Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I made a beautiful lentil stew with loads of smoked paprika in it. I had it with mini roast potatoes. Mmm

• Registered Users Posts: 20 skylarkza

A friend came over and we made a lovely desi chana aloo (no pics I'm afraid) and a coriander and peanut dipfrom a great Indian recipe book of theirs.

Was then left with leftovers, which were not quite enough for a dinner for me and the boy. So... I mixed it the aloo and the dip some potatoes, added a squirt of lime juice and tadaaa! Curried potato salad.

20130708_213652.jpg

Served it with a quinoa salad too - which had spinach, pomegranate and whatever other veg were waiting to be used.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

4gjii0.jpg
    A kind of aubergine lasagna and mojitos (to share ;) ).
    23ljc42.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

^^

NOM.

Especially the mojitos.

I had to make use of the excess mint!

End of the fridge curry. It does look like dinosaur poop though.

e8ljx0.jpg

• Advertisement

k9ygx2.jpg
    Lazy snack dinner - Nachos with hummus, jalapeños and tomato salsa.

35i4nwp.jpg
    Egg masala curry.

I'm sure I could find a prettier way to take these pictures. But I'd never post them.

2ep4lk0.jpg
    Vegetables in coconut gravy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Any chance we could get recipes for the pics posted? Even guideline ones -I know a lot of home cooking isn't exact or measured, but even if rough idea of what went into the meals would be good.

Any chance we could get recipes for the pics posted? Even guideline ones -I know a lot of home cooking isn't exact or measured, but even if rough idea of what went into the meals would be good.

I think it's just a case of if you want to know - ask. Everybody I have asked has been extremely helpful and posted up guidelines. I don't tend to post up the recipes for mine because my home cooking isn't so pretty, but I get proud of the stuff I do from recipe books, so those are the pictures I post. But if anybody wants to know I'd be happy to point out what book anything came from.

I must say, madrabui's curries look good. :pac:

• Advertisement

Most of my stuff is 'Christ I've all this stuff about to go off I better use it' sort of thing, i.e. I had a tin of coconut milk that I opened that I had to us. I'll try and write up something next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

woah you've all been busy here, it's great checking back and seeing loads of new pics up :)

Finally tried this one ingredient icecream I've been seeing everywhere, basically just frozen bananas blended up and then you can add whatever flavors you want, if you just google banana icecream you'll see tons of links.

Chocolate and coffee...........

6rWct6c.jpg

I would say that I've seen a lot of recipes saying freeze the bananas for an hour/couple of hours, they need to be frozen for much longer imo, preferably overnight and then when you blend everything up, I would re-freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭perfectisthe

That banana ice-cream looks great! I've been looking for a simple vegan-friendly ice-cream recipe for a while. Cheers!

Mexican night!

20130805_212637.jpg

Taco shells filled with Unfried Refried Bean (NOM!) and Coriander Mushrooms with Cherry Tomatoes [both from Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz] as well as a guac I threw together myself (avo, leftover chopped coriander, lime juice and pressed garlic with a tiny sprinkle of salt) and baby spinach leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

--LOS-- wrote: »
    woah you've all been busy here, it's great checking back and seeing loads of new pics up :)

Finally tried this one ingredient icecream I've been seeing everywhere, basically just frozen bananas blended up and then you can add whatever flavors you want, if you just google banana icecream you'll see tons of links.

Chocolate and coffee...........

6rWct6c.jpg

I would say that I've seen a lot of recipes saying freeze the bananas for an hour/couple of hours, they need to be frozen for much longer imo, preferably overnight and then when you blend everything up, I would re-freeze.

Are they difficult to blend? Really want to try but all I have is a handblender and it's not a very good one either.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭carleigh

Made my first aubergine curry tonight, was really nice, but I think I will go a bit spicier next time!

Fry 1 aubergine (halved and sliced thickly) and one chopped onion in 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add 2 sliced garlic cloves and one teaspoon of grated ginger. Cook for 3-4 mins, then add 2 tablespoons of curry powder (I used medium). Cook for 1 min then add a tin of chopped tomatoes and 200ml water. Bring to the boil them simmer for 25 mins until sauce thickens and season with salt and pepper. I served it with some basmati rice. I think next time I might add in some natural yogurt or cream just to make it a bit creamier, but for a first attempt I was happy with it.

Hot chocolate for desert :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Made a lovely dinner last night. No idea what to call it!
    Drained a can of sweet corn, put the whole thing in a frying pan. Added a big handful of mushrooms chopped and a 1/4 diced onion. Let it cook through with nothing else, enough moisture on the corn! Mashed up a sweet potato with a cheese square thing (te laughing cow stuff) and some coriander.
    Mixed a quorn grill through my sweet corn thing!
    It was lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭lfqnic

Today is going to be shredded cabbage and onion, mashed carrots (nice fresh ones with green tops), roasted potatoes, cauli with oil and vinegar and white bean dip/mash stuff. Yummm.

Brown pasta (Aldi has a really nice wholemeal pasta), a nice sweet tomato sauce left to simmer for ages, with onion and peppers, finished off with aubergine balls.

2BPh0Fk.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

IRs1nYPl.jpg

Tonight, 3 Quorn fillets with a peanut satay sauce on top of brown rice, lentils and peas and topped with some mixed peppers.

• Advertisement

No picture but I had jackfuit soft-shell tacos, pickles and roast plantains. Looked like this. The jackfruit was kind of like pulled pork. Tasted great but there was too much foostering around with the jackfruit for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

No picture of mine either, but I made this and put some in jars too, it's absolutely phenomenal!! And now I have some sitting in jars for a rainy day. Keeps for up to 6 months apparently!

^^

Sounds nice. I'd be a little worried putting the jars in the oven though, but it would be nice to have little tubs of curry that will last a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

I was worried too, and watching them like a hawk, but it was actually fine. The stuff didn't boil over/pressure didn't cause the tops to explode off or anything. They're only in the oven for a couple of minutes. You can find a whole load of recipes online to do with baking pies in jars (just google pie in jar) so they must be generally accepted as okay!

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I call it bean dealie. Basically a kind of red kidney bean sauce with brown rice :)

Simple dinner today - potatoes and broccoli with a creamy cheese mustard sauce.

lQBbopF.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

[-0-] wrote: »
    My initial reaction is "oh god, should the strawberries be there", expecially since there are jalapenos, but I suppose it could work quite well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    My initial reaction is "oh god, should the strawberries be there", expecially since there are jalapenos, but I suppose it could work quite well.

I thought the same when making it, but it worked spectacularly. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Strawberries are amazing in salads, they need to be used more often.

Advertisement