Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

Followed up a random gumtree ad last night to get an order of Salvadorean "pupusas", they we so good!!! I had one stuffed with cheese and spinach, and one with cheese/peppers/mushrooms/jalapenos. Honestly felt full after one, but bravely decided to carry on and finish the second one too! :D

15red6f.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Some recent meals to kickstart things!

Mild cheddar/mozzarella, chorizo, guacamole, cashews, shallots - homemade vegan pizza by my friend

pMH5WEtl.jpg

Chestnut, sage and mushroom Wellington served with roast rosemary potatoes, roasted carrots, brussels sprouts, seasonal greens, lentil gravy

N3RAFPXl.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

made kale pesto smoky tofu veg noodles, so good and so easy.

xcF5fdHl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Looks delicious. Must try it out.

I made general tso (fu). Was delicious! I used to get this dish delivered in dublin but the people who did it moved to Barcelona. Not to leave their fans in the dust they started making videos of how to make their food.

TFHJV4Dl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That's pretty much a teriyaki sauce, isn't it? It does look scrumptious! :)

New Home wrote: »
    That's pretty much a teriyaki sauce, isn't it? It does look scrumptious! :)

I'm not sure what the difference in the two sauces is as they are different dishes in a Chinese, general tso is general orange, and teriyaki is brown and it didn't taste like any teriyaki I've had. In summary, I don't know :pac:

Sweet Beat in Sligo, pretty amazing tbh!

HAH9Lp9l.jpg

Made some red lentil dal, delicious! When I say some...there's litres of the stuff. Tastes better today after it's sat for the night and thickened a bit.

H5SHyyDl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

^ what recipe did you use? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,850 ✭✭✭fat bloke

http://cookieandkate.com/2012/baked-falafel/

Made these falafels yesterday and they were delicious. Baked in the oven too instead of deep fried. They shall be made again. :)

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    ^ what recipe did you use? :)

This one, used mushrooms instead of courgette and used a can of coconut milk (strong as you can get)

http://www.savourkilkenny.com/assets/The-Happy-Pear-Red-Lentil-Dahl.pdf

Spicy smoky cheesy harissa vegan bolagnaise

V02PZs8l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 68,698 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Found Natural Green puff tofu in Eurasia last week (they usually only have the soft stuff) so had a bok choy, spring onion, carrot and tofu stirfry tonight. Vast improvement over using normal tofu and as I don't have a deep fryer I can't replicate it myself. Intending to go grab some more tomorrow if they still have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Frustrated at the lack of good Indian restaurants nearby, I started cooking Indian a few months ago.

Made a butter paneer butter masala this evening including some home made paneer. It doesn't look like much but was absolutely delicious.
    vy2oa1.jpg

I have found quite a few good Indian recipes on this site:
    http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/paneer-butter-masala/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭BetsyEllen

Kind of new at the vegan/vegetarian thing.

Last night was mashed potatoes (sweet potato and normal potato), some onion, a few spices, some garlic, all boiled up.

The some boiled baby carrots and sweetcorn on top of the mash. Some nice ketchup and mustard.

Dessert: Tinned mandarin slices with honey.

Both delicious, and easy.
    Taking recommendations for super easy vegan meals btw.

That's the weirdest meal ever haha! :P

One of my fave quick and easy vegan meals I do is fajitas.
    I just fry up a load of peppers, onions and mushrooms in fajita seasoning.
    Serve in lettuce wraps or normal wraps with jalapenos, homemade salsa and guacamole mmmmmm

Another meal I've enjoyed doing recently is using a 'Blue Dragon' red thai or massaman curry kit.
    They are vegan, I add lots of veg instead of the normal meat or prawns.
    Delicious!

And veggie Bolognese.
    Fry up all the veg - courgettes, aubergines, onion, garlic, peppers, onion, carrots, celery...add in a tablespoon each of dried basil and oregano.
    Tin of tomatoes and a small carton of passata.
    Simmer away, salt and pepper.
    It's lovely chunky but can also be blended for a smooth pasta sauce. Freezes very well.

Finally, check out The Happy Pear's website.
    They have lots of 15 minute meals and their daal is very good. I'm yet to try the other things but they all look delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,698 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The lazy "I cooked this" dinner is on again. IKEA veg balls, tomato and basil sauce (dice one onion, garlic powder, tin of tomatoes, basil from the freezer, oregano from a jar) and pasta. Pasta takes the longest to cook.

If I've the energy later I'll fry off the kilo of paneer I bought in Eurasia for freezing and figure out what to do with the five spice tofu they had - never seen it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭yummymummyjay

Ted Plain wrote: »
    Well, you cut your cauliflower head into florets and then slice them in half.

Make a batter from your liquid and flour. The liquid could be soy milk or buttermilk, or anything along those lines. For the flour I used polenta and normal white flour. Make the batter nice and thick so that it coats the wings.

Now, all the recipes I've seen say to bake the wings, but I deep fried them instead. I fried them in my little pot in small batches and kept them warm in the oven.

The sauce is Franks's RedHot sauce with some melted butter or other similar spread.

When all the wings are done toss them in a generous amount of sauce. Eat them quickly as the crispy coating will go soggy after a few minutes.

For the dip I used Danish blue cheese that I melted in the microwave, because that is my favourite one, mixed in with Greek yogurt.

You would not know that you are eating cauliflower.

Oh my 😍😍😍 i have to try these

Tea sorted, vegan B&J.

y1AjkGLl.jpg

^^where did you get those Tar? I read somewhere that they're not being released until the 20th, exclusive to Tesco...

Insider knowledge? ;)

• Advertisement

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    ^^where did you get those Tar? I read somewhere that they're not being released until the 20th, exclusive to Tesco...

Insider knowledge? ;)

They are already in tesco, there is a list on B&J site. i got those in the Cabra tesco.

Excellent! To Tesco I go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

any person have air fryer recipes, I love these dishes on here

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

I make this a lot - Vegan Buddha Bowl

WellandFull-4-21.jpg

Not my picture - it's from online where I got the recipe.
    It's so delicious- lots of flavours and loads of protein. You can eat it summer & winter because the quinoa & chickpeas are cooked.
    Just had it now - yum, yum, yummy! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭MissMayo

Tonight we will be having Moroccan tagline:

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.geniuskitchen.com/amp/recipe/easy-crock-pot-moroccan-chicken-chickpea-and-apricot-tagine-137530

I'm using the above recipe but with TVP chunks instead of chicken and maple syrup instead of honey. First time making it so I hope it will be tasty. It smells amazing! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭ElKavo

Lunch pic 1 was a breakfast sambo with linda mccartney sausages, chestnut mushrooms, pan cooked tomatoes and nature moi veg smoked cheese melted to perfection on a toasted white grinder. Serious mess of my pants territory!

Then there was dinner pics 2 and 3, stheak and stout pie with baby carrots, roast parsnips, hasselback white potatoes and roast red onion, the stheak and stout pie was one for the books deep chocolate flavour was boosted with raw cocoa nibs and the crispy puff pastry, done.

Green for the day that's in it

WuJCMVTl.jpg

Another recent lunch from the "eat my veg" food truck that travels around dublin.
    Vegan southern fried chicken, loads of types of mash, bacon dust, potato skins, garlic mayo
    DsqdmwRl.jpg

• Advertisement

Last night I had a lazy dinner of wholewheat pasta, a Dolmio sweet pepper stir-in sauce, and some nutritional yeast sprinkled on top.

The nooch makes it healthy, right?....

Advertisement