Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I had burgers tonight as well :D falafel burgers! With salad and home made hummus. I love chickpeas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

oh my god little Alex, your food looks amazing! im starving now!!

Tar, no, no no no no, no ketchup curry.... no!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Loving the sly out of focus cornucopia cookbook :p

Ha I noticed that too!
    maameeo wrote: »

there was no ketchup in it! Just cherry tomatoes.

I made hoummous for the first time the other day, really nice, so easy, I wouldn't put as much tahini in it again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Stompbox wrote: »
    From what did you make the burgers? They look delish!

No particular recipe: carrot, potato and handfuls of different beans bolied together for about half an hour and then roughly mashed. Along with some spice and seasoning. They will hold their shape if you put them in the fridge to firm up and dry out a bit.
    Do try that recipe, best curry type thing I ever tasted!

Loving the sly out of focus cornucopia cookbook :p

Ha! Eagle Eyes or what! :pac:

Thanks! :)
    --LOS-- wrote: »
    Ha I noticed that too!

there was no ketchup in it! Just cherry tomatoes.

I made hoummous for the first time the other day, really nice, so easy, I wouldn't put as much tahini in it again though.

I made that curry tonight, LOS. It was lovely! My rice also turned out "wet" and not fluffy. Maybe boiling the rive normally with water and then stirring in a sachet of creamed coconut at the end would help?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

It sounds wrong I know but it works so well. It's just so fruity and tangy! Works with Madras paste too but isn't as nice in my opinion.

• Advertisement

I had some leftover tomato curry and rice so I made stuffed peppers out of it.

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=12251

That book the last time was not there on purpose, but this time it might be! :pac:

I think we should have a Come dine with Little Alex competition :P

What are the potatoes?

I am making banana bread today :)

It's potato dauphinoise, Moonbaby. Not as fancy as it sounds. :D And actually easy to make.

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=12263

This is German Lentil Stew with Linda McCartney sausages. As far as I can make out Goodall's Yorkshire Relish is a veggie version of Worcester sauce. Anyone know any better?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Loving your posts, keep it up, and cook for us :D

• Advertisement

Loving your posts, keep it up, and cook for us :D

Ha! Maybe we could do something like that some time!

Chin chin!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

Everything on the last two pages looks delicious! :D I like this thread already, I'm trying to go vegetarian, looks like this thread could give me great meal ideas :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

Ok peoples, here’s one for everyone to try…
    Its called a peanut curry

Fry a fonely chopped onion, green pepper and 3 cloves of garlic for 10 minutes. Add a teaspoon 0f cumin seeds and a teaspoon of chilli powder, fry for 2-3 minutes. Add a tin of tomatoes, ¾ pint of water, juice of half a lemon and simmer for 20 minutes.

While the above is cooking, boil a tin of kidney beans in water for 10-15 minutes. Put 3-4 tablespoons of crunchy peanut butter into a bowl and pour in 3-4 tablespoons of boiling water and mix well. Drain the kidney beans and add the beans and peanut butter to the simmering curry. Cook for another 5 minutes and serve with fresh coriander, parsley and rice or couscous.

Personally I just eat it with nann bread. No rice. No couscous.

Magnifique

If you do cook it, post your reviews please!!!

That sounds nice ^ I love satay sauce from the chinese so it might be something similar, might try it!

I have a thing for burgers, as you may have guessed. :)

Tonight I had Linda McCartney burgers... I eventually managed to get some after some pack of savages had them all bought up last week! :pac:

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=12281

That lizard tongue-looking thing poking out is a slice of gherkin!
    Everything on the last two pages looks delicious! :D I like this thread already, I'm trying to go vegetarian, looks like this thread could give me great meal ideas :)

One step at a time and all that! :pac:
    iamthe43 wrote: »
    Ok peoples, here’s one for everyone to try…
    Its called a peanut curry

I'll try this next week. Thanks for the recipe.

I have a thing for burgers, as you may have guessed. :)

I have a thing for automatically checking this thread to see the pretty pictures you post!

Oh, I had to throw out the Linda McCartney burgers after I got them, they reminded me far too much of real meat. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

One step at a time and all that! :pac:

I've had a good start, had a veggie pasta bake for lunch yesterday and it was amazing :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

nesf wrote: »
    I have a thing for automatically checking this thread to see the pretty pictures you post!

Oh, I had to throw out the Linda McCartney burgers after I got them, they reminded me far too much of real meat. :/

Which of her burgers were those? standard or mozzarella?

Massaman Curry with Tofu.....

Djd3F.jpg

Had it with the real skinny noodles, lovely!

Which of her burgers were those? standard or mozzarella?

Mozzarella I think. I might me mixing them up with something else but I've had no luck with faux meat burgers so far.

• Advertisement

Perhaps the ones you get in health food shops that you add water to? Very nice.

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=12303

Made with Frank's RedHot sauce and Quorn Fillets.

As usual your food looks amazing, how did you do it?

Had a litre pitcher of red wine berry sangria in Dada last night, have to say it's an amazing drink! Was so good, great with a meal.

Along with that had pumpkin and carrot tangine with marinated lentils, home made chips, spicy roast potatoes hara and bread. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Had a litre pitcher of red wine

on a slightly related side note, i noticed [when in australia] that the really shi//y "bag" wine had chicken egg and fish as listed ingredients. I think to give it a fake aged taste. I've not noticed this here, as i don't really drink wine, but I'm sure it's creeping in.

I wouldn't drink a particular wine for this reason, but i still can't let go of guinness. I need the iron. But I am a bad veggie.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Feu wrote: »
    on a slightly related side note, i noticed [when in australia] that the really shi//y "bag" wine had chicken egg and fish as listed ingredients. I think to give it a fake aged taste. I've not noticed this here, as i don't really drink wine, but I'm sure it's creeping in.

I wouldn't drink a particular wine for this reason, but i still can't let go of guinness. I need the iron. But I am a bad veggie.

Some bordeaux still use ox blood to give their wine a deep red colour (its the traditional colouring for bordeaux- but its fallen out of practice).

I had my meat eating folks over yesterday so I made the linda mccartney mozzarella burgers for everyone with fried mushroom, onion and tomato and lettuce etc, a proper big burger :D Made cous cous salad to go with it.....just cous cous, red peppers, grated carrot, chickpeas and some lemon juice.
    My folks loved the burgers and both agreed they were quite meaty and you really wouldnt be able to tell you weren't eating meat, it's nice to be able to show them that they have other options available to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I have decided it's salad season. I'm heading to Tanzania for the Summer, and even though I reckon I won't have much time to chill out over there, when I do I'd like to NOT look like a small hippo.

0b497c867cdf11e192e91231381b3d7a_7.jpg

This is dinner: A big greek salad with lettuce, rocket, red and yellow pepper, tomato, cucumber, spring onion, red onion, with some feta and quorn chicken pieces on top... for protein. And noms.
    I made a dressing which is just balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano. Mmmmmm.

(And diet coke to appease my sweet tooth. Omnom)

Have just made some mattar paneer for the first time.

Gp5x4.jpg

rlHKW.jpg

The chef in action :p

voeGJ.jpg

Nice one, chef! Looks tasty. I have paneer in the fridge so I might try it.
    how did you do it?

Had a litre pitcher of red wine berry sangria in Dada last night, have to say it's an amazing drink! Was so good, great with a meal.

Along with that had pumpkin and carrot tangine with marinated lentils, home made chips, spicy roast potatoes hara and bread. :D

You mean the wings? They're Quorn fillets cut in three on the slant and seared on my beloved griddle pan.

The tagine sounds lovely too!

For breakfast I had Veggie Breakfast Pizza:

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=12429

The pizza dough is this recipe: I just throw all the ingredients into the mixer and leave them to do their thing for 20 minutes. It's a great recipe and very easy!

The topping is passata with some tomato puree for the sauce and then mushrooms, tomato, veggie sossies, grated cheese (veggie, of course :D) and an egg broken in the middle.

• Advertisement

Sorry Little Alex, but for breakfast? Dont think I could do it! Maybe for tea.

Advertisement