Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA or MCSE

Options
  • 28-07-2009 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi there

Im looking to get into Sys Amdin at some stage and am MCSA Sec+ qualified working on Level 1 support.

Im currently job hunting to get a desktop support/junior system administrator job.

Do ye think Id be better to finish MSCE Sec+ (3 exams) or do ccna to prepare my for sys admin job when it comes along.

I can leave out certs incase I seem over qualified for jobs applied for just would like to study away

Thanks
    Noel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I think the CCNA would be better.

It will give you a much better understanding of how networks, routers and switchs work, which is invaluable as you move towards a Sys admin role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

An MCSE would be overkill for a Desktop Support / Junior Sysadmin imo. CCNA would b better, seeing as you already have the MCSA...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

CCNA or Juniper JNCIA (preferably JNCIA-ER enterprise routing).

CCNA is very well known, I was discussing this with a boardsie that I know recently. We both have been studying Cisco, he got his CCNA and job interviews straight away.

The CCNA is great but I wouldn't value the paper as much as the knowledge. I have been offered jobs at service providers and in large organisations by being able to demonstrate my technical skills in an interview.

FYI - at the moment JNCIA-EX, ER and some of their other certs are free.
    The study materials and E-Learning course are also free!

You can emulate Juniper Routers (Flawlessly) on your PC using VMware.

Check it out http://www.juniper.net/us/en/training/fasttrack/

Advertisement