Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

no, it was a bag of pieces, just chunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Some soya mince in a tomato-based sauce, with diced onion and garlic. Topped off with garlic bread, for that garlic-y goodness :pac:

First time in a while I've had that actually! Putting the soya mince in a veg stock beforehand is nice, and seasoning it with some herbs works out well.

what soya mince was it?
    I've only had quorn before and thought it was ok texture was a bit washy so combining it with lentils helped touchen it up, haven't tried LMs or the soya mince you can get in health shops. anyone try that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Zombienosh wrote: »
    no, it was a bag of pieces, just chunks.

They were laovely, we had them in a sweet chilli & soy veggie stirfry with noodles mm. They are the same things as the satay skewers without the flavouring.

They were laovely, we had them in a sweet chilli & soy veggie stirfry with noodles mm. They are the same things as the satay skewers without the flavouring.

ah! I've never seen the skewers in there. I love the texture of them I throw some garlic powder on them and fry them in coconut oil it even gets them crispy. waaay nicer than quorn chicken pieces.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Zombienosh wrote: »
    what soya mince was it?
    I've only had quorn before and thought it was ok texture was a bit washy so combining it with lentils helped touchen it up, haven't tried LMs or the soya mince you can get in health shops. anyone try that?
    It was the Tesco brand one (dried), as it happens. Texture was not bad, sort of reminds me of the few times I ate mince when much younger.

Might try make some into burgers or something in future with breadcrumbs/veg/herbs etc.

Didn't know tesco did any, I'm never near a real tesco, only the crappy ones in town.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tonight I tried my hand at lasagne cupcakes. Layers of filo pasty, port salut cheese on top!

c66Cg3L.png

mBWiL20.jpg

Tonight I tried my hand at lasagne cupcakes. Layers of filo pasty, port salut cheese on top!

c66Cg3L.png

mBWiL20.jpg

O dear god, I want these.

What exactly did you do?

I layered filo pastry in cupcake tins, added the lasagne mince/veg/sauce (fried that up first) stuffs, more filo, more lasagne, then cheese on top. You're meant to use "wonton" pastry stuff or lasagne sheets. Filo was nice, but the stuff was breaking through the bottom.

• Advertisement

I layered filo pastry in cupcake tins, added the lasagne mince/veg/sauce (fried that up first) stuffs, more filo, more lasagne, then cheese on top. You're meant to use "wonton" pastry stuff or lasagne sheets. Filo was nice, but the stuff was breaking through the bottom.

The best things are always messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Homemade falafel burgers, falafel but bigger! My family really like these, usually they're not so enthusiastic about veggie stuff but falafel is a big winner yay

PuNi5fe.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Diet has hit a big chocolate wall but had a delicious vegetarian fajita in one of the pubs in the town. They recently changed their menu and they have five veggie options, five!!!
    Vegetarian lasagne, hong kong noodle stir fry, penne pasta, vegetarian fajitas and thai vegetable curry. All come with chips and a salad, for €9.95, it's very impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭macrubicon

kellief wrote: »
    had a delicious vegetarian fajita in one of the pubs in the town. They recently changed their menu and they have five veggie options, five!!!

Hi Kellief - where is this pub!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

macrubicon wrote: »
    Hi Kellief - where is this pub!!?
    The Roost, Maynooth!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Homemade falafel burgers, falafel but bigger! My family really like these, usually they're not so enthusiastic about veggie stuff but falafel is a big winner yay

http://i.imgur.com/PuNi5fe.jpg

I had something similar. Pic is from last week, we finished the batch of burgers last night. I found it very hard to get them to bind. Topped them with spinach and fried halloumi.

245070.jpg

hardCopy wrote: »
    I had something similar. Pic is from last week, we finished the batch of burgers last night. I found it very hard to get them to bind. Topped them with spinach and fried halloumi.

245070.jpg

wow looks so tasty. I find the falafel easy enough to bind, adding in some flour usually does it, in those falafel burgers I also added in an egg and they held very well. I think the hardest part is being careful when you're cooking them, turning them carefully etc. I normally coat the outside in flour and that makes them a lot more manageable. But when I was cooking those, my mother came over and pressed down on one like you would with a meat burger but you can't do that.

not feeling like too much cooking decided to try out the lamo recipe that's on the back of the jus-rol puff pastry sheets....

FDK0exI.jpg

Last night I wanted a treat since I passed my exam :) So I picked up a "Pieminister Heidi Pie"

heidi.jpg?v=1.7.18-5930f808900c7bea9d498e577745d5f5d0fa8da3
    Somerset goats’ cheese, sweet potato, spinach & red onion

It was awesome. I fried up some asparagus and garlic and had a little rice with it.

Pie was €3.99 in dunnes, Really nice, it's small so would be a part of a dinner or would do for a lunch but defo worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭wha

I made these burgers, and they really are the most perfect veggie burger in the world... not too much hassle to make either! I do highly recommend.

http://ohsheglows.com/2011/07/13/our-perfect-veggie-burger/

• Advertisement

wha wrote: »
    I made these burgers, and they really are the most perfect veggie burger in the world... not too much hassle to make either! I do highly recommend.

That looks amazing.
    I'm going to make that, kale fries and all this weekend.

wha wrote: »

love that site, theres some great recipes on there, havent tried that though.

I was feeling semi-fancy for lunch :cool:

ry5vCEr.jpg

I warmed the goats cheese to make it extra tastey

Sometimes it's hard not to add cheese to things so I had some big mushrooms to use up and searched for a recipe for vegan stuffed mushrooms, this was the result, I omitted the garlic and leaks though coz I had none but it was so yummy...

dgJYLnY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Stir fry with quinoa, smoked tofu and one of those frozen stir fry vegetable mixes. Basically I wanted to eat quinoa and was too lazy to go to the shop to buy anything to go with it. Was really good actually.

Sure that goes with it, everything does!
    Pic not working for me.

works fine for me.

Made orange pan-glazed tempeh last night, recipe here

58gM9tZ.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Sure that goes with it, everything does!
    Pic not working for me.

True but my choices were stir fry or plain quinoa.

Works for me (and Los). :confused:

Hmm had to download it then I could see it!

Tar it's you not us :P

homemade satay from homemade peanut butter, sure why not, it's dead easy, I'm never buying satay sauce again, this tasted sooo good.

aXQ931O.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭wonderboysam

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Tar it's you not us :P

homemade satay from homemade peanut butter, sure why not, it's dead easy, I'm never buying satay sauce again, this tasted sooo good.

aXQ931O.jpg

recipe plz!

Advertisement