Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

I find that if you dry-fry the tofu in a non-stick pan and squeeze the water out with a spatula until it's dried, it turns out quite nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Any chance you could photograph the result next time you try RussellTuring? Am curious...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I find that if you dry-fry the tofu in a non-stick pan and squeeze the water out with a spatula until it's dried, it turns out quite nice.

Must give this a go- when doing it do you just fry the tofu straight out of the packet or press the excess water out first?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

yesterday sweet potato chips, onion rings and chocolate brownie sundae mm

today linda mccartney burgers in buns with sundried tomatoes, sweetcorn, goats cheese, fried egg, ketchup

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Jim wrote: »
    Simple stuff. Roasted the **** out of some bell peppers, brocolli, sweet potatoes, and onions. Then made a tomato and basil sauce and threw it on top. Simple but delish.

B836B520D79540508C01FC2DF07E7641-0000328695-0002005510-00800L-550A84A49D794772A28622B2222AEBD4.jpg

That sounds soooo good

Drool_4.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

spicy-bean-burger-packaging.jpg

These are amazing. I'm not sick of them yet. And only £2! Thats 50p each, really handy for putting in a pitta bread for lunch.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

--LOS-- wrote: »
    That sounds soooo good

Drool_4.gif

overusing that smiley a bit now aren't we :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

These are amazing. I'm not sick of them yet. And only £2! Thats 50p each, really handy for putting in a pitta bread for lunch.
    Where does one purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

overusing that smiley a bit now aren't we :mad:

am I :-|
    Where does one purchase?

yes where, was gona ask that too.

And this evening I had veggie curry courtesy of housemates :)

Where does one purchase?

I get mine in Waitrose. But at home I bought them in my local health food store, and this place was tiny! So I'm sure any good health food store :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I get mine in Waitrose.

Waitrose is great! They have good chocolate. They also had that Swedish Glace icecream for £1.60 when I was there. That's half the price it is here :mad:

Anyway. This week I've been mostly eating Minestrone. I'd never made it myself before so it was extra exciting. I'm liking this idea of rice in soup. And so much veg in one bowl. Fun times.

60BFFE2FCED241668D75DA04ACBA88AB-0000329149-0002021921-00500L-BA3281D996F6468AA207D705FBF4D19C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

amazing looking soup!! I've yet to find a minestrone that i was really happy with - would love recipe :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac: nom nom nom

I used a variation of this recipe but with some minor changes.

I used 500ml stock initially and increased in increments as I went along until it was about a litre. I put the stock and tomatoes in the pot at the same time aswell. I also used different veg, mushrooms were lovely in it. I simmered one medium, peeled, chopped potato for about 5 minutes in the stock before adding the rest of the veg. It makes the soup a good bit thicker as it cooks. I added some arborio rice at this point too as it takes a while for it to give up the ghost. The spaghetti I added maybe 20 minutes from the end.

I didn't have any cannellini beans so just used chickpeas but cannellinis are more authentic I'd say!

I also put a lot of dried thyme and basil in it, which turned out lovely. For a little heat I used dried chilli flakes.

Sorry, that's a bit all over the place. I kind of just read the recipe then winged it! It's lovely though, you should give a go. It made enough dinner for me for 4 days!

I attempted paella last night used a variety of recipes but its more like risotto, I don't like the texture of it but it made loads so I'm just going to have to eat it until its gone :( I haven't had much success in the kitchen recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Eviecus

Those burgers look nice. Where abouts is there a Waitrose??

It's only a UK outlet I believe. Maybe there's one up north? Not sure.

Any chance you could photograph the result next time you try RussellTuring? Am curious...

I will indeed. I just got a camera phone and should be getting a big block of tofu soon.

Gauge wrote: »
    Must give this a go- when doing it do you just fry the tofu straight out of the packet or press the excess water out first?

I slice it into 1/2 inch thick rectangles and squeeze a little bit to get rid of the excess. I then put the pieces in a dry, medium-heat frying pan and periodically press down on them with a spatula until I can no longer see or hear water coming out then flip over and repeat. After this, they'll go golden-brown and absorbent. Then it's time to get down to business.:cool:

Sorry for the double post BTW. And I just made some falafels. They were from a packaged mix but were delicious and effortless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Simple stuff. Roasted the **** out of some bell peppers, brocolli, sweet potatoes, and onions. Then made a tomato and basil sauce and threw it on top. Simple but delish.

This sounded so good I made it for myself tonight, with a little bit of quinoa on the side. Perfect winter dinner!

Think I'll make some sweet potato mash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Think I'll make some sweet potato mash.

add a little crushed ginger....nom nom

Feu wrote: »
    add a little crushed ginger....nom nom
    I'll remember that next time.

I meant to take a photo but I ated it too fast :(

BREAKFAST TIME. Stewed apple & roasted pecan nuts with cinnamon & lemon juice. Yogurt on the side!

F178E0BB4FBF48649AF65E55AEEBF2B5-0000328695-0002036801-00800L-802F11CE6B2542DAA805D9794D4E96C6.jpg

Eviecus wrote: »
    Those burgers look nice. Where abouts is there a Waitrose??

You could try your local health food store for them, i got them in my local one (in the whest) before. They're suitable for vegans too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Where does one purchase?
    I saw the vegetable burgers and the nut cutlets of this brand in Nourish on Wicklow St in Dublin City Centre in case anyone is still wondering :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭illiop

I made veggie burgers following this recipe. They're amazing. I didn't really follow the measurements since I've nothing to measure with. I also have no idea what micro-sprouts are so I just substituted mushrooms chopped up really small.

I'm also going to make homemade chip/wedge things later. I make them all the time so I know they'll be delicious.

Waitrose is great! They have good chocolate. They also had that Swedish Glace icecream for £1.60 when I was there. That's half the price it is here :mad:

Anyway. This week I've been mostly eating Minestrone. I'd never made it myself before so it was extra exciting. I'm liking this idea of rice in soup. And so much veg in one bowl. Fun times.

60BFFE2FCED241668D75DA04ACBA88AB-0000329149-0002021921-00500L-BA3281D996F6468AA207D705FBF4D19C.jpg

Made this on sunday night, thanks for the link!
    Anyway one lot is doing me for lunch for four days and it tastes great!

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

Evergreen in Galway stock a good bit of the goodlife range & anything I've tried has been tasty!

for beanburgers the old reliable is the greenisle bean burgers (8 for €4 & much nicer than the old school veggie burgers)

Evergreen alsostock clive pies, which is really really nice & I always have a few in the freezer.

I never noticed this thread before, I must give a read sometime to see what everyone else eats :D

Made this on sunday night, thanks for the link!
    Anyway one lot is doing me for lunch for four days and it tastes great!

Ha, cool, I'm eating some right now :pac:

It's fast becoming one of my wonderful reliables.

• Advertisement

illiop wrote: »
    I made veggie burgers following this recipe. They're amazing. I didn't really follow the measurements since I've nothing to measure with. I also have no idea what micro-sprouts are so I just substituted mushrooms chopped up really small.

I'm also going to make homemade chip/wedge things later. I make them all the time so I know they'll be delicious.
    Was going to give this a try tomorrow but noticed it has bread crumbs :/ I can't have anything with wheat, gluten or yeast in it.

Anyone think of anything I could use as a suitable substitute?

Advertisement