Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous Breeds

Options
  • 28-07-2009 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just a warning on dogs listed as "dangerous". Please make sure never to leave a child alone with them or the following may happen.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

hahaha aw thats brilliant!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 harryR

great picture,I have a bull terrier and the bad press bull breeds get kills me,the legislation must be changed reguarding the 'restricted breed' list.. ridiclious muzzlin a perfectly tempered dog on a lead in public.

(small rant over)

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭jen_23

Aaaaawwwwwhhhh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I love dogs. I remember my first encounter with an american pit bull.

It was actually in the US. I was calling around to a woman with my friend to look at a job to on the house.

Despite my love of dogs there was a prejudice there.

Next thing this beast runs towards me, starts growling.. and drops a sock at my feet... (i said to myself holy sh1t that must be all thats left of is last meal!) The woman of the house says.. throw the sock.. he wants to play...

...and so we did.. myself and the dog spent the next half an hour rolling around the place wrestling over a sock!! Biggest egit of a dog i ever meet!! :D

Not very professional of me, but ive a soft spot for mutts!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Love It! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Zadkiel

Hi all,

I've only had positive encounters with any of the bull breeds, I got bitten by a collie on a rampage once though. I love dogs though,

I know this is a lighthearted thread but I found this recently and thought it was interesting how skewed statistics can be relating to dog attacks and fatalities, so mods please feel free to move if necessary.
    I thought people might be interested in reading it.

This part in particular I found particularly troubling. Whilst all of it may not be 100% accurate if even half of the reporting in the study was true no wonder people have a biased view of " restricted breeds"
    This is an outline of how the CDC in America rate dog attack statistics.

"When multiple dogs of the same breed were involved in the same fatal episode, that breed was counted only once (eg, if 10 Akitas attacked and killed a person, that breed was counted once rather than 10 times). When crossbred dogs were involved in a fatality, each suspected breed in the dog’s lineage was counted once for that episode. Second, we tallied data by dog. When multiple dogs of the same breed were involved in a single incident, each
    dog was counted individually. We allocated crossbred dogs into separate breeds and counted them similarly (eg, if 3 Great Dane-Rottweiler crossbreeds attacked a person, Great Dane was counted 3 times under crossbred, and Rottweiler was counted 3 times under crossbred). Data are presented separately for dogs identified as pure- and crossbred.
    (CDC Special Report on breeds involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998, September 2000) "

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/CDCReport/CDCReport.htm

I'd hate to see further prejudice against certain dog breeds creeping into Irish legislation. So I was just wondering have Ireland done a study of their own or are they piggybacking on the statistics of other countries?

I looked but couldnt find anything online, thanks for reading my ramble!

Zad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Luxy

You know, I read a recent report (that I can't cite, but if you google what I'm about to say you're sure to find information on it) that claims that of all reported dog attacks resulting in serious injury, COCKER SPANIELS commit just as many if not more attacks that the "dangerous" breeds.

Yet people refuse to acknowledge this because these dogs are so cute & fluffy. I don't see ownership of Cocker Spaniels getting cracked down upon any time soon, do you? It just goes to show how so many of these new dog laws are based upon stereotypes as opposed to hard facts.

(Just as a side note, I personally witnessed a friend of mine being set upon by her own Cocker Spaniel & it taking a chunk out of her leg, so I'm not surprised about the results of report I mentioned at all.)

EDIT;
    Here's a link to the report I mentioned;
    http://dsc.discovery.com/news/2009/05/22/cocker-spaniel-aggressive.html

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

half the so called dog experts havent a clue,this is the top ten most dangerous dog breeds--pit bulls,rottweilers, german sheperds, ,huskies,malamutes,dobermans,chow chow,presa canario, boxer,and at number ten,dalmation

Zadkiel wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've only had positive encounters with any of the bull breeds, I got bitten by a collie on a rampage once though. I love dogs though,

I know this is a lighthearted thread but I found this recently and thought it was interesting how skewed statistics can be relating to dog attacks and fatalities, so mods please feel free to move if necessary.
    I thought people might be interested in reading it.

This part in particular I found particularly troubling. Whilst all of it may not be 100% accurate if even half of the reporting in the study was true no wonder people have a biased view of " restricted breeds"
    This is an outline of how the CDC in America rate dog attack statistics.

"When multiple dogs of the same breed were involved in the same fatal episode, that breed was counted only once (eg, if 10 Akitas attacked and killed a person, that breed was counted once rather than 10 times). When crossbred dogs were involved in a fatality, each suspected breed in the dog’s lineage was counted once for that episode. Second, we tallied data by dog. When multiple dogs of the same breed were involved in a single incident, each
    dog was counted individually. We allocated crossbred dogs into separate breeds and counted them similarly (eg, if 3 Great Dane-Rottweiler crossbreeds attacked a person, Great Dane was counted 3 times under crossbred, and Rottweiler was counted 3 times under crossbred). Data are presented separately for dogs identified as pure- and crossbred. (CDC Special Report on breeds involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998, September 2000) "

http://www.understand-a-bull.com/BSL/CDCReport/CDCReport.htm

I'd hate to see further prejudice against certain dog breeds creeping into Irish legislation. So I was just wondering have Ireland done a study of their own or are they piggybacking on the statistics of other countries?

I looked but couldnt find anything online, thanks for reading my ramble!

Zad
    ireland never did a study on dangerous breeds,the so called experts put the english bully on the dangerous dog list also to have a muzzle on,untill it was explained in goverment that the bully has never been dangerous ,and it is impossible to muzzle a dog who hasent got a muzzle

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭DBCyc

getz wrote: »
    half the so called dog experts havent a clue,this is the top ten most dangerous dog breeds--pit bulls,rottweilers, german sheperds, ,huskies,malamutes,dobermans,chow chow,presa canario, boxer,and at number ten,dalmation

Hi - where does that list come from? How do they define "dangerous"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 harryR

ireland just piggybacked off england with its list,we dont want to be startin a whole bull breeds v the media thread here but their partly to blame,its ridiclous to label all the bull breeds the same,i recently seen a poodle biting a kid in spain but that wont make the news,the legislation has to be changed,id be in favour of keeping al dogs on leads in public and designating dog parks or something,theres also a lot of dogs not on tha restricted breed list that going by the standard of the list they should be,lots of molossers ect,also as i far as i know theres only been one fatal dog attack in ireland and thats by a greyhound,(correct me if im wrong)

harryR wrote: »
    ireland just piggybacked off england with its list

Oh, so the list is the "restricted breeds" list then. I thought getz was referring to some study of the most dangerous breeds of dogs.

BTW @engrish? - brilliant pic! :D

DBCyc wrote: »
    Hi - where does that list come from? How do they define "dangerous"?
    the way i got into the web site was to type in ask.com then ask the question; most dangerous dogs; upwill come the site.petsdo.com/most dangerous breeds

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

ireland never did a study on dangerous breeds,the so called experts put the english bully on the dangerous dog list also to have a muzzle on,untill it was explained in goverment that the bully has never been dangerous ,and it is impossible to muzzle a dog who hasent got a muzzle

Its not a dangerous dogs list, its a RESTRICTED BREEDS list.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Every breed of dog has a certain level of aggression. They're all decendant of one of the ultimate predators for flip's sake. The other side of that coin is that their comman ancestor is one of the most social animals bar apes you'll find in the wild as well.

In my opinion it takes training ( read : destroying beyond recognition ) to turn a dog into an indiscriminately violent animal. Like any other animal a dog will naturaly reserve it's fighting and defensive capabilities for when it feels it needs them.

All bull terrier style mutts I've ever encountered were typical terriers : playful, inquisitive and a bit of character. But were they indiscriminately aggressive : no. Same for the dreaded Rottweiler; all the ones I've encountered that weren't deliberately screwed up by their owners are playful to the extent of sillyness.

the way i got into the web site was to type in ask.com then ask the question; most dangerous dogs; upwill come the site.petsdo.com/most dangerous breeds

you mean this site. that list is ridiculous.
    Pit bulls...They will lock their jaws onto the prey until it's dead.

Isn't that a myth / old wives tale?
    Dobermans are great guard dogs for their alertness, intelligence and loyalty. They can be agressive dogs when provoked.

Cant' any breed of dog become agressive when provoked?
    Alaskan Malamutes...These dogs are very energetic and active. If they are bored, they can become destructive

A lot of dogs will become destructive when they are bored and not given enough excercise.
    Chow Chow...These dogs can be aggressive if poorly bred.

WTF? Any poorly bred dog can have problems with health, temperament etc. So why does this put a Chow Chow on such a list.
    Boxers...Unlike their name suggest, these dogs are not typically aggressive by nature.

Eh...as i said above...ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭leelee_m

^that list really is ridiculous! As a husky owner it appalls me that anyone could consider them dangerous especially considering that anything you read about them says their nature is friendly. :rolleyes:

DBCyc wrote: »
    you mean this site. that list is ridiculous.

Isn't that a myth / old wives tale?

Cant' any breed of dog become agressive when provoked?

A lot of dogs will become destructive when they are bored and not given enough excercise.

WTF? Any poorly bred dog can have problems with health, temperament etc. So why does this put a Chow Chow on such a list.

Eh...as i said above...ridiculous
    i agree i think the same as you,i love all breeds of dog .all i was pointing out was that list as what some people think, the wording restricted breeds/dangerous dogs is only a play on words.the dogs are not on the list because a goverment thinks that they are to ugly to walk around without a muzzle.its because they wrongly think they can be dangerous,as far as some bull breeds, locking on is not so much as a myth as you may think, the word also can loosely meen ,holding on,to its opponent this what the early bulldog did when bringing down the bull,[a early form of sport]

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭tesslab

What a load a c**p on that site. One of the funniest on the list is the dalmation! A friend of mine has one and is the biggest goon of a dog I've ever met.
    I believe any dog can be aggressive in the wrong hands. Its so unfair to responsible owners that their dogs cant run around the parks with the other dogs just because of the breed.
    Most people I have come across with a restricted breed are responsible owners who have researched the breed and are well capable of controlling their dogs.
    Maybe a restricted owners list would be more fitting for the small % of irresponsible dog owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

Boxer? Are you mad ?

• Advertisement

tony231974 wrote: »
    Boxer? Are you mad ?
    i think the experts[hic] who compile these lists,do not know the the modern breed, all they do is look what the dog was used for in the passed,l ie the dalmatian ,that was used for hunting and guarding carriages from thiefs and robbers, and the boxer was ment to guard homes from intruders-both of these dogs have changed in temperament and looks from their ancestors,

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

Who are these so called experts.They sound like a pack a wasters.
    Could some one do a new search on dangerous breeds.

tony231974 wrote: »
    Who are these so called experts.They sound like a pack a wasters.
    Could some one do a new search on dangerous breeds.
    to be honest with you ,if one is looking for the most dangerous animal [pet] it seems that the horse in the one that is top of the list;lets put that on the restricted list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

pitbull.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭SunnyP

My step daughter was walking one of my boxers (who was approx 8 months ) and a 'concerned' neighbour later asked me did I think it was safe for the child to be walking the dog at first I thought she was having a laugh but she was deadly serious. The childs father was standing at our gate at the time watching the walk which consisted of the dog being lead around the green crazy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Spiderman80884

Only yesterday, walking my dog (on it's lead) I was happily enjoying the cold and rain when an unleaded, unmuzzled, Staffordshire Bull Terrier attacked my dog. There was a girl walking behind the Staffy who I had thought it belonged to. It didn't. Then I see a guy without a dog but with a lead in his hand. I had managed to separate my collie and the staffy who I had commanded to sit (which I was glad it understood). It sat for a short time, but stood up. Tbh was f*king terrified standing between my dog and the bull terrier.

This idiot then arrives without so much as a say or do. I pointed out to him that he should have his dog leaded and muzzled to which he replies "chill out man". I was f*king apoplectic!!! While I have no issue whatsoever with the dog in question, the owner of the dog was complete moron. After leading up his dog he then followed us very closely until we got to a junction. It was particularly threatening/ I waited at the junction to see which way the scumbag and his dog were going and went the other way.

The problem these breeds have is that their particular breed draws the attention of neanderthals who have nothing between their ears. Of course there are many owners of these dogs who love them for their beauty, loyalty, etc. the same reasons I have my collie. However they can (and do) draw a particular mindset which effectively gets them a bad name.

There was no way if this dog had any time to get ti grips with my dog that I would be able to separate them apart from luck. As I had my dog on his lead, I was close enough to get between before the p.b.had a chance.

The unfortunate reality is that the law cannot legislate for the scumbags, therefore the dogs take the heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The saddest thing evident on that linked website is the apparent neanderthal ownership of the breeds with a 'hard' image. The huskies and malamutes are photographed in playful poses (because they're not normally considered 'hard' fighting dogs), but look at the disgusting hatchett job done on the ear cropping of the 'hard' breeds! The ears on the pitbull are bad enough, but those two presa canarios look like some bastard took a hedge clippers to them. :(

I despair of the human race. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Only yesterday, walking my dog (on it's lead) I was happily enjoying the cold and rain when an unleaded, unmuzzled, Staffordshire Bull Terrier attacked my dog. There was a girl walking behind the Staffy who I had thought it belonged to. It didn't. ..

As I had my dog on his lead, I was close enough to get between before the p.b.had a chance..

This is kind of confusing, because your talking about one dipsh*t and two entirely different breeds of dog!.

But none the less, yes the bull breeds draw a certain type of creature to them. But that will pass, when I was a kid it was the GSD and during the 80's all the 'supposed' hard men had Dobbies. And for a very short period during the 90's it was Rotties (Sky News loved to refer to them as 'Devil Dogs').

But the media, through its ignorant reporting of dog attacks has hyped the reputation that the bull breeds are a particularly dangerous dog, which makes them attractive to gougers.

When I've my guys out I can honestly say, hand on heart, that they've been attacked by JRT's and West Highland Terriers. When I see these dogs approaching (its kinda funny) because first I pick up on the reaction of their owner - they see my two & think 'oh oh, PITBULLS', and its me who'll take my dogs out of their path for fear of their dogs attacking mine!.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

i read sometime back that dog shelters were getting more and more english bull terriers in ,,,,the reason being hard lads were getting them for the image,,,then they realize that what these dogs love is to sit by the fire and relax Not go out savaging people,,,,,,,,love those dogs by the way,,,:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

This is kind of confusing, because your talking about one dipsh*t and two entirely different breeds of dog!.

But none the less, yes the bull breeds draw a certain type of creature to them. But that will pass, when I was a kid it was the GSD and during the 80's all the 'supposed' hard men had Dobbies. And for a very short period during the 90's it was Rotties (Sky News loved to refer to them as 'Devil Dogs').

But the media, through its ignorant reporting of dog attacks has hyped the reputation that the bull breeds are a particularly dangerous dog, which makes them attractive to gougers.

When I've my guys out I can honestly say, hand on heart, that they've been attacked by JRT's and West Highland Terriers. When I see these dogs approaching (its kinda funny) because first I pick up on the reaction of their owner - they see my two & think 'oh oh, PITBULLS', and its me who'll take my dogs out of their path for fear of their dogs attacking mine!.

Same here I've a doberman cross and she is terrified of small dogs especially jrt's ,had to leave the lead go one day and let her run down the hill home because a neighbours 3 jrt's came running out her garden barking and headed straight for my babe,i could n't fight them off or out run them so i had to let her run home by herself,,they are more "dangerous" than my dobie:rolleyes:

Advertisement