Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Roasted tomato, red pepper and veggie green pesto soup, made by Mrs. Alex:

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13391

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Feathers

As far as I can make out Goodall's Yorkshire Relish is a veggie version of Worcester sauce. Anyone know any better?

Hi Alex,

you posted pages back at this stage, so not sure if anyone got back on it. But yes, Yorkshire Relish would be a good substitute for Worchester sauce (didn't know you could still get it though?)

Goodall's used to do another sauce — YR — which was brown sauce, like Chef but much better. Had the tagline 'Yorkshire Relish thick'. This was bought out by Chivers though a few years back & has never been the same since, they made it far too sweet and runny. (HP is your best bet for a brown sauce these days…)

The original stuff should be good though if it's still Goodall's! Didn't know you could get it any more. Not quite the same as Worchester sauce, but will give a good kick all the same :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I may have mentioned this already but you can easily get veggie worcester sauce, 'LIFE (free from)' makes one which you can pick up in tesco.

Feathers wrote: »
    Hi Alex,

you posted pages back at this stage, so not sure if anyone got back on it. But yes, Yorkshire Relish would be a good substitute for Worchester sauce (didn't know you could still get it though?)

Goodall's used to do another sauce — YR — which was brown sauce, like Chef but much better. Had the tagline 'Yorkshire Relish thick'. This was bought out by Chivers though a few years back & has never been the same since, they made it far too sweet and runny. (HP is your best bet for a brown sauce these days…)

The original stuff should be good though if it's still Goodall's! Didn't know you could get it any more. Not quite the same as Worchester sauce, but will give a good kick all the same :)

Yeah, Goodall's Yorkshire Relish is still available. Haven't tried YR for years, but I'll get a bottle the next time. Used to like it, though!
    --LOS-- wrote: »
    I may have mentioned this already but you can easily get veggie worcester sauce, 'LIFE (free from)' makes one which you can pick up in tesco.

Thanks for that. I'll keep an eye out for it!

Tonight I made stuff out of leftovers, including wilted lettuce revived. And some homemade piccalilli.

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13415

made myself a crepe, I didn't make it look too much like a crepe since I just made it on a frying pan. Mushroom, spinach, olives, tomatoes, cheese and homemade garlic butter, I'm gona go a bit easier on the garlic butter next time though :o

PzVLc.jpg

• Advertisement

Well done. LOS! That's a tidy crepe! Nice.

You can never have enough garlic!!! I got a bag of fred garlic slices today from the Chinese Supermarket. They look and smell awesome. They're crunchy, just like the fried onion/shallots they have (the same as Röstzwiebeln, if you know them).

Leek and asparagus soup...

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13482

This is a salad that herself made a few days ago:

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13542

And this is lasagne and bruscetta that I made yesterday:

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13541

Quorn mince, tofu sheets instead of lasagne ones and bechamel sauce made from soy milk.

---

Saturday night's dinner:

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13544

Paella, with rings of citrus fruit, like I had it the first time in Spain.

Dessert was Des' 2011 Cooking Club recipe. It's fabulous and takes literally two minutes to make:

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13543

This tme I made it with strawberries and raspberries.

---

Sunday morning breakfast/lunch was Rösti, mushroom and poached egg:

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13562

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

1000! Never made any of this before so was interesting.

Mushroom, spinach, onion, garlic, white wine and quorn vol-au-vents.
    Spinach, blueberry and cranberry wensleydale cheese, nuts, olives, cherry tomatoes, babycorn salad, with greek hummous.
    Homemade coleslaw.

aTRsA.jpg

For dessert it was toasted pecan and coffee icecream along with dark orange chocolate icecream. Mmmmm.

2f8ei.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Epic work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

You guys and girls should be on Masterchef! :D Seriously all that looks amazing.

Tar! Did you make the icecream or can you buy that stuff somewhere?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm pretty sure little Alex is already a chef in a Michelin star restaurant, while I am more likely to work with the tyres.

I made the ice creams and they are lovely! It was easy enough, I didn't simmer it like people do, and I think that might improve it. I just made it all cold so it was fast, apart from heating the chocolate and coffee. It doesnt take that long, try it out and post it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

582234_270838836354746_1963649704_n.jpg

Lunch today - Roasted red pepper stuffed with butternut squash risotto with grilled asparagus & tomato comfit on the side with a parsnip crisp on top!

It was delicious, the risotto could have done with more seasoning, maybe some paprika to liven it up, but I ate it all!

From Eala Bán in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

My God, that looks divine. How do you prepare the pepper? I don't think I ever leave mine in the over for long, yours looks perfectly softened.

EDIT: Just realised that you were eating out!

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    You guys and girls should be on Masterchef! :D Seriously all that looks amazing.

Tar! Did you make the icecream or can you buy that stuff somewhere?

Hi TT!
    I'm pretty sure little Alex is already a chef in a Michelin star restaurant, while I am more likely to work with the tyres.

I made the ice creams and they are lovely! It was easy enough, I didn't simmer it like people do, and I think that might improve it. I just made it all cold so it was fast, apart from heating the chocolate and coffee. It doesnt take that long, try it out and post it up!

Yeah, right. Have a look at fillefatale's post. I think that just blasted me out of the water! :)

I believe that was cooked as somebodies job, and I don't think so :p

Mmm I really want that pepper!

I have the urge to make parsnip crisps now!

--LOS-- wrote: »
    I have the urge to make parsnip crisps now!

So did you? :) Courgettes work well too!

Have you tried Tyrrell's root vegetable crisps?

Anyway, tonight we had Tesco Vegilicious! Bean Burgers, dill and lemon potatoes and a stuffed courgette made by Mrs. Alex. So it was a team job! :D

picture.php?albumid=2062&pictureid=13677

The bean burgers were quite good, much better than the other type which Tesco have; cheese and onion or something like that. They weren't so good.

Herself's courgette was savage!

No I didnt yet! Used to loved M&S parsnip crisps but they've just put up the price too much now. I really like those tesco bean burgers too, tried the cheese ones but found them to be typical of veggie burgers....just full of potato.

Lentil bolognaise on a bed of skinny noodles.

YA5k0.jpg

Baked poha cakes, recipe kinda made up. Came from this http://indianfood.about.com/od/sidesandsalads/r/poha.htm but used an egg to bind and made them into cakes.

LQf7V.jpg

• Advertisement

flattened rice is awesome, such a quick thing to use, I made some rice pudding there with it, just washed off some flattened rice, blended it up into a paste, added it to boiled soya milk, flavoured with a cardamon pod and sugar, yummy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Black bean and mushroom burgers, salad, and tortilla chips for me.

234B576FC81A472688C8416D98077A42-0000329149-0002971932-00500L-2C1D37B8762A43C3B82219E910C6D913.jpg

Made Dum Aloo, had it with some naan and mango chutney. Recipe from here (I baked the potatoes though and threw in some leftover kidney beans and lentils)

19rsr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

I made the most yummy Curry Parsnip soup :) was fab - given i've not made soup in years it came out great! Just used vegetable stock and lactofree cream.
    http://www.cookwithavonmore.ie/recipe/curried-parsnip-soup-2/

Also, came upon this website... some amazing looking veggie receipes on here!! http://www.tinnedtomatoes.com
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

looks great all the stars, me love me some soup. And she is doing the alternate Day fasting diet, which i've just started, so good to get some recipes for that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I made this pizza the other day. It was rectangular and delicious.

582FEE0A940D4BA79A56AD519700620A-0000329149-0003002924-00500L-7B8D23F0FB2F412DBD4FB6BC338F3B1F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I'm living in Venice for 5 weeks for work and eating a lot of pizza. Here's one I had a couple of nights ago in my favourite local restaurant - margarita with courgette and aubergine, sliced so thinly here, I adore it.

392386_282351285203501_692200956_n.jpg

made some roast butternut-squash soup, roasted the squash with some honey on it, made it extra nice.

EA0OE.jpg

made some carrot and coriander soup, so easy, so yummy

• Advertisement

..and now with added homemade croutons :D

goTWc.jpg

Advertisement