Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 STintin

Seems Delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Thanks!

I had a nice cooking weekend, and last night we had potato boulangere and baked stuffed cauliflower.
    Both need a little tweaking, they were both a first attempt, but not bad at all to start with. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Bunsbun

Shenshen wrote: »
    I'm loving my slow cooker for weekend treats.
    Yesterday, I made a canellini bean cassoulet with quorn sausages. It turned out rather well.

Could you share your recipe for this? Looks amazing!

Bunsbun wrote: »
    Could you share your recipe for this? Looks amazing!

Sure, here's what I used :

1 big sweet onion, chopped
    4 cloves of smoked garlic, chopped finely
    1 stalk of leek, sliced
    2 red peppers
    1 tin of chopped tomatoes
    1 l of vegetable stock
    1 cup of dired canellini beans
    1 bouquet garni (made up of herbs from the garden - rosemary, thyme, sage and bay leaves tied in a bunch)
    1 tsp of dried oregano
    1 tsp of smoked paprika
    2 carrot cut into thick chunks
    4 quorn sausages
    Salt and pepper

I started by oven-roating the peppers until the skin was black all round, then put them into a plastic bag and tied it to let them cool down.

I then fried onion, leek and garlic on a medium heat until the onions were soft, then added them to the slow cooker. I added the beans, tomatoes, stock and bouquet garni to the slow cooker, turned it on and left it for about 3 hours.
    Sometime during the 3 hours, once the peppers were cool enough to handle, I took them out of the bag, peeled the burnt skins off and chopped them, then added them to the slow cooker.
    I also fried the sausages until they were nicely browned and done all the way through.
    I kept checking the stew, and once the beans were soft, I added the carrot and sausages and let everything simmer for another 20 minutes or so, then finished seasoning with a good amount of fresh ground pepper.

Went very nice with a few chunky slices of fresh brown bread.

Mushroom pie with beer and onion gravy, in homemade vegetable-suet pastry. With peas and chips, and the leftover beer :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh yes! that looks great

Matar Paneer with rice, coriander naan and very spicey pickles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

^ Damn! That looks good!

Quorn au vin - turned out lovely, actually :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

peanut butter stew (with organic Italian short grain hipster rice), get in me.

11036703_10153221747509861_2292724950971535478_n.jpg?oh=0a4c875fae0f942f3a60a80c797a2105&oe=55A540F4&__gda__=1435980449_e3b667c6a4a2927e46a358268192b211

• Advertisement

Dessert is frozen peanut butter banana dark chocolate treats, recipe courtesy of LOS!

8PTsAGZ.png

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

Do you have a recipe for the stew? It sounds lovely!

Polka_Dot wrote: »
    Do you have a recipe for the stew? It sounds lovely!

Here are two recipes!

http://mylittlecelebration.com/vegan-peanut-stew/

or

TheVeganStoner-PeanutStew.jpg

I also throw in veg, like a pepper or some broccoli. I usually up the wuantity a bit so I get a few meals from it. It's very easy, everything in one pot and leave it to simmer on a low heat.

Mmm... I love peanut butter stew, definitely have to make one next week.

I usually put in sweet potato, and a bit of ginger and chili.

We had lentil burgers for dinner, with chips and a nice pint of beer, while watching TopGear repeats on Dave. Perfect start to the weekend :D

Pizzas!

One with olives, mushrooms, onions and peppers. The other one with a sour cream base, topped with fried portobello mushrooms, truffle oil and crumbled goats cheese. Finished with a bit of rocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

I made the stew this evening, although I have to say it was more of a risotto. Added a few drops of aromatic bitters (Angoustura) about ten mins before serving, yum yum.

Glad to see somebody making it! I'm tempted to make it again already.

I didn't take a picture, but this evening I made a three bean salad with baby spinach, roasted polenta and a dressing of 1 tbsp each balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, EVOO.

It was really nice, I surprised myself (new to veganism).

Kerryann’s chilli con veggie, but I tweaked it a little.
    I'm the kind of person who can never follow a recipe to the letter, and I simply have to have peppers and sweetcorn in a chili.

No pics yet, but there's a good bit leftover. Experience tells me leftover chili is ALWAYS much better than freshly prepared chili, so I might take pics when we have it again later this week :)

^^ looks tasty, might have a go. My family aren't vegan but they love chilli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

wow you guys have been cooking a lot, looks great. I made a quiche the other day, no pic but first time making a vegan quiche, instead of the egg filling use a block of tofu blended with soy milk and curry powder and whatever you want, I think I put nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, garlic powder. But the the filling turned out really good, like normal quiche filling, definitely better the second day.

Oh ye the frozen banana things up there is not my recipe Tar :P It's just banana slices with peanut butter on top and dipped in melted choc and then into the freezer, they're so nice though, easy vegan sweets and it's banana so its healthy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

These things are so nice, really easy to make....

SDuodsD.jpg

http://nimblenutrition.com/2015/04/24/chocolate-peanut-bites/

I think that's belonging to a boardsie as well

Shenshen wrote: »
    Kerryann’s chilli con veggie, but I tweaked it a little.
    I'm the kind of person who can never follow a recipe to the letter, and I simply have to have peppers and sweetcorn in a chili.

No pics yet, but there's a good bit leftover. Experience tells me leftover chili is ALWAYS much better than freshly prepared chili, so I might take pics when we have it again later this week :)

So we had this for our tea this evening and I followed your lead and bunged in some sweetcorn that was knocking around the fridge feeling sorry for itself.
    You're right, it does make a lot. Next time I'll follow the spice amounts accurately particularly nutmeg and cinnamon.

It was delicious though. I was telling a friend over the phone about the vegan chilli we'd had,
    "you mean that was vegan?" my sister chirps, "could've sworn it had meat in it" (I used minced soya).

What they don't know....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

--LOS-- wrote: »
    These things are so nice, really easy to make....

SDuodsD.jpg

http://nimblenutrition.com/2015/04/24/chocolate-peanut-bites/

I think that's belonging to a boardsie as well

I agree, they are delicious, nutritious and although they taste like junk, they're actually good for you. :D

2j1jzeu.jpg

Disclaimer: It's my girlfriend's blog. Although the I may be biased, I do really think they're delicious!

They are so good, I passed on thanks for the recipe! :D I want to make more nomnom

That chili up there looks so good, next plan.

Mushroom/spinach/basil bolognaise. Mushrooms are awesome instead of mince.

JSPfwPq.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Sweet potato and red lentil curry, t'was delicious so t'was!!! I had seconds. NOM.

curry_zps2a3x2ggi.jpg

Also... I have a tin of Mock Duck sitting in my press that I've been regarding suspiciously for the last couple of weeks and I have no idea what to do with it... It's my first venture (homemade anyway- China is awash with the stuff in Buddhist restaurants) into the seitan world and I'm highly dubious about it.. Anyone got any idea what I should do with it? A good, tried and tested, recipe guaranteed to be delicious?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Tesco have nice and very mushy avocados at the moment. The, 'Ripe & Ready Avocados Twin Pack' product. Ninety nine cent.

Tea for later, half a Romaine, two plum tomatoes, a shallot, avocado, half a dozen green olives and some (mild) mustard seed. All Tesco purchased this time, a break from the German retailers.. Home grown rocket to be added later.

IMG_20150521_091132_20150521092401964.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8 bickymary

Had a veggie Shepherds pie this evening- quorn mince, onion, mushroom, peppers, carrots topped with sweet potatoe and carrot mash! 😊
    Was yum!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

This soup, pretty bloody good if I do say so myself. I used vegemite+water for the stock, which in this case I think overwhelmed the smokiness a bit (also I used just regular smoked paprika, not sweet), so I'll change that the next time. Definitely would make it again though, very easy and very adaptable, a bit less stock and it could turn into a very nice pasta sauce or burrito filling.

I'm thinking it would freeze well but I've never frozen anything with olives in before, you could just add the olives before serving or leave them out though

Advertisement