Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The vegged up 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

I'd a quorn chicken burger and onion rings.

Thought I'd share my best attempt at garlic cheese chips.
    I use dried garlic flakes and beat them in a pestle and morter till they're powder, add mayo and grated cheese and chips and it's yummy time :D

It might be nicer to leave the garlic in the mayonaise for a bit for the flavours to mix but I don't think that far ahead. :o

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

wonderful creamy mushroom risotto

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Mary-Ellen wrote: »
    I'd a quorn chicken burger and onion rings.

Thought I'd share my best attempt at garlic cheese chips.
    I use dried garlic flakes and beat them in a pestle and morter till they're powder, add mayo and grated cheese and chips and it's yummy time :D

It might be nicer to leave the garlic in the mayonaise for a bit for the flavours to mix but I don't think that far ahead. :o
    Thanks! :D

After all my garlic cheese chip posting I only got to fulfil teh craving today, happy times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Pumpkin soup with cinnamon croûtons. I grew a giant pumpkin last year, still loads in freezer. This is third time I've made soup from it, also made pumpkin pies, mmmm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Last night technically to me is Sat night, was on date so brought her to that Madina place...I think I actually love their food:pac:

Indian food ftw :D

• Advertisement

iUseVi wrote: »
    Pumpkin soup with cinnamon croûtons. I grew a giant pumpkin last year, still loads in freezer. This is third time I've made soup from it, also made pumpkin pies, mmmm.

Ouh! I didn't know you could freeze pumpkin.
    I have a teensy tiny pumpkin pie obsession, there is no canned stuff available this year.
    I'm very jealous of your freezer stash.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Ouh! I didn't know you could freeze pumpkin.
    I have a teensy tiny pumpkin pie obsession, there is no canned stuff available this year.
    I'm very jealous of your freezer stash.

Yeah it freezes just fine.

Here's a blurry picture with a mysterious hand for size comparison. Not that huge but a good few meals out of it and I have three plants instead of one this year :D

14vrxap.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Tonight I'm having Fennel, Shallot, Mushroom & Cider Hotpot... mmmm :p

iUseVi wrote: »

Here's a blurry picture with a mysterious hand for size comparison. Not that huge but a good few meals out of it and I have three plants instead of one this year :D

14vrxap.jpg

Impressive. :)
    Where are you growing these things?
    I bought seeds...I must really plant them.....

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Impressive. :)
    Where are you growing these things?
    I bought seeds...I must really plant them.....

I have a mini little green house thing, but this year I'm trying them outside. Hopefully Ireland is OK temperature for them, I've been told it is, we shall see. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

Tonight I'm having Fennel, Shallot, Mushroom & Cider Hotpot... mmmm :p

That sounds interestingly delicious!

I had bean burgers which I think were possibly my most successful bean burgers ever...

DAF418D239A04F1CB73FE9CD2FD19C2E-500.jpg

Also, pudding for dessert :pac:

79CA41F22534460189A48ABB2557FABE-500.jpg

I've been keeping my camera near my kitchen :P

That sounds interestingly delicious!

I had bean burgers which I think were possibly my most successful bean burgers ever...

DAF418D239A04F1CB73FE9CD2FD19C2E-500.jpg

God god those look fantastic. Can I come to dinner?!

Here's my recipe:

Ingredients:

- 1oz dried shitake mushrooms
    - 1 large head of fennel
    - 2tbsp olive oil
    - 12 shallots, peeled and whole
    - 2 cups button mushrooms, trimmed and halved
    - half pint of dry cider (or more! add to taste)
    - half cup of sundried tomato paste
    - 1oz sundried tomatoes
    - 1 bay leaf
    - chopped fresh parsley to garnish (optional)

Method:

1. Place the dried mushrooms in a bowl, pour over boiling water and leave to soak for 10 mins.

2. Roughly chop the fennel, heat the oil in a large casserole pot and sauté the fennel and the shallots for 10 mins over a moderate heat until lightly browned. Add the button mushrooms and stirfry for 2-3 minutes.

3. Drain the dried mushrooms, reserving the liquid. Add the dried mushrooms to the pan.

4. Pour in the cider and stir in the sundried tomato paste and the sundried tomatoes. Add the bay leaf. Bring to the boil and then simmer for about 30 mins. If it seems a little dry add either a little more cider or the water from the mushrooms until happy with the consistency.

Serve with yummy brown bread :)

Sure, anytime! :P

They're really easy though. This is what I used...

2 cups cooked pinto beans, mashed
    2 slices of multi-grain bread worth of breadcrumbs
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 tablespoon shoyu soya sauce
    Juice of 1 small lemon
    2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    about an inch of ginger, peeled and chopped
    chilli flakes
    oregano
    salt and pepper

Mixed up all the above, shaped into patties and panfried :)

I actually based it on this recipe in the cooking club over yonder in the cooking and recipes forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055867514

Thanks for posting your recipe, been meaning to cook with mushrooms more!

Wow, sounds super easy! do they try to fall apart at all? Every bean burger or mushroom burger I have tried to make tries to fall apart at some point during cooking, unless I stick some tofu in it :(

Nah, these didn't fall apart on me at all. Just the right amount of breadcrumbs perhaps :)
    They might be good with some chopped leek or diced pepper... I should try that next time!
    Also, point to note: They don't re-heat that well. I had the leftovers today, heated them under the grill. They weren't bad, but definitely not as good as yesterday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I is eating baby potatoes, garlic, onion, brocolli, chickpeas, butterbeans, sunflower seeds, peas, corn, carrots and am in heaven mmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Scout Finch

Last night I made a huge salad with lettuce, peppers, red onion, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, toasted pine nuts, goats cheese and balsalmic vinegar. T'was delicious!

Got leftovers for today - so roll on lunchtime!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I tried my hand on quesadillas, with a little twist.
    I fried up onions, peppers and some mushrooms, while whisking some 3 eggs in a bowl with some pepper, salt and a good deal of tabasco. Added the eggs once the vegetables were nicely soft and slightly browned, then took them out of the pan and set them asside. I placed a wheat tortilla in the pan, sprinkled some grated smoked cheddar on it, placed about 1 TS of the egg mixture on, then folded the tortilla over and browned it from both sides, making sure it's hot all trough and the cheese nicely melted. I made 3 of them, the husband loved it and I've got one left over for work today :D

I'd mushrooms stuffed with breadcrumbs, sun dried tomatoes, onion, cheese and herbs served with mashed swede yummy :D

And I've enough left to make more tonight :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Just plain asparagus and pea soup yesterday, but I'm thinking of making a pizza tonight. Or quiche, haven't decided yet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My mummy made us spinach, mushroom and tomato omelettes. Yum!

Various mushroom pasta, with chili spicing.

I made spiced parsnip soup.
    http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetarian-recipes/spicy-parsnip-soup
    I didn't add the milk and could easily be made vegan by adding a bit more oil instead of the butter.
    It's yummy and a nice change from normal veg soup.
    Parsnips are in Aldis special offers this week too :)

For brekkie yesterday I broke an egg into a field mushroom, seasoned and baked for 20 minues.
    served with toast.
    Super easy and great to have a hot breakfast at weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

That mushroom thing sounds good ^^^ I imagine it looks well impressive too :cool:

Last night I made sweet potato burritos, mashed sweet potatoe, then onion, garlic, kidney beans in chilli sauce, peppers, tobasco, cummin done on the pan and all wrapped up in a tortilla and done in the oven. The cummin really makes it, served with iceberg lettuce and fresh corriander, sour cream is good with it too if you're feeling naughty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Last night I stuck to the old reliable toasted cheese sandwich.

And for dessert...I made myself some cake mix:p

I ate wedges and beans in a bowl :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I walked 15 minutes for a veggie burger. Sober.

I saw it tempting you on your facebook lsat night and had many the lols. Any good are they there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Cod and sweet potato wedges om nom nom.

Soooo addicted to sweet potato wedges now >.>

• Advertisement

My stalker is a pescetarian, my stalking knowledge has increased!

Used to hate sweet potatoes but they are soooo nice in korma with veggie burgers chopped up, mmmmmmm

Advertisement