Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    What did you use in the ragout to give it a smoky taste, smoked paprika? Looks lovely.

Cannot help you on the wedges, I'm afraid! (Maybe parboiling or some kind of light batter?)

I usually use smoked paprika, but could only find cayenne pepper last night which worked just as well, and then a few drops of hot sauce.

I find sweet potatoes would get too soggy with parboiling, maybe you can only get them crispy by deep frying :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

I find sweet potatoes would get too soggy with parboiling, maybe you can only get them crispy by deep frying :(

The last time I made sweet potato wedges with dinner, I wasn't paying attention and completely messed up my cooking times. The wedges were done way before anything else so I had to take them out of the oven just as they were almostly perfectly, to stop them from burning. Then, when everything else was nearly cooked, I popped them back into the oven for 10 minutes. When the time came to take them out they were all crispy! I hadn't planned on that but it was a welcome result :) Maybe give that a try next time?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Kind-of enchiladas. Salsa and cheese on top. Chickpeas, tomatoes, spring onions, sour cream and cheese inside. (The sour cream was light and the wrap was wholemeal but healthiness is a futile enterprise with this one).

9Fs6Uit.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 20 skylarkza

I got a new cookbook this week - Isa Does It (Isa Chandra Moskowitz of Vegenomicon fame - I love her taste so have a small collection of her books)

First dinner from it:
    PtWB7IGbxCA19GyrXFurN4NG9Di_QA1QMKFmNRKc7p0=w660-h495-no

It's Caulifower and Linguine with an Oil-Free (homemade!) pesto and breaded tofu.

Twas most nommy.

Plantain with lots of sriracha and baked egg in avocado.

Rg4jr8A.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

11567182654_1c9e5f0b01.jpg
    11592601983_f4cf778881.jpg

What did you all have for Christmas??

I made a mushroom wellington, butternut gratin, the usual roasties, and my brother made roasted tomato soup (vegan).

I've posted the recipes here if anyone is interested!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Salad with mixed leaf, red+yellow pepper, an apple and some seed+nut sprinked on top, GoodLife lentil pattie in burger bun with some cheddar and ketchup. Eeeeasy mate. =) Under 20mins.

"Balumpki" is my new favourite word, it's ridiculously fun to say.

ttq70rA.jpg

These are stuffed cabbage rolls baked in a tomato sauce, basically. I stuffed them with a mix of lentils, garlic, buckwheat, quinoa, cumin, black pepper and chillies.

Sauce is a pretty basic tomato sauce with leftover shredded cabbage, raisins and onions.

I used this recipe.

It was really nice, I'll be making that again. Kind of reminds me of a Chinese Yuk Sung.

One of those "throw everything together and see what happens" experiments that came out surprisingly well!
    Tofu fried up in coconut oil with lemon, garlic, ginger, onion, chili, garam masala and a dollop of natural yogurt and trail mix to top. Stuffed in a pancake made with half and half ground almonds/flour. Served with veg.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Vegan eats:

Potatoes cooked in a bottle of ale, almond milk, nutritional yeast, parsley, garlic, shallots, scallions. Roasted the corn and did chili lime butter for it (too much :-o), and then a salad with a lovely dressing made from mayonnaise, agave syrup, mustard, cayenne, lemon juice, orange juice.

d5PeKeM.jpg

lentils with cheesy tomato sauce, breaded tempeh.

6xl5KeK.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

tar we don't all have massive monitors :P

My favourite breakfast - banana, soy milk, peanut butter and chia seed shake

6JV19oP.jpg

Made some basil pesto

p3vTSno.jpg

Then a simple lazy day meal with that

trfCA6m.jpg

I've seen a lot of different recipes for this, some even make the egg yolk, but I cba with that, I just dipped tofu in some soy sauce and fried and the sauce recipe is:

Lemony Hollandaise Sauce
    4 Tbsp margarine
    2 Tbsp all purpose flour
    Pinch of turmeric for color
    1 cup unsweetened soy milk
    Pinch of cayenne pepper
    2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    Salt and pepper to taste

kqyJODx.jpg

Sticky orange tofu & bulgar

Sauce recipe here, but I didn't have all those ingredients to hand so my sauce was just squeezed orange juice, soy sauce, ginger and sugar, worked the same.

i92KwAW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Your food always looks so good. I'm having some veggie shepherds pie for lunch/dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I posted this in the cooking & recipes dinner thread, hope its ok to post here too!

Crispy salt and pepper tofu bites, grilled pineapple salsa/salad with avocado and cantaloupe, cauliflower "rice" with a coconut and soy dressing and a glass of grapefruit juice on the side :D It was one of the yummiest dinners we've had in a long time.

10175007_10152317827147999_1520026897299935961_n_zpsa7fd878c.jpg

1175363_10152317827322999_7440425599749066069_n_zps8fa50b45.jpg

oh that looks and sounds so good, how do you do cauliflower rice?

I had an incredibly simple peanut chickpea stew, based off this. If you have peanut butter and a tin of tomatoes you can make this and then add whatever you like, I don't bother pre-cooking the potatoes or anything, everything in the one pot and let it do its thing, also good because I have very limited cooking facilities.

MuLC90H.jpg

I followed this recipe for the basic rice then added some shredded coconut and a my own soy dressing with ginger, garlic and chillies.

http://www.everydaymaven.com/2014/ginger-coconut-cauliflower-rice/

Saturday nights vegan dinner was veg & tofu stir fry in homemade General Tso sauce with steamed chinese buns (I used to stuff them but left them plain this time and it was delicious)

22C79611-DBBC-43AA-8A2D-8B49FC811C69_zpsmtncilah.jpg

D2B026F3-D129-4C09-9014-7F2513D26B61_zpsknevbf3u.jpg

Sunday was a veggie roast with stuffing and gravy. Last night was veggie burger and chips. No pics for those!

Tonight I'm hoping to do a vegan chilli :) Pics will follow!

Kind of blurry but I made some chipotle chilli last night and it was lovely.

Tonight, my first attempt at a stirfry! And last night a coconut, chickpea, nut, potato and brocolli curry, to be honest it came out amazing which was a v pleasant surprise indeed! Edit: the picture doesn't do the curry any justice .. =P

• Advertisement

Gnochhi, mushrooms and spinach with a roasted red pepper and almond creamy sauce. Garlic toast with fresh parsley.

The sauce with pureed almonds was a definite success :)

032309B7-157F-4511-9D08-D96ADBBD4FA5_zpsqt1gfoge.jpg

8E3419F0-FB4A-4968-89C2-6097337EBF0E_zpsiyzls8ea.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭padraig.od

How did you make the almond & pepper sauce? Sounds delicious.

I used the recipe below. But I used raw almonds instead of roasted cashews and roasted peppers from a jar instead of fresh. I also added a pinch of chill flakes, a squeeze of lemon and some water to thin it down a bit. Then I just added it too the fried mushrooms and onions to heat it through and wilt the spinach. I didn't use garlic as I had garlic toast instead :)

http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/smoky-red-pepper-cashew-cream-sauce/

I used the recipe below. But I used raw almonds instead of roasted cashews and roasted peppers from a jar instead of fresh. I also added a pinch of chill flakes, a squeeze of lemon and some water to thin it down a bit. Then I just added it too the fried mushrooms and onions to heat it through and wilt the spinach. I didn't use garlic as I had garlic toast instead :)

http://www.sumptuousspoonfuls.com/smoky-red-pepper-cashew-cream-sauce/

awesome. Love almonds in everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

great recommendation.! defo gonna try tis sauce, been looking for one like it for a while.

Forgot to add I soaked the almond for a few hours first so they would break down easier.

It really was delicious :)

Last nights dinner was so yum! I wish I had made more :)

Cripsy Tofu (again!) this time in a sticky sweet chilli sauce, with brown vice vermicelli noodles and an avocado spring onion salad.

5DAB5029-02B2-451B-9FFD-6B706016200E_zpsh5pptknl.jpg

Where are you getting the tofu from? What form does it come in? All I can find are frozen chicken style lumps.

We get ours in Supervalu. They have 2 types, one is in the fridge section and the brand is Cauldron. Its organic, costs about €2.50 for the pack and although its already "firm" you still need to press it for a few hours.
    The other is a Biona organic one that is in the gluten free section and it comes in a jar. Its quite expensive though, about €4 and I don't really see the difference between them as they are both organic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Made tofu, veg & cashews in a peanut sauce for dinner yesterday. Was a hit with the whole family.
    Tofu and I have a rocky past but I think i've finally realized how to make it to my taste. I pressed it for hours them marinated it before stir frying. The kids devoured it and my 2 year old can be picky.

IMG_20140501_173100_zpsck6nlty0.jpg

Advertisement