Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disability Medical Exam - Mental Health

Options
  • 28-07-2009 1:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi there,

My little brother has battled with mental health problems in the past, including depression, anxiety, rage etc.

He's 17 and applying for disability benefit. We've just recieved a letter to request that he have a medical exam.

My mother is very worried about this, and is worried that he will find the medical too distressing, saying she's not sure if she wants to "put him through that".

I just wonder if anyone knows what he is likely to be 'put through'?

I thought maybe it would be a case of reading his medical history and a short interveiw with my brother?

Many many thanks for any answers. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

If your brother has never worked before it's sounds like it's for Disability Allowance.
    His doctor will have submitted some information on the application form with some details of his medical history so they will ask some questions based on that and if the condition is likely to persist for the next 6 months or more.
    What they really are trying to find out is how your brother functions on a day to day basis and what impact his condition would have on his ability to maintain a job. In the case of depression / mental health they would ask questions based on his concentration, for example. Is he able to focus on watching a tv programmme? Does he suffer any side effects from his medication, does it make him drowsy etc. and crucially does he feel himself if he could work at the moment.

Also they do some basic physical tests such as bp, urine, weight, height etc.

It's not something to be unduly worried about but obviously to be truthful in your responses. I imagine your brother should be fine as it's an ongoing condition he's been having since he was younger.

I don't work for the DSFA but I work in a disability related field.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Well OP wish your brother good luck with that, I went for this years ago when i wasnt in a great state of mind. I had letters and reports from physciatrist's, cognative therapists, Doctors, You name what i needed and i had it.

I went to the interview 3 times had one really old man and a women, Gave me some stupid checkover bloodpressure ? hello i was completely riddled with anxiety back then i couldnt step outside my front door with out convulting on the ground and vomiting. Anyway i cant really remember to much from back then its kinda of a dark blurr but some how i got called to the head guy , i brought all my information and reports from doctors and stuff and he was kinda pissed off that they kept turning me away.

So if he really needs it dont let them turn you away keep going for it, There rude ignorant ****es that exam you in there :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

Your primary interest is the health and welfare of your son - I also come from the disability sector and have witnessed first hand the content of the exam for people with mental health problems. Firstly, the exam is not an indepth examination to assess how depression or mental health problems would affect your sons ability to function in a working environment.... sometimes the doctors that conduct these exams even dont have any background in psychiatry. As the previous poster said the exam covers the extent to which their functioning is affected by levels of concentration and mental health and I've seen instances where this was subjectively determined by the examining doctor - ie. they did not look for medical reports from psychiatrists or GPs and the questions were not even asked!! For information purposes - it is the responsibility of a doctor to make contact with the medical certifier - to defer to experts who are more competent in the management of your case and this is the most basic clinical duty of all doctors irrespective of what type of environment that a doctor works. It is part of safe medical practice and is necessary if any doctor is to establish a clinical history and make informed clinical decisions. It is not the patients responsibility to do the job of any doctor or provide any doctor in the public service with medical reports. This department has contracts to pay your GP 44.04 for completion of these reports....

Also, if you see your son getting upset during the exam (which you have the right to be present during) and you are in any way concerned, you have the right to advocate on his behalf and stop the exam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Durga

GER12 wrote: »
    Firstly, the exam is not an indepth examination to assess how depression or mental health problems would affect your sons ability to function in a working environment.... .

Yes, I competely agree with this. Very often a person can present well at the medical and the complexities of their disability or condition cannot be adequately reflected in a 20 minute or so exam.
    I recently had to submit a report for an appeal for a person with an ID who was refused DA. Knowing the person and their level of comprehension I imagine the person tried to present themselves in the best positive light at the exam as they generally like to impress and one has to probe deeply to get the necessary information. In the event of a refusal and a subsequent appeal it's important to submit all relevant supporting information from key professionals who can provide a comprehensive history on the nature of the disabilty and it's impact on the person's life, although as Ger pointed out this really ought to be the role of the examining officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

Hi Durga

I completely agree with you. I would add that its important and particularly vulnerable people to insist that they have a friend or relative present with them during exam - this is the right of all patients and this right is stated in the Medical Councils Ethical Guidelines. Its important that you are not afraid to ask these doctors questions as is your right to get answers - it is important to try to establish whether they have any knowledge of the condition which you are presenting - its often the case that they dont. Ask about what recommendation the doctor is going to make to the chief medical advisor as a result of the exam on your fitness to work - you have the right to ask questions and be told answer. Note everything they do (didnt do) or say during the exam - the procedures employed (did they contact the certifiers or defer to those more expert) as this can often provide the basis of an appeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

My son has similar problems to your brother, as well as scoliosis.

He had the medical in May. I was very worried but needn't have been. I went into the medical with him. I did the talking for him (because he wasn't able too).

The doctor couldn't have been nicer he just asked some questions and that was it.

Advertisement