Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

garlic potatoes (house smelled more like garlic than the potatoes tasted of it), sweet corn, quorn + mixed herbs. mmmm

then chocolate malts and brownie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

and homemade onion rings :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh ye, somebody might have made something or other, cant remember with all the delicious things I was making and not burning>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Jim wrote: »
    Was going to give this a try tomorrow but noticed it has bread crumbs :/ I can't have anything with wheat, gluten or yeast in it.

Anyone think of anything I could use as a suitable substitute?

Millet, oats or maybe buckwheat flour? Anything that holds its shape when cooked should do it for you. Cooked oats are good, but I think they contain traces of gluten... I'd give the millet a try.

Edit: there's four eggs in there, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I want to share this on here...Did a dry run today for future.. and its lovely..I think.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/soupsstewsandchili/r/carrotcoconut.htm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

chucken1 wrote: »
    I want to share this on here...Did a dry run today for future.. and its lovely..I think.

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/soupsstewsandchili/r/carrotcoconut.htm

Certainly does sound yummy. Very Thai sort of flavours. The only thing I might be inclined to skirt, is the curry powder, it might overpower the delicate carrot flavour (though it would go down nicely with the coconut milk).

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Millet, oats or maybe buckwheat flour? Anything that holds its shape when cooked should do it for you. Cooked oats are good, but I think they contain traces of gluten... I'd give the millet a try.

Edit: there's four eggs in there, I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    Ah! Millet! I'm not really allowed have any grains except millet and quinoa so that's perfect. Gonna give these a go tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

smccarrick wrote: »
    Certainly does sound yummy. Very Thai sort of flavours. The only thing I might be inclined to skirt, is the curry powder, it might overpower the delicate carrot flavour (though it would go down nicely with the coconut milk).

I've made a similar soup before and I found the curry powder really complements the carrot flavour. Worth a try anyway :)
    Ah! Millet! I'm not really allowed have any grains except millet and quinoa so that's perfect. Gonna give these a go tonight.

I remembered another thing after I turned off my laptop... Potato! Really good in burgers, if you can eat them. You could sub in maybe one medium mashed potato for the breadcrumbs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

smccarrick wrote: »

S.

I think the curry powder goes really well with the carrots.I suppose you could leave it out till you have a taste and add it in then if you feel it needs it. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

chucken1 wrote: »
    I think the curry powder goes really well with the carrots.I suppose you could leave it out till you have a taste and add it in then if you feel it needs it. :)

Fair enough..... My own personal taste would incline me in the direction of some white pepper. Each unto themselves.

• Advertisement

Made them burgers! I had to use more millet than the recommended breadcrumbs and in the end I think I used too much. I'll know next time! With sweet potato chips and tomato sauce. Must learn how to photograph food properly.

A0B8EDD0B8F34C279F0AB5B43F509D15-0000328695-0002057194-00800L-CC05ED8BE2B84081A13B9105912815FB.jpg

looks great!

looks great!

I agree...

it does look like there's a lot of tomato sauce

LOL. that is all. Pity it not brown

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I agree...

it does look like there's a lot of tomato sauce
    There's not really actually. It's just spread out over the top of everything >_>

There's not really actually. It's just spread out over the top of everything >_>

-_-

/slow clapping

:P

hmm what did I have.....garlic potatoes A la gain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Quorn Fillets and Garlic Butter, with Pasta Pesto:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Tonight it'll be homemade felafel with tahini dressing and spuds fried in olive oil with spring onions nyom!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I made the most awesome dinner ever the other night.

Butternut squash, cut quite chunky, roasted with a little bit of olive oil and a fair bit of Balsamic vinegar put with a rocket, raw spinach and watercress salad, spring onions, cucumber, roasted pumpkin seeds and a big dollop of houmous.

The butternut squash was amazing with the balsamic vinegar, crispy yet soft, and bitter yet sweet. Oh God. My 2 devout-meat-eater-friends even enjoyed it!

sounds yummm mmmmmmmmmmmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Gizmoisgiddy

I had pasta, with quorn mince with shallots, frozen mixed veg, and a can of tomatoes mixed in
    In otherwords vege spagetti bolognese :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Warronh

I always consume heavy meals and last night I had some veggie-salad, tomato soup, veg-fried rice and some curd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Curry with butternut squash, chickpeas and spinach and a little bit of plain yoghurt + brown rice and mini garlic and coriander naan bread. Lovely winter food!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Seitan korma with homemade samosas.

4uur9h.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Last night: Makhani dhal
    Tonight: Red Lentil/Chilli Chickpea soup

Both very very nice! The dhal was my first time making a curry with spices instead of straight up curry powder or paste. Yum! The soup was really warming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

5293076363_f0339a3f50.jpg

I made stuffed, roasted whole butternut squash for xmas day and had all the usual trimmings...

5293644648_2b1490db6f.jpg

It was so tasty and very filling! One of these would feed four people. Even my hardcore carnivore dad commented positively on it... although he wouldn't try any, he's suspicious of 'exotic vegetables'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭awesom_o

I threw some lemongrass, tofu, ginger, coriander, ginger, garlic ,breadcrumbs and egg in the blender. Shaped them into balls, fried them in sunflower oil for 2 mins and eh voila.. tofu and lemongrass nuggets.

Ate it with sweet chili sauce and noodles

It was so so good. :D

5293076363_f0339a3f50.jpg

I made stuffed, roasted whole butternut squash for xmas day and had all the usual trimmings...

5293644648_2b1490db6f.jpg

It was so tasty and very filling! One of these would feed four people. Even my hardcore carnivore dad commented positively on it... although he wouldn't try any, he's suspicious of 'exotic vegetables'.

What was in it, looks amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

What was in it, looks amazing.

No bother! Carving out the butternut was the hard and boring part! I got this recipe ages ago from the Afternoon Show, its Lorraine Fitzmaurices

It has egg in to bind it together, but I think this could be omitted or you could use water instead.

burgerOmegaAndSpicy.png
    I tried both of Dee's burgers recently and I have to say that I'm really disappointed. First off they took a while to cook in the oven, and they actually stuck to the tinfoil, while the burger itself remained quite soft and broke apart easily. Tasting them then, I found them really bland (even the spicy ones) and needed to add loads of relish to them to add flavour. I wouldn't buy them again.

• Advertisement

thanks for the recipe, looks yummy. spinach and fake ham going in mine :D

Advertisement