Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

maameeo wrote: »
    LMAO omg!! i didnt realise, i keep doing that lately with the mixing of letters up :S

its SALT :D

ah right salt and chilly chips, that traditional chinese fare :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

Feu wrote: »
    ah right salt and chilly chips, that traditional chinese fare :D

Bully :P

nah, just never heard of it, but then i don't eat chinese. i can't even really conceive of what it might be!!!

nah, just never heard of it, but then i don't eat chinese. i can't even really conceive of what it might be!!!

never ever ate chinese?? :O

zomg, we have to bring you to one (one that does tofu anyways!)

um that would be lovely! Heavy on the tofu, light on the MSG :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Hope I don't ruin it by saying it's a Quorny crispy garlicy fillety thing tonight - too wrecked to do anything else!

Nothing wrong with those, they're yummy.
    I've had meat-eating friends tasting them and saying they're better than the real thing. Mind you, they might have been trying to be polite, but that would be out of character for them ;)

I've had home-made pizza last night, with my favourite toppings : Roasted onions, mushrooms, pepper and garlic, and some chard (cause I don't like the slimyness of spinach, but chard tastes very similar)... heaven on a plate, if I say so myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭unichick

Anyone try the Linda McCartney chees and onion plaits? I had them the last couple of nights and they're lovely! I'm a cheese addict anyway. And a hopeless cook!

maameeo wrote: »
    ugh i had slat and chili chips, curry sauce and a portion of bamboo shoots and horse chestnuts.

never feel good after chinese :( id love a salad today!

Maybe if you tried having chinese with rice rather than chips? ;)
    It always turns my stomach when I see anybody eating chinese food with chips...

Shenshen wrote: »
    Maybe if you tried having chinese with rice rather than chips? ;)
    It always turns my stomach when I see anybody eating chinese food with chips...

i find rice bloats me, feel worse after it, i try get noodles mostly but i was swayed by the salt and chilli on the chips this time round :)

technically what i got wasnt very chinese but it was still nyom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

tikka masala with quorn pieces, chickpeas, spinach, sweet corn, onions, cous cous. Now to try not to eat it for every meal in the day with the amount I made :/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

potato, chickpeas, corn, burgers, gravy mmm

Made a hotpot with wok-strips (can't remember the brand name, I got them in the Quay Coop in Cork, they don't work at all for anything Asian, but actually taste like yummy sausages), carrots, turnip, caramelised onion in a red wine and veggie stock gravy with rosemary, thyme and some bay leaves, with potatoes on top.

If anybody could give me any tips or hints on how to get the layer of potatoes nice and soft and crispy brown on top, I'd be eternally grateful. Mine always end up a bit dried-out and charred... :(
    But the rest was very yummy indeed

sounds delish!

have you tried covering the potato with tinfoil til near the end, then whip it off just to crisp up top?

sounds delish!

have you tried covering the potato with tinfoil til near the end, then whip it off just to crisp up top?

I tried that at first, but somehow it didn't work either. They didn't really brown.

I'm half-suspecting that all these delicious-looking ones on telly and in recipe books layer the tatties in a pan, fry them up, and then plonk the whole thing on the hotpot just before serving/taking the picture....

Shenshen wrote: »
    I tried that at first, but somehow it didn't work either. They didn't really brown.

I'm half-suspecting that all these delicious-looking ones on telly and in recipe books layer the tatties in a pan, fry them up, and then plonk the whole thing on the hotpot just before serving/taking the picture....

think a lot of tv chefs probably use a mini blow-torch to give it a perfect look. grasstards

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭HelenT

Shenshen,
    I usually put dishes under a very hot grill for 2 - 3 mins to crisp / brown the top. Works a treat.

Spirelli pasta with a creamy primavera (white wine and cream with mushrooms, spring onions, garlic, courgettes and peas) sauce... not the right time for it, I know, but it was lovely anyway.

this week i made...
    chickpea rissoles with rice and pepper sauce...

05092010.jpg

and chickpea curry with cous cous...

10092010_001.jpg

love my chickpeas!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This weekend I ate what maameeo made!

Mmm chickpea rissoles look great. Recipe please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Mmm chickpea rissoles look great. Recipe please!

+1, they look great! Reminds me that I like the word rissoles too :p

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

I'm heartbroken that I discovered this thread at ten to six on a work day lol. On the other hand, after browsing a few pages, I suspect that I'll make it home in record time this evening as my stomach may take over control of my car :S

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

why'd you have to remind me :(

I had tea cakes and crisps today :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I had a quick dinner: sautéed some onions, added: hot water, bit of arrowroot, bit of stock powder, salt, butter beans, peas and some rehydrated seaweed (Dilisk). Hit the spot and not heavy at all :) I am quite inspired after watching Prainne (of the Seaweed Kitchen) do a demo at the Rude Health Fair.

i was feeling energetic [and in need of protein!] after my swim in seapoint, so i whipped up a frittata. ridiculously easy, it is from the "cooking with aunty sarah" portion of the good food magazine, as are most of my main courses!!!

Image132_thumb_3.jpg

and a lemon drizzle cake, bit bold, but quite yum. ha ha the photo;s a bit spacey, think it's the light bouncing off the lime zest in the icing!!!

Image133_thumb.jpg

I had a quick dinner: sautéed some onions, added: hot water, bit of arrowroot, bit of stock powder, salt, butter beans, peas and some rehydrated seaweed (Dilisk). Hit the spot and not heavy at all :) I am quite inspired after watching Prainne (of the Seaweed Kitchen) do a demo at the Rude Health Fair.

was it "runny" or thick? if that makes sense! I would like to try seaweed, and this sounds like an easy way to do it

It was... thick, I guess. No wait, maybe somewhere in between. Either way, it definetly is much much thicker than water - you know you have added enough when the sauce loses its watery consistency :) If it is too thin you just add more arrowroot. I did 4 heaped tsp of arrowroot in cold water/milk, added to the dish last time I made it for 4 people. You need to add the arrowroot to cold liquid first, then toss the lot into the hot water/sauce starter.

Yeah, Prainne was saying how many nutrients and minerals were in seaweed at the Rude Health Fair. I thought it couldn't do any harm to get some of them in me! She recommended using Alaria (aka Atlantic Wakame) as it is really healthy and has a very mild taste. Chop it up a bit when it is dry and 're-hydrate' in cold water for a few minutes before you add it to your meal. She even threw it in a smoothie and gave out samples for us to try. I would have never thought!

Oh, and good on ya swimming in Seapoint! :D It's been a few years since I did that. I also remember whacking my foot under the water and I didn't notice how I'd been cut until I was out of the water and my feet weren't frozen anymore. Ewwww! Bad day/week that was!!

shame on you and you in Dun laoghaire!!!

is the seaweed available in the usual places?

You can indeed get the seaweed your usual health food stores or there is an Irish store online. Cheap enough too :) It's such a funny ingredient. (Some recipe ideas for the seaweed in the link for anyone looking for ideas.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭summer_ina_bowl

Only had to cook for myself last night, so got to be a bit self indulgent, springled some cajun seasoning on some quorn dippers and stuck them in the oven with a bake-at-home demi-bageutte. Made some fresh guacamole and with fierce effort, opened a jar of chunky salsa lol. Sliced up the cooked dippers, piled them into the baguette with a little grated cheese, quartered cherry tomatoes, shredded baby-gem lettuce and a little red onion, then spooned on the salsa and guacamole. It was brilliant, but I couldn't finish it :S Eyes bigger than the belly syndrome haha!

Advertisement