Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a haircut in town

Options
  • 28-07-2009 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I paid €13.50 for a trim at one of the hairdresser brothers establishment on Ellen St. 10mins. max.
    Is this a bit steep? I could have sworn their price has gone up again recently despite all the bulls**t talk about 'deflation' and the service sector dropping it's prices.

Is there anywhere in town where I can have a basic hair-trim for a more reasonable price. I heard there's someplace up Thomas St. near the old fire station location.
    Anyone know about it?

John.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Post No. 30 in the Limerick City Bargain Alerts thread:
    €7 for a gents dry haircut in Ali's in upper Thomas Street (Mondays to Thursdays inclusive). Said I'd give them a mention as was well pleased with finished result. They seem a friendly lot in there also.

- You're quiet right; I've noticed them edging for €20 in a lot of places recently - they're charging €16-€18 and then expecting the full €20 to be thrown to them.....

Johnny near Rio's in Castletroy is now famous for this - I've heard a good few people mention recently how he just can't seem to find any change whenever someone hands him a €20 note........

Ali is the Aldi of Barber shops - driving prices down; wouldn't go anywhere else!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Do you tip barbers? I dont think I have ever tipped one, should i be?

Hmmmm - Maybe throw them a € or something next time?

bad-haircut1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭Comhrá

€7 for a gents dry haircut in Ali's in upper Thomas Street (Mondays to Thursdays inclusive). Said I'd give them a mention as was well pleased with finished result. They seem a friendly lot in there also.
    That's more like it!! Thanks, johndaman66.
    I'll try them next time, then go down to the crowd in Ellen st. and tell them the bad news........ them and their oul' dry jokes as the fleece you (pardon the pun) ....... "we're open again after dinner" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Raiser wrote: »
    Hmmmm - Maybe throw them a € or something next time?
    dont get me wrong, Im generally good at tipping, just I didnt realise it was the done thing, especially with the price

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 tonywalshh

there is a barber on top of Thomas St who only charges €7 during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I now wait until Im out of the city to get my hair cut. You get a good cut in Galway city for €9 and get a fairly decent cut in Cork City for €10.

My local barber, self thought, charges €15 and its only ok. Im glad I saw the light.

Let's hope Ali in Thomas St. doesn't see this thread or he'll put his price up to a tenner straightaway :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I bring my son to Ali's barbers and it is spotless, as well as the price being so reasonable. Most other places want to charge at least 11 euro for cutting his hair.
    i was gonna say that he is only three and hasn't much hair but then again in hindsight he probably has a lot more than most grown men.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I stopped going to Figaro recently, they charged me €23 last time and that's just taking the piss for a trim. I tried De Vinci's on Thomas St last saturday. I got a good haircut for €14, was happy with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

does it depend on what you want, if you want it sheared, grand job, but if you're looking for a certain style, maybe you have to pay more...??

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I got a text from a city center barber last night (I didn't opt in, I entered a competition there about 6 months ago, but thats besides the point). The text was a "special" offer for a hot towel shave and haircut for €50. €50!!!

Fair play to them if they get that off anyone, but it won't be from me....

but if you're looking for a certain style, maybe you have to pay more...??

Style? I'm nearly 54, balding at the front and grey at the sides.

Must check out Ali in Thomas St. €7 sounds just grand for my needs.

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Got my haircut this morning from a Chineese hairdresser around the corner from Ali barber on Wickham st. across the road from sweeney McKie the chainsaw guy. €10 for a very good haircut. Used to go to an old guy also on Wickham st. but got tired of listening to him talking about how the foreigners have this country ruined etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭macheda

Aidric wrote: »
    I stopped going to Figaro recently, they charged me €23 last time and that's just taking the piss for a trim. I tried De Vinci's on Thomas St last saturday. I got a good haircut for €14, was happy with that.

Ya im goin to da vinci's myself for a few years. no complaints and seem to be reasonable compared to knights and figaros etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

Garveys on Denmark St, across from Flannerys. The older re furbished one
    12.50 for a cut, and its grand and quick. No BS. Just try not to laugh when Old Man Garvey laughs, he laughs in instead of laughing out!!
    There is a place in Ballycummin Village called The Gentry. Do not touch it with a barge pole! No laser Cards, 18 Euros for a cut and they NEVER have change of a 20. Last time i said if u dont have change i am walking, so your man headed in the back to look for some! ( in his pocket) Chancers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭Liam79

oh and if ure in Garveys and the Dad suddenly stops, stars beating his chest and falls to the floor, don’t get up to help! Its 12 O Clock, he is saying the Angelus!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Go to garveys myself. Not the flashest joint in town but does what it says on the tin. In and out quick, and cheap. Grand job.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Got mine cut in Max's just off the Killmurry Roundabout in Castletroy on Monday, only cost €10. Usually costs €16, don't know if it is a Monday special or a mistake and I didn't ask in case they changed their minds, that was my first time in there on a Monday so it could have been either.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 gracem

€20 haircut i wish! womens hair dressing is so outrageous! ask ur lady friends what they are paying and prepare to be shocked!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

gracem wrote: »
    €20 haircut i wish! womens hair dressing is so outrageous! ask ur lady friends what they are paying and prepare to be shocked!

Well considering how long it takes to cut a blokes hair and the fact we have to get it cut more often than women were the ones getting ripped off

Max's Barbers Kilmurry roundabout across from Rio's has gone up to €16 - Place is still busy though, owner has an irritating habit of moving people out of the waiting area and into free barber chairs where they then sit for a further 20 minutes - does this so that for anyone passing it looks like the wait will be much shorter and encourage people to sit in and then lose half their day.....

- They also seem to use a straight razor on necks without any effort made to sterilize it (that I could see) - which is meant to be one of the more everyday ways of picking up HIV, Hepatitis etc. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

jackncoke wrote: »
    Well considering how long it takes to cut a blokes hair and the fact we have to get it cut more often than women were the ones getting ripped off

Not really true, a guy gets his hair cut what, once every 5-6 weeks? thats only about 10 times a year, a woman can spend over €200 on a single session in a hairdressers for colouring and other stuff, getting extensions and the like is crazy money, my oh spent over €500 getting her hair done one time last year it can be crazy expsensive

Get a home razor and do it yourself, its really easy to get the hang of it, start with a higher blade and experiment

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Figaro's for the best cut around - 23 yoyo's

That or Rossinis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Although i work in the city i don't bother getting my hair cut there anymore. I can get it cut in Rathkeale for €7 without having to queue. And its done in less than 5 mins.

Figaro's for the best cut around - 23 yoyo's

That or Rossinis

That had better include a pube wash, wax, cut, dye and blow dry.

- Do they have a special gold-plated shelf for your man-bag? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

macheda wrote: »
    Ya im goin to da vinci's myself for a few years. no complaints and seem to be reasonable compared to knights and figaros etc....

+1

Da Vinci`s, best cut in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Raiser wrote: »
    - Do they have a special gold-plated shelf for your man-bag? :P

They do - how did you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Aidric wrote: »

€23 for a haircut is robbery if you ask me. Fair enough if there was a few quid in it but over three times the price of a nearby competitor cannot be justified, full stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

krudler wrote: »
    my oh spent over €500 getting her hair done one time last year it can be crazy expsensive

Thing is though a fellas hair usually takes circa 20 minutes (max) to cut as long as there is no funky styling going on. Women can spend half the bloody day in there if not longer. So using our Figaro's example €23 multiplied by 12 (four hours being low water in some cases) equal €276. Plus the fact a hell of a lot more consumables are used also and the fact that more skill may be involved when working on a womans hair I'm thinking. Havins said that though €500 seems an awful whack on the face ot it.

Advertisement