Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

No cooking tonight....yay! I got a yummy Chinese takeaway, Vegetable Szechuan with boiled rice, it was delish. I have a few food allergies and my local Chinese are great for making it for me to my specifications :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Butternut squash and caramelized onion pizza:

fkf1H.jpg?1

goats cheese and roast fennel pizza:

oXQjl.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

They look amazing.

I think I may have also perfected my Quinoa cooking. I'm using 2:1 ratio with water and throwing in veggie stock cubes along with other spices. nom :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

735030_316837375088225_1108508527_n.jpg
    Sweet potato, spinach & hazelnut en croute, made by my fair hand from the Cornucopia cookbook.

247338_316850695086893_1261584541_n.jpg
    Buche de Noel, with chestnut cream

407550_317061475065815_108523125_n.jpg
    I made cranberry, almond and dark chocolate biscotti to give as gifts to relatives over the Xmas

Looks amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I'm awful at cous cous too!, I can't get it right, and I want to.

Made cous cous last night and my usual method is put 1 mug of cous cous in a large bowl and add some salt and peppercorns, then add 1.5 mug of rapidly boiling water. Cover with clingfilm and leave for about 10 mins. Works a treat every time. I find adding any oil leaves it claggy and slimy. If you find after 10 mins that it is still a bit grainy, add another half mug of boiling water, recover and leave for another 7 mins or so. The cous cous should be about double in size when its ready. Use a fork to fluff it up rather than a spoon.

Last night our yummy dinner was haloumi marinated in olive oil, lemon juice, fresh chilli, honey, ginger, salt and pepper. Left to marinate for about an hour. Then fried on a griddle pan (no oil needed, the marinade oil is enough).

Then served the haloumi on a bed of cous cous which had flat leaf parsley, chopped dates, olives, pomegranite, almonds and pine nuts.

Drizzle over the remaining marinade juice.

I sometimes substitute the honey with pomegranite molases but didn't have any this time. You can get the molases in most middle eastern or Turkish shops. It is great drizzled on salads too.

On the menu tonight are fig, gorgonzola and mascarpone filo parcels and a parsley and red onion salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Slightly overdone but nonetheless really yummy peanut stew. Considering I'm a rubbish cook and this is the second thing I've ever made from scratch on my own I'm quite happy with it.

Slightly overdone but nonetheless really yummy peanut stew. Considering I'm a rubbish cook and this is the second thing I've ever made from scratch on my own I'm quite happy with it.

What is inside? I love nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Moonbaby wrote: »
    What is inside? I love nuts.

Potatoes, onion and chickpeas. Recipe is here. Super easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Decided last week to go from full on meat eater to vegan! Have been doing pretty well, going vegetarian some days just to get rid of leftovers.

But last night I had Tuscan-style Pasta with Chickpeas, Courgette and Rosemary. It was delicious!

Tonight will be a veggie chili hopefully.

• Advertisement

Just had some linda mccartney sausages with quinoa, green beans and butter beans. Protein overload.
    also tried some new firey chilly ketchup. BOOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Had some veggies left over before getting this weeks shop so just made Tomato, Lentil, Red Pepper and Rosemary Soup. Amazing.

8417154788_a6a5299987.jpg
    8417062980_98dcbda77f.jpg

Vegetarian Shepherd's Pie from A Casa Mia in Sligo. Portion size a bit on the small side but delicious, with a glass of chianti!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

There is a new Mexican food place in our local food court. I had their "Small Ass Nachos" This is nachos with refried beans, fava beans, cheese sauce, sour cream, fresh salsa, salsa sauce, guacamole, grated cheese, lettuce & diced onions. It was amazing!

Whispered wrote: »
    There is a new Mexican food place in our local food court. I had their "Small Ass Nachos" This is nachos with refried beans, fava beans, cheese sauce, sour cream, fresh salsa, salsa sauce, guacamole, grated cheese, lettuce & diced onions. It was amazing!

Is that in Dubland? It sounds savage.

I had pablo picantes for the first time last week.
    Twas lovely.

Not a big fan of Pablo Picantes - had their veggie burrito a few weeks ago and it was really really bland. More rice than anything else. But I decided to give them a second go and second time round went for the spicy salsa (went medium first time) and TBH all that had flavour was the salsa - everything else was just bland stodge.

However! I often go to Mama's revenge on Nassau street before I am head into college in the evenings, and WOW! gorgeous. Even the mild versions are so tasty and full of zing. The quesedilla are delish and the burritos are so delicious and really really filling! Highly recommend!

Was this the one on baggot street'?
    Mine wasn't bland or overly ricey at all.
    I have had that in other places though, and I wouldn't be at all impressed.

Must give Mamas revenge a go. :)

yeah the one on Baggot Street. I was heading into college at 6.30 and absolutely ravenous, so was really looking forward to tucking in. Really really disappointed though. Mama's revenge is my new pre-college eatery! savage!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Is that in Dubland? It sounds savage.

It's in Newbridge, in the whitewater shopping centre. Yummy!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I had an Innocent Bombay Curry Veg Pot last night, very nice.

For tonight I have a Dee's Quinoa Pot with Thai Vegetables and Lentils, later in the week I'll be having a Linda McCartney Chilli Con Carne.

I'm not vegetarian but my cooking options this week are limited to the microwave and these are all tasty and healthier than other ready meals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DeesWholefoods

hardCopy wrote: »
    I had an Innocent Bombay Curry Veg Pot last night, very nice.

For tonight I have a Dee's Quinoa Pot with Thai Vegetables and Lentils, later in the week I'll be having a Linda McCartney Chilli Con Carne.

I'm not vegetarian but my cooking options this week are limited to the microwave and these are all tasty and healthier than other ready meals.

How did you get on with the Quinoa Pot - hope it was tasty and filling!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I definitely prefer them over the others, really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭DeesWholefoods

I definitely prefer them over the others, really good.

that's what we like to hear! We're additive free too, which is an added bonus. No hidden nasties anywhere! Preservatives, colours, binders, nasty sulphites. Nothing funny at all!

I had pasta arrabbiata with chickpeas for dinner, so simple and delicious

66994_341056295999666_1484712200_n.jpg

8486421077_edd59bb776.jpg

Hearty Spanish lentil dish inspired by Rick Stein

Posted recipe here if anyone's interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

How did you get on with the Quinoa Pot - hope it was tasty and filling!

Very nice indeed, keep up the good work

so picked up those chicken style pieces from the Asian market yesterday and had them just there.
    Fried them up with garlic and asparagus in coconut oil.
    Served them on top of a bed of lentils, kidney beans and a small bit of brown rice. Also threw in some hemp seeds. This was all in one pot with turmeric and a kallo low salt veggie stock cube.

Pleasantly surprised with those chicken pieces, way nicer than quorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

My dad made a lovely veggie stew for me last night and I'm having the second day reheat now. It's delicious! So tasty!

2nd day stew (or any sort of casserole-type grub) ALWAYS tastes better on day two!

• Advertisement

Zombienosh wrote: »
    so picked up those chicken style pieces from the Asian market yesterday and had them just there.
    Fried them up with garlic and asparagus in coconut oil.
    Served them on top of a bed of lentils, kidney beans and a small bit of brown rice. Also threw in some hemp seeds. This was all in one pot with turmeric and a kallo low salt veggie stock cube.

Pleasantly surprised with those chicken pieces, way nicer than quorn.

What pieces are those? Not the skewers?

Advertisement