Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭Daisies

I've decided to try veggie for a week. I eat a mostly pescotarian diet as it is and have decided to try cutting out the fish.

Yesterday had
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056090126

It was yummy. And had the leftovers for lunch today.

Today for dinner I had brown rice with chickpeas, feta, olives and sun-dried tomato pesto with salad. Yum yum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

Gauge wrote: »
    I received Yotam Ottalenghi's Plenty cookbook last week, so today I made two potato vindaloo (with Greek yoghurt, coriander and Tilda brown basmati rice)! It took several hours of chopping and grinding and simmering, I'm bloody wrecked after it. But it was SERIOUSLY yum. So fragrant and spicy!

Wow. Looks seriously good. How spicy is spicy? I'd love to make this but my poor girlfriend really isn't able for anything too hot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

diddlybit wrote: »
    Wow. Looks seriously good. How spicy is spicy? I'd love to make this but my poor girlfriend really isn't able for anything too hot.

It really wasn't bad at all- I think when I said spicy I mean more like flavorsome! With a bit of yoghurt mixed in at the end it was actually on the milder end of the spectrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Just had some steamed asparagus, new potatoes fried in butter and Hollondaise sauce.

Seriously YUM.

And it was the first time I've ever made Hollondaise sauce, I found an easy enough recipe - sooo easy, sooo yummy, and sooo utterly bad for you :D

Shenshen wrote: »
    Just had some steamed asparagus, new potatoes fried in butter and Hollondaise sauce.

Seriously YUM.

And it was the first time I've ever made Hollondaise sauce, I found an easy enough recipe - sooo easy, sooo yummy, and sooo utterly bad for you :D

How do you make Hollandaise sauce?
    I don't think I have ever tried it.

This thread is making me so hungary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Moonbaby wrote: »
    How do you make Hollandaise sauce?
    I don't think I have ever tried it.

This thread is making me so hungary.

Well, most recipes will go on about having a bowl over a pot of boiling water and whisking till your arms fall off, but I found this gem :

2 egg yolks
    3/4 stick of butter
    1 tsp of lemon juice
    salt to taste

Melt the butter and let it get bubbling hot.
    With an electric whisk, whisk the yolks and lemon juice until the yolks go slightly pale (it'll look a lot like mayonnaise at this point)
    Start slowly pouring the hot butter in while continuously whisking. Once all the butter is added, it'll be lovely thick and creamy.
    Salt to taste and serve hot.

Takes about 5 minutes if you heat the butter in the microwave

Ouh!!!!!!!
    That sounds lovely. I must give that a go tomorrow.
    Thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

Howdy folks, I'm not ACTUALLY a vegetarian...can I still come play here??? I would be what could be called a sympathetic vegetarian, I eat meat very rarely, maybe thrice a week or so, and I NEVER cook it!!!

Anyway, tonight for my dinner I made a very simple and quick tomato sauce, with garlic, oregano, dash of balsamic, dash of lemon juice, salt, pepper and a birds eye chilli...I grilled up two Linda McCartney sausages and cooked some spelt spaghetti, then mixed them all together and chowed down!!!

Even though I only put in one birds eye chilli, the tears were STILL forming in my eyes, might just use dried chilli flakes next time, but we had the birds eye in the fridge on its last legs, and I hate wasting food!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

I had a tofu salad with rice earlier. It took about 15 minutes to make in total! :D

Going to have a midnight snack of Quorn dippers + reggae reggae sauce... mmmm.. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Had one of 'Dee's veggie burgers'. Yummy, and local too.

I've also recently got an addiction for bijous vertes lentils. For lunch I ate a whole tin of them

• Advertisement

I'm spoiling myself today, just in case the world ends tonight!

Had american style blueberry pancakes (with lots of maple syrup!) for brunch.
    Curried lentil soup with garlic and coriander naan for dinner.
    And banana + coconut butter for a snack!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Gauge wrote: »
    I'm spoiling myself today, just in case the world ends tonight!

Had american style blueberry pancakes (with lots of maple syrup!) for brunch.
    Curried lentil soup with garlic and coriander naan for dinner.
    And banana + coconut butter for a snack!

That's spoiling yourself? I could teach you a thing or two :o

You're right, it doesn't actually look too impressive :D but if you saw how excited I get about pancakes, you'd understand!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

For example today I had two crisp sandwiches, first meal of the day :O

I felt pretty damn sick after that :(

Another dinner from the Plenty coobook! The recipe is online too.

Black pepper tofu with buckwheat noodles. Mmmm. I used a different brand of Tofu this time- "Tau Kwa" by Unicurd. Really firm, easy to fry and just yummy. I think I overspiced it somehow though, it was crazy spicy, even for me!

yPK9A.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

Today I had egg noodles (Blue Dragon) with green and yellow peppers, onions, mushrooms and Blue Dragon Chili and Garlic sauce. Mmmm it was delicious and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Most recent was

Yellow rice (rice, rinsed cold water, cooked with tumeric & veg stock cube)

Quorn steak bits (1st time having them) stir fried with orange/green/yellow pepper, garlic, red onion then added cream & curry powder to make sauce..

Differant....... but nice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

Soaked black turtle beans overnight and boiled until soft (40 mins). Chopped 1 chili, 1 pepper, couple of shallots and some garlic and fried with mustard seeds, cumin, sea salt and pepper. Added the beans and gently smashed them into the fried mix to take up the flavours. I then added a load of spinach and left it wilt into the mix. I then cut some coriander into the mix/

Mean while, I mashed a ripe avocado with chopped chili, cherry tomatoes, pepper and lime juice. Makes a lovely guacamole.

I then ate the lot in a wrap. Yum yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

sliv6b.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

Had a puy lentil soup last night. I fried an onion, garlic, cumin, celery and a bit of chilli. Added a half cup of lentils, chopped carrot and plenty of pepper. Left it simmer for about 40 mins and added in a load of coriander in the end as I have a it growing at the moment. Super filling and lovely with crusty bread. Cheapest supper you could ask for!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

i had mash potato, baby potatoes, broccoli, carrots, gravy, spinach and feta quiche.

I tried marinading and baking tofu for the first time! Marinaded it in tamari, agave syrup, ginger, and garlic and then baked it for about half an hour, ate it with stir fried veg and buckwheat noodles and it was yummy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Onions, garlic, red lentils, butterbeans, porcini mushrooms, kale, ginger, coriander, a chilli and stock made from vegemite. Sprinkled some toasted sesame seeds on top to serve. Glad I got to use up those butter beans without having to taste them, they've been taunting me from the cupboard for ages, thinking they were all that. Loads left as well but I think I'll have to add a tin of tomatoes or some more stock to lighten it a bit, ate a bowl an hour and a half ago and I'm still stuffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

i had mash potato, baby potatoes, broccoli, carrots, gravy, spinach and feta quiche.

Yes, Yes and Furthermore.... YES!!!

NYOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Had a lovely, lovely, LOVELY dinner today ... (It was due, to be fair, have been living off rice krispies all week!)

I marinated tofu in Tamari and cider vinegar, and skewered it with onion and cherry tomatoes before barbecuing the metaphorical life out of it. It was REALLY yummy. Like, reallllly reallllly yummy.

And I served it with Moroccan cous cous, steamed potatoes, purple-sprouting broccoli and a tomato-basil-cucumber salad. The best bit is I picked/dug the potatoes, broccoli, basil and cucumber from my garden just before cooking/ serving. Unbelievably good. Having a major food coma at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Beans on toast. Nuff said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Baked potato with cheese and beans. Nom!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

cosmic wrote: »
    Baked potato with cheese and beans. Nom!

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, thats exactly what I out on my ones, but with sundried tomatoes too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

but with sundried tomatoes too

Oooh! Must give that a try next time!

• Advertisement

PIZZA!

Ready made wholewheat base + homemade tomato sauce + mozzarella, spinach, goats cheese and olives = YUM!

Advertisement