Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prague & Berlin - Help

• 28-07-2009 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭

Going to Prague & Berlin on Thursday. Will be in each city only 2 days.

There is a strong likelihood that I will not be heading back to these cities/countries for a very long time.

Is there something/anything I should not miss, photographically speaking?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Don't know about Berlin, but in Prague you must see the Charles Bridge and the Castle. Both are easily found. The child of Prague is harder to find, and is disappointing at how small it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Thanks, leche solara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

Seeing as you are a fellow pixie why don't you look at the pixie photos tagged with Prague or Berlin. There's loads. You might see something you'd like there.

http://pix.ie/explore/tag/prague

http://pix.ie/explore/tag/berlin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

The square in prague and surrounding areas are very nice at night, as are the bridges and from there you can see what looks like a huge mansion up in the hills.
    http://prague.ic.cz/prague-map.gif

6,8,11,12,13 are some areas of interest, theres loads more too but those are the ones i remember most. Also, where the letter "C" is above no 11, theres an Irish Bar there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Going to Prague & Berlin on Thursday. Will be in each city only 2 days.

There is a strong likelihood that I will not be heading back to these cities/countries for a very long time.

Is there something/anything I should not miss, photographically speaking?

We did a walking tour of Berlin, you got around all the relevant sites of interest and it only takes up half a day or so. It'll give you ideas of where to go back to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

is the holoucaust memorial still in berlin??

I would have liked to have visited there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭decimal

Was recently in Prague, Charles Bridge was full of scaffolding and the weather was horrible. It's one of the worst summers they've had there. Sedlec Ossuary (or kostnice Sedlec in czech language) is a bone church which I never got to see, extremely dissappointed that I didn't :( Expect it to take atleast 6 hours out of your trip (based on train times).

Petrin Tower is an observatory that overlooks prague, I got this photo from there:

3659459337_3f25cba9e6.jpg

Prague Castle is quite cool if you're into architecture, it has st vitus cathedral:

3767888302_e76958c31c.jpg

There's also the dancing house:

3767914138_7de3259ff3.jpg

There's also lots of other things like the old town hall (which has the astroniomical clock), the old jewish cemetry, the zoo, wenceslas square...it's very easy to get around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

Sony Centre in Potsdamer Platz , Berlin. Architecture is impressive.

Unter den Linten (translates as Under the Lime Trees) is the main street that emanates from the Brandenburg Gate.
    Lots and lots to snap there.

Museum Island, The TV Tower and the Cathedral (Dom), all beside each other.
    You can work in some surreal stuff

Bits of the famous wall, monster advertising hoardings and construction sites everywhere make for good subject matter.

Flags and statues everywhere in Berlin. They love them.

Holocaust Memorial , a park full of stone blocks (beside Brandenburg Gate) is impressive subject matter for abstract photos.

Thanks all, some really helpful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I was in both cities a few weeks ago. Still haven't gone through the photos properly. I thought Prague was lovely, very scenic, had the camera out constantly. Berlin was a bit more spread out. As mentioned above the Holocaust memorial was very good for pics. Will post up some soon!

• Advertisement

I'm off for Prague. Thanks for the input people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

2468476923_285e1224b7_m.jpg

berlin memorial great city

3776167400_fe1a06bd59.jpg

Last weekend in Berlin

3775412397_955f39388d.jpg
    Sony Centre Roof. Berlin

3775383207_746ee75175.jpg
    Holocaust memorial with TV Tower in background

3775350345_aca3b1bd36.jpg
    TV Tower (Fernsehturm)

3776136218_603466f9ba.jpg
    ad hoc street memorial to wall victims

3776204188_d9ded6f564.jpg
    where the wall has been removed, cobblestones remain

3776146076_9c06835c0a.jpg

3776230740_3587da9e75.jpg
    Potsdamer Platz from the bedroom window of the Marriott Hotel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

I dont want to come off as a prick here
    BUT, your on “your” holiday. Take photographs of the things that interest you. No city is so big that it will go undiscovered, if you want examples i’d suggest you go to pix.ie or flicker/goggle and type in the city name. Chances are you will see landmarks etc. And chances are that while your on your holiday you will encounter these landscapes anyway and will photograph them. Due to the stature you will automatically take photos to document your stay.
    The majority of photos that you see on these sites could be good/bad/ugly the main thing to do is to get our own perceptive of it all. If it’s down a side alley then it’s down a side alley and you know what, it could be the best photo even. Take the tourist pic Yes, but give yourself enough time to see the whole city. Aim to bring back a part of town that you never thought you’d see. This will spark other peoples interest etc and will probably work out better for you in the long term. Key thing to learn is to keep yourself happy and to achieve what you really want to. If your asking for locations , the first thing to learn is get yourself lost but in safe ground and shoot until your memory card is full. (well something along those lines)

But enjoy yourself - that is why left your home town - it's a holiday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

The thing about Berlin is it's amazing. There are photos everywhere, just don't look for the obvious shots that'll please others. It's a city with a very unique visual fabric, just feel your way through the things you notice and shoot away! Graffiti, doggies, punks and hippies, pastries, parks, etc.

But in looking for subject matter that's interesting to others in Berlin, get out of the tourist area (Mitte) and take off on the U-Bahn or S-Bahn to Prenzlauerberg, Friedrichshain, Kreutzberg/Neukoeln (and the so ubertrendy that they made up their own district, 'Kreutzkoeln').

As for Prague, I stayed in the centre, walked around the touristy areas but there's really no shortage of things to shoot. It's a heartbreakingly beautiful city. But my rule of thumb when travelling is always to go to odd places, like thrift stores, ugly suburban apartment blocks.

Just take a mix of things, but don't forget to take the little things that nobody else notices.

3778056824_26b710d9c0.jpg

3778090270_b9e624a98c.jpg

agree with the above.
    I found Berlin to be a very interesting place for photos.
    Hope you don't mind my snaps.
    say stop if you wish.
    I took a lot. :)

3778108026_0de28978c8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

the bridge in Prague at night would be a great spot for night shots. Did a trip of both cities myself a while back, got the train between them and twas pretty scenic en route. Spent most of the time sloshed/in the strip club myself but when I go back the camera is defo coming with!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭riiight!

I moved to Berlin a couple of months ago. Have found that the best things to take pics, like most places really, is the general day to day stuff. If your into people photography then your in luck.

On a nice day, theres loads of parks that people go to. Lots of interesting people walking down the street (last night I saw a guy on a skateboard dressed in a suit and holding a briefcase whilst racing a girl on a bike one one of the many long streets. Friedrichshain is great for graffiti and people sitting at outside cafes. The way the sun shines on the buildings in the evening is pretty sweet too.

Of course you can take pics of all the touristy things but generally all they turn out to be is snapshots more than anything, and there always someone else in the way of you taking a pic.

my flickr set is here.. http://www.flickr.com/photos/steeboy/sets/72157619660793006/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Some lovely photos there. Here's mine, if it's any use.

Advertisement