Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

thanks! I generally steam everything before making soup, so adding something to the oven should be easy to do to. sounds lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I'd say I'd love this!

you cooked the rice in the blended up tomato bit? what seasoning did you use besides greek mint?
    I love tomatoes, not sure where you'd buy big enough tomatoes to do this though.

Yes! I topped the rice up with water when I was cooking it because I was a wee bit short, but there was almost enough blitzed tomato-bits They're incredibly yummy! The tomatoes don't have to be that big really, although the bigger they are the easier I suppose. Big huge beef tomatoes would probably work.

I added in a bit of oregano, thyme, mixed Herbs de Provence, pepper, salt and a load'a greek mint. Also, I sautéed the onion, garlic and courgette and added it to the rice as it was cooking, so that gave it a fun flavour.

After you gut the tomatoes, you have to salt the inside of them, so you don't need too much salt in the rice. Also, protip: sit them down on their nubbin bit so they don't fall over in the oven, and cut off a wee lid, but keep it to put back on them after you've filled them with rice as that looks amazing and, in my head at least, keeps the flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

But who would hate tomatoes enough to gut 20 of them ?! the handsome devil.

On another note does anybody have good soup recipes?
    Tonight I had a lovely broccoli and carrot soup, with basil, dill, some of those flaxseed/goji berry mixes and oxo veg stock. Looking for something a bit more exciting with butternut squash and maybe sweet potato. I am using dill and basil too much to make my soup 'samey'

Nothing with butternut squash or sweet potatoes, but my all-time favourite (and currently sort of seasonal) soup is asparagus and peas.
    Cooked with 1 big chopped up potatoe, then blitzed and sprinkled with chives and a spoonful of cream stirred in...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I made a spinach and chickpea curry with brown rice for dinner. it was SO good! I can't wait to get home and finish off the leftovers for dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

bythewoods wrote: »
    Yes! I topped the rice up with water when I was cooking it because I was a wee bit short, but there was almost enough blitzed tomato-bits They're incredibly yummy! The tomatoes don't have to be that big really, although the bigger they are the easier I suppose. Big huge beef tomatoes would probably work.

I added in a bit of oregano, thyme, mixed Herbs de Provence, pepper, salt and a load'a greek mint. Also, I sautéed the onion, garlic and courgette and added it to the rice as it was cooking, so that gave it a fun flavour.

After you gut the tomatoes, you have to salt the inside of them, so you don't need too much salt in the rice. Also, protip: sit them down on their nubbin bit so they don't fall over in the oven, and cut off a wee lid, but keep it to put back on them after you've filled them with rice as that looks amazing and, in my head at least, keeps the flavour.

I made them today! Was AMAZIN! even the rice alone was so nice cooked like that. One of them did fall over a bit, hard to avoid, maybe you could cook them in tinfoil? I'll be making these again for sure!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Just made this..yummy :) Recipie made loads so enough for tomorrow for us too.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/681678/aubergine-and-chickpea-curry

Aubergine and chickpea curry.

Ingredients
    • 2 aubergines
    • 2 tbsp sunflower oil , plus extra to serve, if you like
    • 1 tbsp brown or black mustard seeds
    • 10-12 curry leaves , plus extra to serve, if you like
    • 2 onions , finely chopped
    • 2 dried chillies , chopped
    • 4 tsp garam masala
    • 2 tsp ground coriander
    • 2 tsp turmeric
    • 400ml can coconut milk
    • 6 tomatoes , quartered
    • 400g can chickpeas , rinsed and drained
    1. Halve the aubergines, then cut each half into wedges. Heat ½ tbsp oil in a large pan, preferably non-stick, and brown half the aubergines for 2-3 mins on each side until golden brown and crisp all over. Scoop onto a plate, repeat with more oil and the remaining aubergines, then set everything aside.
    2. Add the remaining oil to the pan with the mustard seeds and curry leaves and fry for 30 secs until fragrant. Stir in the onions and continue cooking until they are softened and beginning to brown. Add the dried chillies and spices with a spoonful of the thick coconut milk from the top of the can, then fry for 1 min more. Add the remaining coconut milk, tomatoes and half a can of water. Simmer for 25-30 mins until thick and saucy.
    3. Stir in the chickpeas and aubergines. Continue simmering for 5 mins or so, until everything is hot and the aubergines are tender. Serve with rice or warm naan bread, scattered with a few extra curry leaves sizzled in a splash of oil, if you like.
    TO SERVE
    I grated some cheese on naans and sprinkled a few chopped chillis on top before popping them in the oven :D

I made them today! Was AMAZIN! even the rice alone was so nice cooked like that. One of them did fall over a bit, hard to avoid, maybe you could cook them in tinfoil? I'll be making these again for sure!

made this again today for my mother! :cool: Tinfoil worked a charm!

8Rg1b.jpg

first time I had those cheese and brocolli quorn thingys too, very nice but a little cheesy for me, don't think I'll be buying again.

D'mother was proper impressed though, cheers bythewoods :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

But who would hate tomatoes enough to gut 20 of them ?! the handsome devil.

On another note does anybody have good soup recipes?
    Tonight I had a lovely broccoli and carrot soup, with basil, dill, some of those flaxseed/goji berry mixes and oxo veg stock. Looking for something a bit more exciting with butternut squash and maybe sweet potato. I am using dill and basil too much to make my soup 'samey'

I like pretty colored soup :) I make these two all the time:
    Broccoli and blue cheese soup:
    http://www.unislim.com/food-a-recipe...ue-cheese-soup
    I use frozen broccoli

Butternut squash soup:
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/v...e-best-parmesa

More on topic I had greek salad (iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, olives, feta & cucumber) with rosemany baby potaoes fried in butter... yummy :D

I keep meaning to make tomato soup if anyone has a nice recipe?
    Think I would be great with garlic and herb cream cheese or pesto stirred through :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

I made some yum curry broccoli soup for my lunch today and had a red pepper/mushroom/onion curry with basmati rice for dinner. I find it very hard to vary my food, as I have a nut allergy and I am also allergic to eggs, so some days its hard being a veggie! Today was a particularly easy going one though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

carleigh wrote: »
    I made some yum curry broccoli soup for my lunch today and had a red pepper/mushroom/onion curry with basmati rice for dinner. I find it very hard to vary my food, as I have a nut allergy and I am also allergic to eggs, so some days its hard being a veggie! Today was a particularly easy going one though :)

both sound lovely, any particular recipes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

For the soup, I usually chop an onion and add to a bit of olive oil in a large saucepan just til it starts to colour, and them I add in some fresh or frozen broccoli, whichever I have (today I made it with cauliflower and broccoli) and give it a quick stir, and then fill the pot up with boiling water from the kettle. Then I add 2 vegetable stock cubes and a cap full of Tesco Medium Curry powder, stir and simmer for about 20 minutes before I blitz it. If you like a thicker soup, you could add some choppen potato at the simmering stage. And if someone doesnt like curry, omit it and at the end stir in some grated parmesan.

For the curry I use the cheats version! I fry the veg, then add a tin of chopped tomatoes, 1/2 a tin of water and about 4 tablespoons of curry powder, depending on how spicy I fancy it. Simmer for around 15 minutes. If I have the time I would make it frem scratch(ish)!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

ssounds delish, i am definitely gonna try both!

has anyone had the Pieminister heidi pie http://www.pieminister.co.uk/pies/pm-originals/ Only available in superquinn :(

i am addicted

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

we made egg fried rice and homemade springrolls with sweet chilli sauce. Inside them was bean sprouts, carrots, tofu, onion and mushrooms. Soy sauce etc mmm

fP6YN.jpg

zEPef.jpg

0dlMQ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

Quorn Fillets marinated and cooked in a soysauce/honey/cumin/garam-masala sauce, served with chili rice:) Om nom nom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I hit up the Asian Supermarket and stocked up on tofu and other things, so dinner was miso-curry roasted veg and tofu, from this recipe- NOM!

Finding vegetarian thai curry paste was a chore. They ALL had shrimp paste. Think I'll just make my own in future.

Also picked up some halloumi, can't wait to have it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

Gauge wrote: »
    Finding vegetarian thai curry paste was a chore. They ALL had shrimp paste. Think I'll just make my own in future.

The Tesco own-brand ones are veggie! At least the red Thai curry paste is. I bought it the other day and it was lovely! Quite sure the green one is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭omah

thanks for recipe of miso curry roasted veg and tofu!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Trying to use up my fresh veg/lemons/herbs before they go off! Last night I'd cauliflower/broccoli mash with a little bit of garlic and coriander ghee, a bit of lemony quinoa with coriander, and grilled halloumi. I love halloumi :D

pizza from mona lisa bistro which had mascarpone cheese, roasted peppers, roasted garlic, cherry tomatoes topped with rocket and balsamic dressing.

it was 2 for 1 so we also got a californian pizza which was supposed to have goats cheese, sun-blushed tomatoes, parmesan and pesto. Had to ask for it without parmesan and pesto but they wouldnt let us add alternatives, bit lame since it's marked as a veggie pizza on the menu :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Okay so it was breakfast and not dinner but it was YUM! Chopped banana and melon with an Alpro chocolate dessert thing (only €1.75 for four little pots in my tesco anyway) and some chopped hazelnuts. Not a big fan of sweet things in the morning usually but that was lovely, so very much more than the sum of its parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

pizza from mona lisa bistro which had mascarpone cheese, roasted peppers, roasted garlic, cherry tomatoes topped with rocket and balsamic dressing.

I had that recently without the mascarpone - very nice! The lady taking orders was great when I said the whole 'no cheese / vegan pizza' thing. It was a pleasure to eat there!

It's a pity about the parmesan on the veggie pizza though. I hadn't seen that :( When will these places ever learn?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Raqndomer

Not a vegetarian but I do endevour to be meat free whenever possible :) Tonight I had a Spinach and mushroom Frittata with grated cheddar on top with roast potatos rocket and peas :) Got some lovely meat free dinner ideas from this thread!

Interesting, i just came on here to say I had veggie coddle for dinner last night and I see another thread talking about people making coddle! Great minds and all that, I guess :p

Mine had vegetable stock, rooster potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic (fried a bit before being put into the mix), loads of fresh parsley from my garden, Vegedeli Lincolnshire Sausages (browned a little first) and one Quorn rasher (also browned a bit first). It was so delicious :D Bring on winter, I say!

t2s5K.jpg

Korma made with meridian vegan korma sauce. I had about 1/20 of that :P

Yamamoris yesterday thanks to everyone ranting on about it! ^_^

Tofu Steak.....

zJvQg.jpg

I got some set thing for 9.50 which included a pineapple, ginger and apple juice, a salad with crispy tofu and pumpkin korokes and steamed rice...

BS5du.jpg

Was lovely but my favourite part was the juice coz it was just so amazin :)

Don't know how anyone likes that miso soup though :/

What did ye make of the steak? Ye went to the one on the keys?

I got that pumpkin thing the last time. Wasn't impressed at all at all. But the juice was gorgeous.

Yamamoris

Vegetarian futomaki ftw! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Well managed to get the Mother out of the kitchen so I had peace to attempt cooking a new recipe I aint tried before! Was missing one or two ingredients so had to improvise :pac:

It's a Cheesy Broccoli+Pasta Bake. Ya have to boil the pasta and fry the onions and then the whole lot for brief few minutes then turn into ovenproof dish. Throw the beaten eggs with seasoning stuff all over it and mix it up. Throw on cheese and stick in oven!

Half regular and half wholewheat Fusilli pasta with loads of broccoli, cherry tomatoes, red onion and some shallots. 3 eggs mixed with crushed garlic cloves and granules, fresh black pepper+salt, dried parsley and vegetable Bouillion. Lashings of cheddar cheese on top. When it was all cooked added freshly chopped parsley and scallions on top.

Feicing YUMMY! \o/

(You are supposed to have that cottage cheese with onions and chives mixed in it, but there was none in shop so was bit too "dry" for me Mother but I thought it was grand as it was!)

Moonbaby wrote: »
    What did ye make of the steak? Ye went to the one on the keys?

I got that pumpkin thing the last time. Wasn't impressed at all at all. But the juice was gorgeous.

went to georges st one. it was nice enough, a lot of tofu, too soft for my liking, was the same as any aul tofu, wish they had done something more with it!
    still, was nice enough! needed more types of veg roasted too!

• Advertisement

If you ever stop in Longford. There is a restaurant, the Chinese Gourmet. They do the nicest tofu ever. Bean curd hotpot.

Advertisement