Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

there was ham in that quiche, it was amazing!

mm that sounds nice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Moonbaby wrote: »

Love the Miaowuiche Los. ;D

My friend made me Spainish tortilla with potato and onion today. Was so nice!

thanks, quiche is lovely every once in a while =]
    there was ham in that quiche, it was amazing!

mm that sounds nice

oh ye there was actually, chopped up quorn ham slices.

Never thought to put Quorn in quiche.
    My favorite meateater is always banging on about how <insert anything> would be lovely, if it only had a tiny bit of bacon.
    Think I,ll see if I can trick him! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 EmmaAstra

multi-seed pitta bread, chunky hummous, sliced tomato and Quorn burger- big thanks to Tesco ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Red lentil dahl - very tweaked version of this recipe. Really really nice. Today homemade falafel - also very nice.

• Advertisement

Red lentil dahl - very tweaked version of this recipe. Really really nice. Today homemade falafel - also very nice.

What kind of spice mix did you use? Do they do them especially for Dhal in other places?

Moonbaby wrote: »
    What kind of spice mix did you use? Do they do them especially for Dhal in other places?
    I get it at a market, but they sell it online too. I dont know what's in it.

http://www.greensaffron.com/wheretobuyourspices.php

Tiawana (sp?) also offer spice mixes for dahl - they have market stalls too. I made one of their recipes [I think it was dahl] - and I didnt thinkit was so good. Bombay Pantry offer recipes and sell spices to use too (not specific mixes) and I tried this version - again not so good imo. Given that there are two stalls at the market in Limerick that offer spice mixes for dahl, I'd guess there are often stalls at other markets around the place.

I used 9-10 large cloves of garlic, a few sultanas instead of sugar, minimal stock, extra chili, no lime, no coriander...I prefer it the way I do it to the cooked version they sell at the stall quite often - though that is very nice too. I think it comes out nicer if you use butter or ghee rather than oil. I found that recipe makes over 6lb of dahl incidentally, and it reheats very well.

They also do dahl makhani, and chana massala. They're both nice - especiallythe makhani dahl - but I like the red lentil dahl the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I love the Green Saffron spices! I just made the lentil dahl last week. Delicious. The only downside is I also got about 6lbs of dahl from it and nobody wants to share it with me, so now I have a freezerful of dahl to get through... oh well, there are worse problems to have.

The chana masala is delicious and probably my favourite. The Bombay Aloo potatoes are absolutely savage too!

Gauge wrote: »
    I love the Green Saffron spices! I just made the lentil dahl last week. Delicious. The only downside is I also got about 6lbs of dahl from it and nobody wants to share it with me, so now I have a freezerful of dahl to get through... oh well, there are worse problems to have.

The chana masala is delicious and probably my favourite. The Bombay Aloo potatoes are absolutely savage too!
    Yeah I agree with you about the bombay aloo! Never tried making it myself though.

Homemade lasagne made with quorn mince, red peppers, carrots, mushrooms etc, Dubliner cheese wedges which are delicious things (reduced in tesco atm) and some salad :)

o1WOV.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I think I might be posting here more often... so hullo! :)

Tonight I made a Quorn Wellington. It was pretty good!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hi mate, welcome! Sounds nice, what was in it?

also that lasagne up there was so amazing mmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Made this the other night, absolutely delicious and very easy to make it's a nevan maguire recipe butternut squash pasta bake

http://www.rte.ie/food/2012/0106/butternutpastabake.html

he made a slightly different one on his TV show recently where he substituted most of the mascarpone with creme fraiche but I think any mix of mascarpone/creme fraiche/sour cream would work or philadelphia either.

Obviously, Parmesan is included in the recipe but could be left out/replaced.

I think I might be posting here more often... so hullo! :)

Tonight I made a Quorn Wellington. It was pretty good!

I love your post in the cooking club.
    Looking forward to seeing you around the place. :)

I make a pasta bake like that Schemingbo...with blue cheese, walnuts and broccoli.
    Must give Nevens version a go.

Having butternut squash and smoked tofu risotto tonight. :)

you're all so fanceh! I made veggie sausage sambo for tea :D

Hi mate, welcome! Sounds nice, what was in it?

Why, thank you!

I made it from a slice of Quorn Family Roast, mustard and pureed mushrooms wrapped in puff pastry and baked. I'll make it again soon and take a photo of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I bought celeriac in Lidl last week. Had never had it before!
    Made celeriac and potato soup with a little coconut milk added in- was unbelievably nice! Been eating it all week, just gone now :( So good.

Also, anyone been to SkinFlint? http://www.skinflint.joburger.ie/

I went there this week with a friend, it was amazingly nice (but so weird!)
    We shared 2 pizzas, the "lil" which had blue cheese, poached pear, pickled onion and cream (so odd, but it was very lovely) and "eithne", a butternut squash-y one, which was UNREAL, especially with honey drizzled on it. They've loads of yummy veggie options and it's such a cool place. Mmmmm. Not overly cheap but definitely worth it. YUM.

bythewoods wrote: »
    I bought celeriac in Lidl last week. Had never had it before!
    Made celeriac and potato soup with a little coconut milk added in- was unbelievably nice! Been eating it all week, just gone now :( So good.

Also, anyone been to SkinFlint? http://www.skinflint.joburger.ie/

I went there this week with a friend, it was amazingly nice (but so weird!)
    We shared 2 pizzas, the "lil" which had blue cheese, poached pear, pickled onion and cream (so odd, but it was very lovely) and "eithne", a butternut squash-y one, which was UNREAL, especially with honey drizzled on it. They've loads of yummy veggie options and it's such a cool place. Mmmmm. Not overly cheap but definitely worth it. YUM.

That sounds lovely! It's somewhere off Fleet St but where abouts is it exactly/where's it near?
    That 'eat for free' thing might be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

--LOS-- wrote: »
    That sounds lovely! It's somewhere off Fleet St but where abouts is it exactly/where's it near?
    That 'eat for free' thing might be worth a shot.

Yeah, try get tweetseats if you can, so good.

It's literally just off Dame St, down the alley after the Olympia.

Here is valentines dinner made by moi over the course of many hours. :)

Starter of carrot, tahini and manuka honey soup with Pita Crisps and white wine.

Ingredients:
    leek, onion, garlic salt, pepper, coriander, mint, parsley, thyme, cayenne, chili, manuka honey, carrots, cheddar cheese, vegetable stock, tahini.
    2 pita breads, each cut into 16 wedges, oiled, salted and roasted into crisps(YUM).

cm8P3.jpg

Roasted stuffed aubergines (cooked in red wine) with butternut squash and cranberry salad

Ingredients: aubergine, couscous, feta cheese, pepper, cherry tomatoes, cinnamon stick, chilli, onion, curry, garlic, mint, parsley, mixed unsalted nuts, cayenne.

Salad: Mixed leaves, butternut squash, ginger, cranberries, mixed unsalted nuts, feta cheese, balsamic vinegar & olive oil dressing.

xYLiG.jpg

a9DAn.jpg

fkz8v.jpg

Toblerone & coffee mousse (MMM)

Ingredients: Toblerone, espresso coffee, butter, cream, eggs, sugar, strawberries, icing sugar.

92vD1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

omg! Tar looks amazin. nom nom

the soup especially i will definitely be trying that!

thought the mousse was the best myself :D

those pita things with the soup are really amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

wtf, you made food, proper food?!!!

grr, you never did that for me! lol

look nyommy!!!

I thought the pita chips were the nicest part, that's not saying anything bad about the rest because it was amazing :P, I just loved the pita chips, very addictive. Ah he would have maameeo if you's had an oven! He will make you something when he's in his new house, he's a good boy

I thought the pita chips were the nicest part, that's not saying anything bad about the rest because it was amazing :P, I just loved the pita chips, very addictive

they do look yum! how where they made? i presuming just toasting pitta bread lol

maameeo wrote: »
    they do look yum! how where they made? i presuming just toasting pitta bread lol

ye just broken up pita bread, bitta oil and bake them for a about 10mins or something, they were like crisps, lovely

ye just broken up pita bread, bitta oil and bake them for a about 10mins or something, they were like crisps, lovely

nyom!!!

wish id taken a pic of the pies i made on valentines! made a spicy and non spicy and also a cheese cake :D

Looks gorgeous Tar!

thanks! so proud of my mousse :pac:

maybe los could show off her cooking skills for us maameeo? She has this mean peppermint icecream i've heard about for a long time hehe.

Had more stuffed aubergine with that salad last night mmm. :)

• Advertisement

I made a quiche! red peppers, onions, mushrooms and cheese, was very tasty ^_^

gNplF.jpg

Miaow! The cat face is cool! What did you make it from?

I had falafel.

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=12025

Falafel, dressing, salsa, lettuce and pitta bread.

It was my first time making pitta and they turned out great. This is the recipe I used.

---

I also did a bit of geekery as regards the amount of oil that they take on due to being deep fried...

The pot of oil (pot and oil) weighed 1168g before being used. Afterwards it weighed 1144g. A loss of 24g.

The draining plate, sheet of kitchen paper and spoon wieghed 527g before and 537g after. A plus of 10g.

That means the batch of 16 falafel (there were 16, but only 12 in the photo due to a certain somebody...) took on only 14g of oil, which works out as less than 1g per piece.

I also made each one the exact same weight: 25g. They weighed 22g after frying, meaning they lose 4g of moisture and take on 1g of oil.

Advertisement