waste of money.
    Can anybody tell me if this new box is any better. i'd have thought that the most important thing is to have an alarm that works.
    Typical sales pitch, "call and book as we only have a few in stock."

The new bell box would be a good deterrent for any would be thief. they are set to ring for 15 minutes in the event of a power cut so if it does activate it wont annoy the neighbours. the price is ok, you could expect to pay between €100 - €150 to have a new external bell installed, lucky you did not ring eircom phonewatch for it, they charge €260 for a new external bell which is a rip off. hence why most of there systems have dummy bell boxes on them. i would ring a few other companys if that was there sales pitch regarding only having a few in stock, might even save yourself a few quid in the process..

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Koolaboola

So it seems we are getting ok value. I'll stay with the guy that's quoted us for one simple reason, when you phone another alarm company for a quote they will you that they can't do it. Seems the alarm companies have some sort of Omerta thing going. Only service what they install.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

altor wrote: »
    lucky you did not ring eircom phonewatch for it, they charge €260 for a new external bell

Yikes, that is a lot. I wanted to add one to my PW system, but not at that price. I'd guess its pretty simple to add one in ones self if your somewhat ok with electronics. I've relocated my system and changed the backup battery. while doing so I noticed the terminals on the main board for adding in auxiliary sirens etc, its just a matter if figuing out the right configuration and complatible external siren I reckon. I must I'd my system and source an installer manual for it.

• Advertisement

Koolaboola wrote: »
    So it seems we are getting ok value. I'll stay with the guy that's quoted us for one simple reason, when you phone another alarm company for a quote they will you that they can't do it. Seems the alarm companies have some sort of Omerta thing going. Only service what they install.

Yes it is good value, what type of system do you have ? Thats true, many alarm companys have there own client base so dont go after old systems. I myself service any alarm system, but some systems installed are way past fixing but most can be replaced and brought up to the standards of today with a little bit of work. Most times the sensors on your windows and doors work fine but some times people dont even no they dont work and dont get them checked because they can still set there alarm. At the end of the day the alarm is there to protect and act as a deterrent to someone who wants to break in and there is no point having one if it does not work..

Yikes, that is a lot. I wanted to add one to my PW system, but not at that price. I'd guess its pretty simple to add one in ones self if your somewhat ok with electronics. I've relocated my system and changed the backup battery. while doing so I noticed the terminals on the main board for adding in auxiliary sirens etc, its just a matter if figuing out the right configuration and complatible external siren I reckon. I must I'd my system and source an installer manual for it.

Its a rip off to be honest.. You do know by you adding things on and relocating your alarm panel regardless of who installed it is making your alarm not up to standards plus it makes your nsai cert invalid as only certified alarm companys can do anything to your alarm to keep it up to standards. For phonewatch or any other monitoring station to monitor your alarm you need to have it serviced at lease once a year by a certified alarm company. That aside, it is easy to add a external bell to your system. when ever you want to do it just post and i will let you know how it is done..

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭JohnDigital

Cheers Altor, yea I was aware of the NSAI stuff, but didn't know that for the monitoring it was supposed to be serviced, they never mentioned it. I must get them out for a health check at some stage soon. It all seems fine at the moment, but no harm in getting them to give it the once over. I'm paying for it anyway I know with the monitoring charges.

Cheers Altor, yea I was aware of the NSAI stuff, but didn't know that for the monitoring it was supposed to be serviced, they never mentioned it. I must get them out for a health check at some stage soon. It all seems fine at the moment, but no harm in getting them to give it the once over. I'm paying for it anyway I know with the monitoring charges.

Thats phonewatch alright.. they will only contact you when they want money off you :)

Advertisement