Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderation of Conspiracy forum

Options
  • 28-07-2009 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭

I think too many "guest" posters are let away with posts which do little other than to insult native posters or say "I don't agree with this" without providing any back up argument beyond "you're all crazies." This is explicitly forbidden by the charter:

Making the natives restless
    This is a catch-all rule for general trolling, bitching and similar. Posting in a manner purely to get a reaction from someone will not be tolerated. If a moderator feels that said poster is doing this intentionally or is the cause of the mess, then the poster can and will be infracted and/or banned. This rule will hopefully put an end to the bitching going on in here of late.

yet it seems to be ignored on many occasions. 6th for example gave me a warning yet some visiting guest poster did not receive a warning for his breaching of this rule under the charter. This strikes me as double standards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Did you try raising the issue directly with 6th?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

And?

nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

nyarlothothep, 2 questions for you:

1) Did you report the post you had a problem with?

and

2) Do you think your post deserved a warning? Please not it was a warning and not an infraction.

• Advertisement

Seeing as you warned me you probably saw the above post. Such posts aren't really that meaningful to me so I don't feel the need to report them but I find it strange that I was the one who was warned.

2. Meh the post was suitably banal so I felt like giving an equally banal response. Should I be warned, it depends on how strictly you want to moderate, whether you see it as idle banter and only handle serious breaches or whether you want to enforce the rules to the letter.

A one off poster who comes in is one thing, a forum regular who is familar with the rules etc should know better. For the record there was no personal abuse in the guys post either, it was mild at most.

Still in breach of the charter. Double standards.

Ok fair point. I will admit I expect more of those who frequent the forum more often and that may not always be fair.

On review I have issued a warning to the other poster but would ask that in future user report posts they have an issue with rather than engaging with them and taking the thread off topic.

Hopefully I have addresses your concerns and you can accept my apologies.

Advertisement