Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishing in Arklow

Options
  • 28-07-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Im going to arklow the weekend for some Sea fishing never been there before is there any recomended Tips.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

.Ger wrote: »
    Im going to arklow the weekend for some Sea fishing never been there before is there any recomended Tips.

dont go drinking in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭.Ger

Ok well its fishing im after anyway Ill take that into consideration, any tips on the fishing I dont hear much on fishing in arklow

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

That's because they have polluted the river to death, mining runoff upriver, untreated town sewage downriver, making it the most polluted river in Ireland.

You could either go to the sea and fish the beaches and rocks for mackerel, pollack, flatties and bass or go upriver to the mountains and trout fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭ghostmantra

i have head the roadstone Pier is very good if beach fishing is you thing i think annariellly (not spelt in any languish know to Man) is ok long Wait but you will catch dogs small flats and maby something to go home proud

Thanks guys,

So if i was mackeral fishing where is best spot along the coast , as im starting to think arklow is a no go area if i plan to catch some mackeral

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭KAZ0077

Hi Ger,
    Arklow is a great spot for fishing. The south beach (beside Qualceram on teh quay) is a good venue.
    Species will be Dogfish, flatfish, chance of Smoothound also.
    Best baits would be rag, lug and mackerel. Peeler crab for teh smoothies. Might also be a chance of a Ray off it either (Crab/Mackerel)

Talk to Gerry Power in Powersound on the mainstreet across from teh bandstand..he deos frozen and fresh bait.

Not many Mackerel from the beaches or piers at the moment.

Also, there is Clogga beach close by...you might get a bass from here with flatfish and dogfish also.

Hope that helps.

many thanks ill give it a go and update when i come back

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭dbrock

if you fish from the quarry end of the beach cast up along side the reef that goes straight out, here you will catch plenty of dogs,whiting and flounder, ive had the odd codling there to,

if your fishing the main beach, put 1 rod out as far as you can for the dogs,ray,whiting,and you will pick up dabs there to, also put one in close for the flounder, usually about 10 to 20 yards od this beach,

if your fishing the pier cast out for your dogs,whiting,or macs,plus a few dabs
    stick inside the pier for the flounder and eels also a chance of a sand smelt in there to

best baits
    dogs, anything fishy, ie sandeel or mac although rag will take em to
    whiting, basically any bait you can get lol
    dabs, rag tipped with sliver of mac
    flounder, same as dabs also use some lug

and as some one mentioned before you might get a smoothie, best time for these guys is the hour as its getting dark, peeler crab as far as you can go is the best option,

enjoy either way and good luck

Well guys, thanks for the info and advice, so i went to arklow i went to the right peir and stayed ther untill ran out of bait and the whitening didnt help as they where ever where just tiny little things then when it was getting dark the doggys started to come in with a few flat fish then at around 3am as bait was running low a smotthie decided to join the fun, il add a pic

anyway thanks again guys

the bait i was using was Rag

Sounds like a fun trip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 caymen

last year the pier was my hot spot catching dog fish' dabs,herring,1 juvanile smooth hound 1 codling. igot a bass bout 1lb off the beach at the far car park near road stone. was also catching 2lb wrass off the break water there.but be prepared to loose gear there this year we got dogs and mackrel on my father in laws boat linalass. but i found the jetty at roadstone the best dogs and a 5lb ballon wrass. there is plenty of tiny codling and pollock there two the security gaurd works 9-530 so after then or if u go there he might not be there on bank holls ect. thers trout in the river and mullet up at the bridge

caymen wrote: »
    .... and a 5lb ballon wrass....

That's a brilliant wrasse!

caymen wrote: »
    last year the pier was my hot spot catching dog fish' dabs,herring,1 juvanile smooth hound 1 codling. igot a bass bout 1lb off the beach at the far car park near road stone. was also catching 2lb wrass off the break water there.but be prepared to loose gear there this year we got dogs and mackrel on my father in laws boat linalass. but i found the jetty at roadstone the best dogs and a 5lb ballon wrass. there is plenty of tiny codling and pollock there two the security gaurd works 9-530 so after then or if u go there he might not be there on bank holls ect. thers trout in the river and mullet up at the bridge

thats great info as i was planning to take another trip up that way tonight, so i might try the roadstone end and well il let you know how i get on if i do go, thanks again

well the weather was great, i caught a few flat fish from the beach beside roadstone and well then nothing else apart from the odd whiteing that just keeps robbing the bait the lads that where with me where catching a few doggies and small smoothies.

untill next time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 caymen

i fished off the roadstone bridg ting got 5 nice pollock on rag and sand eel
    also a wrass and my last cast was a 2lb withning .

very nice, is the entrance to the roadstone bridge thing only through road stone itself.

Advertisement