Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

i found beans with veggie sausages in a can in tesco's clearance section for 69c. that was my dinner last night.
    wasnt great :/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Damn....wait, so I can ahve the other two tins? :p

I had a lovely sweet potato korma, spinach, veg, kidney beans, quorn etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Damn....wait, so I can ahve the other two tins? :p

I had a lovely sweet potato korma, spinach, veg, kidney beans, quorn etc

wow that sounds amazing :eek:

I had tomato, mozzarella and pesto crepe today mmmm

I've had my cheese allowance for a while now :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

sounds lovely, perhaps try feta and olives next time, I know this lovely little crepe place too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Tarka Dal is brewing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Hairspray

Chilli con quarne, delish ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Falafel and salad, yay.

D67513FF1BAA403B9B80CB35604D0091-500.jpg

I'm not big on deep frying, tis a lot of oil to be going through. This means my falafel are never going to be as crispy as I'd like, but I'm sure I can move on from this :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I'm not big on deep frying, tis a lot of oil to be going through. This means my falafel are never going to be as crispy as I'd like, but I'm sure I can move on from this :pac:

Try baking them, the texture is slightly softer and less crispy, but way less fat.

vegetable korma, pilau rice, popadoms, chutney

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

i've been dying to make my own falafel for a while, but never seem to find a recipe that appealed, and that seemed to be within my capability.

so i'm tried this tonight

falafel for kids

Very easy to make recipe, and you can kind of add more or less of things as you like. and he also includes 3 quick dips. I love falafel but my biggest gripe is usually that is too dry, but this mix was not dry at all. Yes, it is aimed at children, but sometimes theyre the best recipes!

Now, i did shallow fry. I've never fried anything in my life, usually steer clear of anything fried or greasy, but down at any of the markets they're always frying them so i gave it a whirl. Turned out pretty well! And the frying wasn't as scary as i thought it would be.

Very recommended recipe!

ive tried to add photos but i'm not sure i did it right! Also, i'm not sure it looks that appealing, but it was very tasty served with hummus, a little couscous with scallions and tomatoes in, on a wholegrain pitta. Nom nom nom

• Advertisement

The attachment way worked, you can't add img tags around files on your computer, you need to upload them to a site and it gives you a link, for example, wthax.org is a image hosting site. Also, mmm falafel, I have massive cravings now!

thanks just getting the hang of the posting thing again :)

i know, i get serious falafel cravings on a regular basis, but it's really hard to get good stuff! Recommendations of good store/restaurant falafel gratefully received :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Looks good Feu!

toasted sambo with tofutti cream cheese and fake chicken slices. nyom nyom surprisingly! :D

maameeo wrote: »
    toasted sambo with tofutti cream cheese and fake chicken slices. nyom nyom surprisingly! :D

what is tofutti cream cheese please and thank you?

thats just rude Tar, i was gona explain!

like the vegan ice cream but they make cream cheese, its not great on its own but in a sambo it nice, just like the fake chicken, so together...nyom nyom, individually...yucky!

:D

wow that was fast thank you both! ok, yeh, i've had some soy ice cream which was pretty nice, but i don't think it was that brand. I'll look out for it, presume it is available in the usual spots? sorry not meaning to go too offtopic, but has anyone used the tofuti cream cheese like for baking? As in cream cheese frosting?

Also, it must be good for you i reckon, cus real cream cheese is fatty fat fat, no?

Here is the label off it with the info! Seems a lot of cals, not sure how compares to dairy.

http://www.tofutti.com/btcc-plain-lable.html

Here is the label off it with the info! Seems a lot of cals, not sure how compares to dairy.

http://www.tofutti.com/btcc-plain-lable.html

sorry, didn't mean to make you go and find that for me! thanks tho :) Only 1g of protein, not sure if that's per serving or per 100g, but it's still crazy low for a soy product. i would only bother if the protein was higher i think.

• Advertisement

It's per serving of 2 Tbsp I think. Not sure what taste is like, always heard they were bad, but maameeo seems to be liking it!

It's per serving of 2 Tbsp I think. Not sure what taste is like, always heard they were bad, but maameeo seems to be liking it!

There's so much soy/i can't-believe-it's-not-meat out there that ive not tangled with yet. It's a bit overwhelming! Still this forum is brilliant for just that type o thing

Oh the fake meats, I adore them. Not as good as other countries but will do grand. when I found out about them here I went a bit wild buying them :D

I see new things in Tesco too, so I have things to purchase mmm

Oh the fake meats, I adore them. Not as good as other countries but will do grand. when I found out about them here I went a bit wild buying them :D

yeh i've steered clear of them til now as i'm not a huge meat fan, as in taste/texture wise. But if it was bacon-y, i'd be biting! I'm a terrible veggie i know! And Master of nothing was just saying there on another thread that fanta has fish in. Since using this forum, i've really just learned what a bad veggie i am!

Ah lucky that, I hate that I adore meat so much. There are bacony ones, few brands about, give em a try. Yeah fanta is not, I have a pic from an old work sports day where It's me and a girl with a free fanta bottle, we kept trying to make the other person drink the drink, as we 'didn't want it'. Turned out we were both vegetarian and were just trying to avoid it without saying :p
    Ah there are always things to catch ye out, doesn't make you bad, we aim to live as best we can sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Mushroom volauvents with salad :D
    Made it with Schwartz Pork and mushroom sauce (It's veggie)
    http://www.schwartz.co.uk/productdetail.cfm?ID=5015

Hmmmmm
    All spicy and really different from the usual creamy mushroom sauce. :)

There'll be more tonight so I'll try get pics

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Vegetarian cottage pie.
    I made the filling with carrots, turnips, tomatoes and Quorn mince, seasoned with a bay leaf and thyme and rosemary (all from my garden, except for the mince of course), and the topping with yummy creamy cheesy potatoe mash.
    Having the left-overs for lunch today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Shenshen wrote: »
    Vegetarian cottage pie.
    I made the filling with carrots, turnips, tomatoes and Quorn mince, seasoned with a bay leaf and thyme and rosemary (all from my garden, except for the mince of course), and the topping with yummy creamy cheesy potatoe mash.
    Having the left-overs for lunch today :D

Creamy cheesy potato mash nyom. You could also try puy lentils instead of the Quorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Creamy cheesy potato mash nyom. You could also try puy lentils instead of the Quorn.

I was thinking about that, but then the Quorn is just quicker to cook, and I was starving.
    I might try it when I'm doing this again on a weekend :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adam anto

Thanks to the wonders of the Cafe Paradiso book.

124041.jpg

Wish we could do this every night....

Advertisement