Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PVC window not locking - (from wear ??)

Options
  • 28-07-2009 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hello all,

I have the standard type PVC double glaze windows .

They are about 7 years old now. One of the windows (upstairs) we noticed the lock seems to have worn , the handle is turning but not gripping the short metal piece that fits into the locking mecanism.

From having a quick look (to confirm I need to switch the handle form a working window) it seems the metal round piece inside the handle has worn.

The window locking mecanism is now stuck in an open position.

Does anyone have expericence with this and know where to get part ?

Might be a good idea for others to check their own windows for same, as it seems like wear has caused this (there was no sign of anyone tampering with it ,its upstiars window)

thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Same thing happened to my sister. Except they locked shut. :eek:

She knew lenister joinery put in the window. They came out fixed the problem and put in a new mechanism. It only cost her 75 euro.

Aparently its most common on the kids window and the kitchen window,

I would suggest you get them replace it as it just snowballs replacing other parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭blueyedson

Thanks Joey,

I took handle off a second time to test with another handle.

After playing about with pin that fits into locking mechanism it started working again for me :rolleyes:

I put greece and oil on all the window parts and keep an eye on it.

Somethings cant explain , hope it keeps working :D

Advertisement