Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

I made veggie gyoza dumplings for dinner. I was going to take a pic but I got distracted stuffing them into my face :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Spinach and broccolli tortellini, with roast vegetables and jacket potato :)

Hotel food can be so nice sometimes, if you ask them nicely for the vegetarian option.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Sounds good. What did you make it with, nesf?

I was lazy and used a Tesco Enchilada kit, quite tasty indeed. Will probably do it up from scratch some day if I feel bored. :)

But for "I'm wrecked after the kids" dinners, such kits are handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

nesf wrote: »
    I was lazy and used a Tesco Enchilada kit, quite tasty indeed. Will probably do it up from scratch some day if I feel bored. :)

But for "I'm wrecked after the kids" dinners, such kits are handy!

Those kits aren't bad at all. I really like the fajita spice that comes in the Old El Paso ones.

I just made a really simple tomato and spinach curry with paneer and roasted potatoes. The sauce was with garam masala and honey and the potatoes with coriander powder, cumin and lemon juice.

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12593

I made a stirfry with noodles, random veggies, scrambled egg and some paste that I made ages ago. Then topped it with fabulous Sriracha sauce.

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12618

Sriracha is awesome, in case you haven't tried it before.

• Advertisement

Slow cooked vegan chili brewing away as I speak... :D

Though looking through all of Little Alex's pictures is making me starving already!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

nesf wrote: »
    Slow cooked vegan chili brewing away as I speak... :D

Though looking through all of Little Alex's pictures is making me starving already!

ooh would you have a recipe, i've never made a chilli that was just right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Feu wrote: »
    ooh would you have a recipe, i've never made a chilli that was just right!

Big thread made on this not so long ago - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73066733#post73066733

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Thanks FF, not been keeping my eyes peeled :)

Couldn't eat the chili, I put soya textured vegetable protein into it and couldn't eat it due to the texture. However the veg was lovely, so tonight, doing a slow cooked enchilada mixture with just veg I know I can eat.

• Advertisement

Oh dear God, so good! The secret is adding the spices for the last hour of cooking, otherwise it comes out quite bland. But today I had wonderfully tender veg (chickpeas, Dutch Brown beans, haricot beans, celery, carrot and some tomato) along with fiery spiciness! I can thoroughly recommend slow cooking to others after today. :)

I made a tomato and mozzarella salad with garlic and smoky paprika roast potatoes.

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12648

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Sriracha is awesome, in case you haven't tried it before.

I think a housemate had this before. Where can I get it around Dublin?

Slunk wrote: »
    I think a housemate had this before. Where can I get it around Dublin?

You can get it in Chinese supermarkets, Slunk.

This is from Jamie's Thirty Minute Meals.

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12662

Took me longer than 30 minutes, though! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

e9765a3692a811e1989612313815112c_7.jpg

Seasonal vegetable sandwich with honey glazed baby carrots from the Cake Café over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Those kits aren't bad at all. I really like the fajita spice that comes in the Old El Paso ones.

I just made a really simple tomato and spinach curry with paneer and roasted potatoes. The sauce was with garam masala and honey and the potatoes with coriander powder, cumin and lemon juice.

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12593

I'd love to make this.. any hope of you saying all the details?
    I'd have no clue how you made the sauce... pretty please can you say the ingredients and how to make? i must eat this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

This is from Jamie's Thirty Minute Meals.

Took me longer than 30 minutes, though! :p

That looks lovely.

My partner makes the Mustard Chicken and Dauphinoise Potatoes recipe from the Thirty Minute Meals book - he uses Quorn chicken breasts, and follows the recipe to the letter - it turns out great.

It also always takes longer than 30 minutes!

I'd love to make this.. any hope of you saying all the details?
    I'd have no clue how you made the sauce... pretty please can you say the ingredients and how to make? i must eat this!!

It's not much more complicated than what I said already...

Two or three potatoes peeled and soaked in water for a few minutes. Then put into a roasting tin with oil, cumin and coriander powder. Roasted at 180 degrees until tender and browned somewhat. When they were done I sprinkled a little salt and squeezed half a lemon over them.

The sauce is just a carton of tomato passata (from Aldi or Lidl) with a spoon or two of garam masala. Then I cut some paneer cheese into 1cm x 2cm chunks and put then in with the tomato, along with two "lumps" of frozen spinach (from Tesco). Heat to a simmer and then add honey and salt to taste.

That's it! That'll serve two. I would have added some fresh coriander too, but didn't have any.
    quaalude wrote: »
    That looks lovely.

My partner makes the Mustard Chicken and Dauphinoise Potatoes recipe from the Thirty Minute Meals book - he uses Quorn chicken breasts, and follows the recipe to the letter - it turns out great.

It also always takes longer than 30 minutes!

Yeah, 30 minutes indeed!

The mustard chicken sounds good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Thank you little Alex..

I just had no idea how you'd make the sauce. and it sounds very do-able! :) thank you so much, aspire to make shortly - will see how it goes!
    :D

• Advertisement

enjoy, all the stars!

Yesterday I had butternut squash risotto.

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12705

I cut the butternut into small chunks and roasted them before adding them in when the rice was done, along with some toasted pine nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Made this today......

TfHPo.jpg

It's from this recipe if anyone's interested except obviously I used quorn mince.

I also made the salsa myself for it from this recipe. The salsa was yummy, will definitely be using that recipe again, I did use red jalapenos instead of green ones coz I don't like it so hot and I used balsamic vinegar in place of cider vinegar.

Served with some sour cream on the side, lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Seems we've got a cinco de mayo theme going. I made a.... Mexican pizza? Salsa, refried beans, mushrooms, peppers and olives on the top.

CA9C436180D0483188E05BBE7A5DB798-0000329149-0002845067-00500L-E349A9BB47234F4B93F0067F4B00C73B.jpg

Was going to use that salsa recipe you posted LOS, but Lidl didn't have any chilli peppers so I just bought a jar, oh the shame.

I ate it while watching Fringe and the whole thing was just very exciting!

It's been a quiet weekend.

I had this, made up of various leftover bits...

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12735

• Registered Users Posts: 26 1Tony1

enjoy, all the stars!

Yesterday I had butternut squash risotto.

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12705

I cut the butternut into small chunks and roasted them before adding them in when the rice was done, along with some toasted pine nuts.

Oh that looks so lovely I love cooking risotto, can be tricky to get right though but I love it!

1Tony1 wrote: »
    I love cooking risotto, can be tricky to get right though but I love it!

That's the fun of it, though! :)

I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out!

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12805

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Is that an egg and veggie burger? Looks great! Which brand of burger did you use?

It's supposed to be a McMuffin! :) The burger is soya mince, egg and flour.

The soya mince was a kind of light brown when frozen, but got darker until it looked more like a beef burger.

I made chilli earlier in the week too, based on the Cooking Club recipe. I used soya mince, brown lentils, smoked tofu cubes and adzuki beans instead of meat. It wasn't bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 EmmaAstra

How to follow up Little Alex's posts, eh? :D

Here's the latest creation from my kitchen (that kinda rhymes)

Wholewheat gnocchi, with a cream, Parmesan and walnut sauce, topped with courgettes. Grana Padano, another Italian hard cheese, is also perfect and it's vegetarian. Parmesan isn't. Hey, you learn something new... :)

The recipie's from the Silver Spoon, one of the best Italian recipe books around.

• Advertisement

Sounds lovely, Emma. Keep them coming.

I made my chilli again. It's a veggie version of this recipe. Few spuds to go with it.

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12863

Advertisement