Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

mmmm sounds nice!

last night we had home made veggie sushi, with avocado and red pepper in it, was so good!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

mmmm sounds nice!

last night we had home made veggie sushi, with avocado and red pepper in it, was so good!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

As the weather wasn't the nicest down here and both me and the husband felt like some full-on comfort food, I made lentil and nut loaf, spiced red cabbage and roast potatoes.

What can I say, I wish I had made more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Shenshen wrote: »
    ... me and the husband felt like some full-on comfort food...

well it's kale season and it doesn't get any more comforting than that! Concannon made with spuds and kale is like eating a whole comfy bed. We had it yesterday with baked beans, veggie sausages and a fried egg on top. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jackieha

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    well it's kale season and it doesn't get any more comforting than that! Concannon made with spuds and kale is like eating a whole comfy bed. We had it yesterday with baked beans, veggie sausages and a fried egg on top. Fantastic.

I love Kale, I'm making curried chickpeas with kale tonight, first time I've tried this recipe, I'll let you know ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

As the weather wasn't the nicest down here and both me and the husband felt like some full-on comfort food, I made lentil and nut loaf, spiced red cabbage and roast potatoes.

What can I say, I wish I had made more. :)

That sounds epic. Do you have a recipe by any chance? :D

jackieha wrote: »
    I love Kale, I'm making curried chickpeas with kale tonight, first time I've tried this recipe, I'll let you know ;)

Oh YUM, I love kale, I must see if I can find some today, I can never seem to get it anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jackieha

Gauge wrote: »
    Oh YUM, I love kale, I must see if I can find some today, I can never seem to get it anywhere.

I got a big bag of it in Lidl - Irish grown :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Tesco do it too, pretty sure it's Irish as well but I'm not 100% on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Have been eating a lot of kale recently. Just quickly stir fried with rice vinegar and soy sauce mmmmmmm its so good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I had my friends over for dinner saturday night.

Made guacamole and pita chips for starters.
    Smoked bean ragout served on baked sweet potato for mains.
    Rice pudding for dessert (if anyone can point me toward a vegan version of this i would be most grateful!)

My friends cleared their plates despite my early anxieties that I could certainly cook for myself but didn't know if it was just me that found it edible! Success all round.

• Advertisement

Gauge wrote: »
    That sounds epic. Do you have a recipe by any chance?

Not an exact one, I don't usually measure much when cooking, but approximately this:

Lentil and nut loaf

1 - 1.5 cups of brown lentils, soaked for a few hours
    Vegetable stock
    1 carrot, grated
    half a punnet of chopped mushrooms
    1 chopped red onion
    100g of chopped hazelnuts
    Paprika (smoked paprika is best)
    2 eggs

Fry the onion and mushrooms in a little oil until they're a little browned. Add the lentils and cover with vegetable stock. Simmer until the lentils are soft, add more water if it goes too dry.
    Drain and let cool,
    Then add the grated carrot, hazelnuts and the 2 eggs and mix well. Season with the paprika, and add a little salt and pepper to taste.
    Fill the mixture into a greased loaf tin, and top with small bits of butter (don't cover it all, just put a few small bits on to prevent it from going too dry)

Bake at around 180 degrees for about 40-45 minutes

Spiced red cabbage

1 small head of red cabbage
    1 small onion
    3 TSP of red wine vinegar
    Sugar
    Salt
    0.5 tsp of cinnamon
    0.5 tsp of ground cloves
    1 bay leaf
    300 ml of apple juice (or orange juice, that should work too)
    Raisins (optional)

Fry the onion until caramelised. Add the cabbage and fry for another few minutes, then add the vinegar, juice, spices and raisins if you are using them.
    Let it simmer for at least 1 hour, then season with sugar and a little salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Not an exact one, I don't usually measure much when cooking, but approximately this:

Lentil and nut loaf

1 - 1.5 cups of brown lentils, soaked for a few hours
    Vegetable stock
    1 carrot, grated
    half a punnet of chopped mushrooms
    1 chopped red onion
    100g of chopped hazelnuts
    Paprika (smoked paprika is best)
    2 eggs

Fry the onion and mushrooms in a little oil until they're a little browned. Add the lentils and cover with vegetable stock. Simmer until the lentils are soft, add more water if it goes too dry.
    Drain and let cool,
    Then add the grated carrot, hazelnuts and the 2 eggs and mix well. Season with the paprika, and add a little salt and pepper to taste.
    Fill the mixture into a greased loaf tin, and top with small bits of butter (don't cover it all, just put a few small bits on to prevent it from going too dry)

Bake at around 180 degrees for about 40-45 minutes

would green lentils be fine to use in this too? I just have a ton of them to use up.

Thanks for the recipes Shenshen :)

Went to a vegan meet-up today. Great fun. Tried vegan cheesecake with chocolate sauce, not something I'd get in a hurry again though, sadly.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    would green lentils be fine to use in this too? I just have a ton of them to use up.

Sure, any lentils really, except maybe for red lentils, those might go a bit too soggy.

Had a lovely stirfry of tofu and kale last night, found it in Lidl, thanks everyone!

Finished off the rest of the tofu today with quinoa cooked in stock and mixed in with coriander, avocado and peas. I'm all about the quinoa at the moment now that I've figured out how to make it non-boring :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Went to a vegan meet-up today. Great fun. Tried vegan cheesecake with chocolate sauce, not something I'd get in a hurry again though, sadly.

I have to agree on vegan cheesecake. I've tried it a couple of times but it does nothing for me. Although, I'm not sure I ever liked cheesecake before I went vegan, so that might be the case too!

Has anyone here tried and really enjoyed a vegan cheesecake before?

I have to agree on vegan cheesecake. I've tried it a couple of times but it does nothing for me. Although, I'm not sure I ever liked cheesecake before I went vegan, so that might be the case too!

Mmm I never was a cheesecake person either to be fair. Although most of them contained gelatine anyway.

Tonight I made roasted pepper and vegan pesto toasted sandwiches! The organic vegan pesto was cheaper than that Scala organic pesto that was the only pesto suitable for vegetarians in tesco!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiralbound

Cornucopia do a blueberry or blackcurrant one (can't remember which) that's really good.

Made the other day but still eating it today........

nutroast made with green lentils, walnuts, hazelnuts, carrots, mushrooms, onions and garlic. Forgot to add in any herbs but it was tasty enough without them. Finally got rid of a load of lentils too...

BVzY1.jpg

fcLoQ.jpg

• Advertisement

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Made the other day but still eating it today........

nutroast made with green lentils, walnuts, hazelnuts, carrots, mushrooms, onions and garlic. Forgot to add in any herbs but it was tasty enough without them. Finally got rid of a load of lentils too...

BVzY1.jpg

fcLoQ.jpg

Oooh, do you have a recipe?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Last night it was bruchetta, garlic bread, and chips...tasty:)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Cashew and mushroom nut roast, broccoli, cauliflower and roast potatoes drowned in gravy.

It was gorgeous :D and there's more for tonight :D:D

Oooh, do you have a recipe?

Shenshen has a nice recipe done out above...it would be pretty much the same except I just cooked the lentils as normal (you dont really need to soak the tesco ones) in boiling water, chop up all the veg and cook it up on the pan with some oil and water. I left the veg kinda chunky. Blend the nuts and just mix everything together, mix in 2 beaten eggs and some bouillon veg stock and some flour, you can just vary these depending how moist you want it. I couldnt find a loaf tin but the cake tin worked well as no mess trying to lift it out after.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Wow, I'm totally making Shenshen/LOS's nut roast this Sunday (if I'm not too hungover)!

Last night I made a cabbage, chickpea and potato curry. I'm having the left overs for dinner tonight too!

Enjoy, tis delicious stuff mmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 29 kirw2n

Last night I had student on-a-budget style home made sushi! :pac:

The filling was Avocado, Red Pepper, and pickled Daikon!

3 rolls between me and my boyfriend :) So good!
    Living on this lately, mostly without the Avocado though, it was a little luxury~:P

I had some lettuce spring rolls last night... essentially a little Chinese cabbage, grated carrots, chopped mushrooms, bean sprouts fried up and seasoned with teriyaki sauce and a bit of soy sauce, then added some rice vermicelli.

Two spoonfuls of this into a leaf of iceberg lettuce, folded like a tortilla, and munch away! Fun and yum.

Roasted broccoli with garlic, seasoned well with a squeeze of lemon juice is DIVINE.

• Advertisement

Just back from Edinburgh where I ate vegetarian haggis every day... it's lovely. Really must figure out how to make it myself!

Advertisement