Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

old roof able to take new concrete tiles

Options
  • 28-07-2009 1:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

hi all new to this, we are doing our roof and the timbers are fine house is 60 years old never had felt and has some dodgy looking slates, my question is on removing these light slates could we put on concrete tiles or would the old roof be fit to take the weight? would be very grateful if anyoneone who has done such a job or anyone who knows about this sort of thing could get back to me :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭PeteHeat

Hi,

The original roof would most likely have been designed (timber sizes etc) for slates, there is a fairly substantial difference in the weight between slate and concrete tiles.

On average 1000 slates weighs 1 tonne, 1000 tiles can weigh as much as 5 tonnes, there is a difference in coverage rates ie less tiles per sq metre however you would be looking at at least twice the load on the timbers.

It takes a while for the problems to show but in time you will have a very very expensive job on your hands, the proof is all over London where in the 70's and 80's slate roofs were replaced with concrete tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Stupid question folks but why not replace slate with slate! Put the old back slates around the front to cover the damaged ones and buy new ones around the back where they wont be noticed,

Not to expensive, a good job. Not my area but just curious why not?

Hi Joey,

Good question, slates unlike tiles do not like being moved, a good ripper is needed to take out the old slates and I have not seen a good ripper for sale in years.

My rippers were made by company who closed up around the year 1870 "Brades of Sheffield" it is possible to remove slates without much interference using a good ripper.

Replacing the slates neatly can take time, some use lead clips which are ok if you want to get a few more years out of an old roof but not a nice finish.

Again it's down to spending a lot of time re-fitting the slates which translates into a fairly expensive job, and you have to know the type of slate, man made or natural etc.

Depending on the reason for the existing problem it can be more economical to upgrade the roof by replacing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭valarie001

personally i think asbestos slates are not worth salvaging:D any recomendations to what slates i could use?

Hi,

You are correct however you did not state asbestos in your original post ;)

You can repair the roof and get another few years out it, your replacement alternatives are fibre cement such as Tegral Rivendale or a natural slate.

Personally I prefer Welsh slate such as Penhryn expensive but top quality, I have used that slate over 200 years old and its as good as new.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭valarie001

thanks for the advise guys! i decided no point in ruining the roof with heavy cement tiles :D went everywhere today looking at slates and in the end i went with SVK ardonit plus, slates, cant handle another winter with buckets catching the water! after much deliberation i chose them over tegral truetone, same guarentee but way cheaper.

Advertisement