Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

recipe plz!

Well first I just made peanut butter......de-skin and roast peanuts in the oven, blend with some maple syrup and peanut oil preferably but I just used olive oil coz that's all I had. I'm not very good at following recipes so I just used enough oil to make it more paste-like and enough syrup to sweeten it a bit.

Then for the satay, fry onions, garlic, small bit of chilli, peppers in a pan, and in this I used the asia market chicken pieces so I fried these here too, add in about 2 big table-spoons of peanut butter, one can of coconut milk, if I'm using veg like the baby-corns, sugar snap peas etc that don't take long to cook, I'll add them in nearer the end. Let it simmer away until it thickens up. It seemed to thicken very fast near the end so just keep on eye on it.

I kinda followed this....http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/best-satay-sauce-1548 and if you already have peanut butter in the press use that. If anyone has seen peanut oil anywhere let me know, I'm guessing it's probably in the asian supermarkets in town but I haven't seen it in tesco.

Vegan fast food.....

bbq tofu bites

2Do6Ofk.jpg

I kinda followed this... http://usmasala.blogspot.ie/2013/04/buffalo-tofu-bites.html#more&disp=218575

But I just made made a basic bbq sauce in the same way I'd made a pizza topping sauce.....one tin of tomatoes, one small tin of tomato puree, spoon of sugar, then I added a spoon of balsamic vinegar and a packet of fajita spices I had in the press forever to make it more bbq-like and blended the lot, covered tofu cubes in the sauce and then in breadcrumbs and left to soak in the flavours for a while, then baked in the oven, they were pretty good, I'd say they'd be nice in a wrap or something too.

I was looking at this recipe http://www.gluten-free-vegan-girl.com/2012/12/homemade-vegan-bbq-sauce.html for vegan bbq sauce but there's a lot of ingredients there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

I've gotten incredibly lazy and do not make my own dinners enough. I'm usually rushing from one thing to the next. Once the deadlines are in, I'm getting my butt in gear and might try out some of these recipes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Egg & beans for dinner today...........well my spin on it.

I made a chia seed omelette with kidney beans fried up in coconut oil.
    NOM>!

I was feeling productive this morning so....homemade hash browns for brekkie!

QJ5Kztz.jpg

And I made more peanut butter to use up a big bag of peanuts that has been here forever. It's kinda therapeutic de-skinning peanuts too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20 skylarkza

Last night was a fairly decadent dinner thanks to the public holiday.

20130506_215336.jpg

Lemony Roasted Potato Wedges and Cashew, Pinapple and Quinoa Stirfry. The lighting and my skills with my mobile's camera leave much to be desired. :/ But dinner was delicious! :D

• Advertisement

woah ^^ I would eat the heck out of that :P

Made spring rolls today, I made them last night too :o but feck it, it's the weekend

fQN7mAj.jpg

Also here's a little album of how to fold a spring roll that I made for my sister coz she hadn't a clue, but maybe it will be useful to someone.

Has anyone ever made spring rolls in the oven? how did they turn out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Hey guys,

I'm new to this forum.

Tonight I made a tomato and chickpea curry, bulgur wheat and lentils with a bit of spinach through it and onion bhajis on the side. (I baked them).

nDHa4BFl.jpg

LOS - yummy! Where do you get the pastry for spring rolls? Asian shops?

FouxDaFaFa - That looks amazing! Is it your own recipe? Or did you nab that out of a favoured cookbook?

A bit late, but this was Sunday night dinner.

20130512_221212.jpg

Garlic & Mushroom Spinach and Mushroom & Garlic fettuccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

skylarkza wrote: »
    FouxDaFaFa - That looks amazing! Is it your own recipe? Or did you nab that out of a favoured cookbook?
    No set recipe. The bulgur is just cooked with the lentils and a bit of veg bouillon for taste. The curry is chickpeas, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and a mixture of cumin, chilli, cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, coriander. I used a packet seasoning for the bhajis because I had never made them before.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Homemade veggie burger and chips tonight. No photo since the burger completely fell apart on me. Still tasted really good though.

• Advertisement

LOS - yummy! Where do you get the pastry for spring rolls? Asian shops?

yep, any asian supermarket should have them, 30/40 sheets in a pack, super handy.

I feel like I'm always making the same thing recently so the only thing I'll put here is...

vegan banana and pecan cheesecake I made for my Dad's birthday..

ksRo0OR.jpg

Los do you cook your spring rolls in the deep fat fryer?

The cake looks savage.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Los do you cook your spring rolls in the deep fat fryer?

The cake looks savage.

I don't have a deep fat fryer but all those ones up there I just deep fried in a saucepan. But I baked them in the oven recently too which wasn't as tasty but they still cooked fine that way, I brushed them with some oil to try and brown them up a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

holy mother of jesus, that cake.
    Where did u get the recipe? YOU MUST TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!

Zombienosh wrote: »
    holy mother of jesus, that cake.
    Where did u get the recipe? YOU MUST TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!

haha! ok this is not the most straighforward...... but I combined this recipe with this recipe. Just because any vegan cheesecake recipes I looked at all called for amazing american vegan cream cheeses that we can't get here :( So I mostly used the second recipe from hungry hippy, but I could only get sour cream cheese so I replaced the normal cream cheese in that recipe with more tofu (I used silken tofu), I added in the roasted bananas from the first recipe to the mixture and I used the pecan crust from the first recipe as well. I didn't actually really like the banana taste or the sorta ugly brown colour it made the cake so I think I would leave that out next time, but I was pretty happy with the consistency and I like the idea of the pecan base and it's very simple. Also I used a spring form pan to make things easier. That probably sounds very confusing sorry!

Tonight I made kidney bean, quinoa and sweet potato chilli from http://www.milkfreemom.com/vegan-quinoa-sweet-potato-chili/

Rocket on top because I love it and put it on everything :D I've never made chilli before, I won't be putting as much chilli powder in next time, but having the avocado with it actually helped cool it down a bit, nice idea milkfreemom :D

rl5Lqox.jpg

LOS, that cake looked amazing, but you lost me at "banana". :P

OK, not quite last night, but Saturday night's dinner and Sunday's lunch (and dinner) was homemade Quinoa burgers. I even made the rolls myself! (which was a first and why they look a bit more like drop cakes than rolls).

20130525_234232.jpg

Sunday breakfast was scrambled tofu on toast. Nom!

20130526_121736.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

971711_379086175530011_349511835_n.jpg

Dee's new vegan sausages made from dulse seaweed, with dulse colcannon. Delish! Really filled me up, have leftovers for work lunch tomorrow :)

LOS, that cake looked amazing, but you lost me at "banana". :P

OK, not quite last night, but Saturday night's dinner and Sunday's lunch (and dinner) was homemade Quinoa burgers. I even made the rolls myself! (which was a first and why they look a bit more like drop cakes than rolls).

Sunday breakfast was scrambled tofu on toast. Nom!

ye I only really like bananas in a smoothie, I'd say just follow the hungry hippy recipe, probably nicer.

What kind of tofu do you use for scrambling? I have some silken tofu left over to use.

--LOS-- wrote: »
    What kind of tofu do you use for scrambling? I have some silken tofu left over to use.

I just grabbed some organic extra firm tofu at the health food shop - but I think I have done it with silken tofu before too. Just press out liquid before and use your hands to break the block up into the pan to get the somewhat-clumpy, somewhat ickle bits texture.

Vegan beer battered breaded garlic mushrooms and pesto pasta salad. I don't drink beer but it makes pretty good mushrooms. The'no egg' mayo is quite good too, I tried a kelkin one before and it wasn't the best, eating it with the garlic mushrooms makes it taste like garlic mayo :)

yPILhpP.jpg

• Advertisement

Weekend breakfast!

featuring scrambled tofu and dees sausages and a big mug of tae ofc

PnWWsEn.jpg

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Vegan beer battered breaded garlic mushrooms and pesto pasta salad. I don't drink beer but it makes pretty good mushrooms. The'no egg' mayo is quite good too, I tried a kelkin one before and it wasn't the best, eating it with the garlic mushrooms makes it taste like garlic mayo :)

Your meals always look absolutely delicious, LOS.

I have another where-did-you-get question for you though. I'm not a big beer dinker (as in never drink it, at all) and have a recipe that requires beer. Where did you get a vegan beer for your mushrooms? What brands are vegan?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

I have another where-did-you-get question for you though. I'm not a big beer dinker (as in never drink it, at all) and have a recipe that requires beer. Where did you get a vegan beer for your mushrooms? What brands are vegan?

Here you go - http://www.barnivore.com/

A comprehensive guide to vegan alcoholic drinks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I too hate beer, but it makes for a delicious batter.

oh thanks :o I'm no connoisseur, I just like taking the pics and seeing other peoples pics of stuff they made. Whenever I'm at my folks place they think I've completely lost it, taking pictures of my food :P

I never drink beer so I just looked on barnivore, think I used paulaner just because I know entropi drinks that lol! But there are plenty of options.

Not quite last night, but I have been away from the computer.

Tomato and caper couscous with Rustic white beans
    20130603_000631.jpg

And thanks to all the barnivore recommendation and some Scarecrow Organic Ale: Vegan Irish Stew with homemade soda bread! (which was just vegetarian and not vegan, thanks to buttermilk)
    20130603_224454.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Sweet potato, chickpea and quinoa burgers with random root vegetable mix I had in the freezer. Really good burgers.

1iz7ty.jpg

2vjqx43.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Amazing birthday breakfast made by the wonderful chef --LOS-- :)
    Garlic, goats cheese roast portobello mushroom. nutmeg spinach, dees sausages and toast.

UspfRWF.jpg

First time making all this! Made some basil pesto with walnuts, to add to the pasta and bruchetta. Then made some falafel and a tahini sauce. Was so good!

DflAPEk.jpg

• Advertisement

Just made aloo gobi, was delicious.

vv7IHb5.jpg

Advertisement