Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

This is what I had for breakfast this morning:

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12903

Toast, veggie sossies, my own beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, egg and rösti.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 EmmaAstra

Awesome breakfast Little Alex!!

Dinner this evening was a noodle soup combo- wholewheat noodles, courgette, spinach in a miso/veggie broth
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I 'made' nachos today :o

eebSx.jpg

As in I threw some nachos under the grill with some cheese, made some homemade salsa and mushed up some avocado :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Little Alex - any chance of getting the recipe for your beans? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

My beetroot burgers were rather tasty, especially after a couple of days in the fridge.

Freshly foraged wild garlic was the icing on the cake

http://twitpic.com/9o1vxv

• Advertisement

Sounds weird but probably yummy, how do you make them?

Also what are the flowers off?!

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Sounds weird but probably yummy, how do you make them?

Also what are the flowers off?!

flowers are wild garlic foraged picked from St Anne's Park, give the dish a very Noma-esque quality (I wish!)

Grate the beetroot fine, I put some carrot and sweetcorn in too, then a couple of eggs and enough flour to pull 'em all together. Them fry and bake in the over for ~30 mins.

Some herbs would've added to them, but they were delicious for a first attempt. Easy to make, wear gloves though, those beetroot give you red hands.

Is that unpickled beetroot, christeb?
    Wurly wrote: »
    Little Alex - any chance of getting the recipe for your beans? :)

Well, Wurly...

I got some white dry beans in an Asian supermarket. I think the packaging was in Turkish, so I'm not sure what type they are. Probably cannellini, but white kidney beans would work too.

I rinsed two cups of them them and then left them to soak for a day. After this they swell up to about four cups. Then rinsed them again and boiled them hard for about 15 minutes.

After this I drained them and added a carton of passata, filled up the empty carton with water to get the last of the juice out, added this too and then left them to just about simmer with the lid on for about an hour and a half or maybe even two hours, adding water now and again if needed.

At this stage they should be done - check them for "al denteness".

Depending on how much water is still there you may need to add some more if too dry or thicken if too wet. Using arrowroot for this will make the sauce glossy, like beans out of a can. I didn't do this with my ones as I didn't need to thicken the sauce.

When you're happy with the consistency of the sauce you can add whatever you want to flavour it: BBQ sauce, Tabasco, maple syrup, whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

You're a legend - thank you so much. Ill be trying this for sure in the coming weeks.;)

Is that unpickled beetroot, christeb?

Yep. Fresh and unpickled. It's a fecker for messing up your kitchen, but the end result is worth it.

• Advertisement

christeb wrote: »
    Yep. Fresh and unpickled. It's a fecker for messing up your kitchen, but the end result is worth it.

I'll give it a go so!

I had this tonight...

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12954

Plantation Cheese Log with Melba Toast.

It's a tub of Philadelphia scooped out onto clingfilm and rolled into a sausage. Then put in the freezer for an hour or so to stiffen up, taken out and rolled in Cajun spices. Then it's cut carefully into thin slices.

The toast is bread toasted on both sides under the oven grill. Then the four crusts are cut off and the bread is sliced through the middle and put back under the grill and the former inside is toasted up.

I blended the crusts in my food processor to make breadcrumbs and froze them.

This was the second part.

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=12955

Jambalaya.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Love this thread.. I have my staunch veggie Sister coming for dinner on Sunday :) getting some great ideas here!!!!

Falafel salad :) The falafel is just made from the 'alfez' falafel mix you get in tesco.

EYGEv.jpg

Ve ry nice, LOS! Lovely, bright colours in your photo!
    xzanti wrote: »
    Love this thread.. I have my staunch veggie Sister coming for dinner on Sunday :) getting some great ideas here!!!!

Sound, xzanti! How did you get on? Don't be shy with the photos, now! :)

I had a day off work today and made from scratch ravioli...

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13023

Filled with pumpkin (in the freezer since last Halloween), spinach, goat's cheese and some fennel seed. Bit of a salad on the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

79723c88b0d411e180d51231380fcd7e_7.jpgLlXn58rNtT

Yesterday i made Matar Paneer with Tumeric rice from scratch.. my first go - but was really lovely. Next time might use smoked paprika instead of usual paprika just for a more definite flavor. (nan bread is Tesco finest ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Yesterday i made Matar Paneer with Tumeric rice from scratch.. my first go - but was really lovely. Next time might use smoked paprika instead of usual paprika just for a more definite flavor. (nan bread is Tesco finest ;))

Can I ask if you made the paneer yourself, or if you bought it?
    If you bought it, could you tell us where?
    And if you made it yourself, how did you get it to be firm enough to hold together in cubes? I made it before once, but it fell apart while cooking... Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Shenshen wrote: »
    And if you made it yourself, how did you get it to be firm enough to hold together in cubes? I made it before once, but it fell apart while cooking... Thanks!

I bought the Paneer, Spice shop in Tullamore.
    Cut it into Cubes - the receipe i followed is here: (and i plan to make more from this site...)
    http://spicediary.com/

Shenshen wrote: »

You can get paneer pretty handy in any indian type shop

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Something simple enough, some vegetable soup with bread to dip in it :) A yogurt for dessert, and some Thé de Alizés to finish.

• Advertisement

I made kinda ravioli, filled with spinach, sour cream, breadcrumbs and lots of freshly grated horseradish. With no-mayonnaise potato salad.

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13087

Very nice, LOS. That's quite a feast! :)

Last night I had Singapore fried rice with tofu. Very happy with the taste, which was pretty similar to the Chinese takeaway version.

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13284

oh I'd say I'd like that, do you have a recipe that you used Alex?

Sure!

Singapore fried rice is definitely one of my Chinese takeaway favourites!

I boiled some rice the night before and left it in a bowl in the fridge. After this the grains should be dry and separate easily.

I first fry-scrambled an egg in a frying pan on medium high heat using sesame oil to give it a real Chinese flavour. Then I added the tofu and veg and stirfried them for about two minutes only.

I used what I had; yellow pepper, mild red chilli cut into rings, frozen peas, carrot, but I guess anything can be used. I also made it with mixed sprouted beans last week and it turned out great.

Then in went the rice to be mixed in and fried until it was well heated through. I also added a few tablespoons of water to moisten the lot up.

When it was heated through I added a glug of soy sauce and a good sprinkling of curry powder (nothing fancy - just the sfuff in the photo) and stirred through. Then tasted to see if it needed more seasoning.

I finished it with some Sriracha sauce.

thanks! nice tip about pre-cooking the rice

Quorn Southern Style Strips with potatoes:

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13287

They were really good!

The beer is Aldi's Birra Rossini from Italy and is labelled as suitable for veggies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

those quorn strips are real nice. Nice reggae reggae sauce too!

Last night I made: Garlic breaded mushrooms, veg & tofu spring rolls with sweet n sour sauce and egg fried rice. Tiramisu and a nice red cheap wine heh. Having more garlic mushrooms now :-o

i2AIf.jpgK75gN.jpg8aUrv.jpg

those quorn strips are real nice. Nice reggae reggae sauce too!

Hear me now!

That's a serious spread, chef! Nice one!

• Advertisement

--LOS-- wrote: »
    thanks! nice tip about pre-cooking the rice

Yeah, LOS, you need to use day old rice.

Advertisement