Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Topaz

• 28-07-2009 3:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭

Just wondering how many Topaz are there in Ireland and how many are wholey owned by topaz and how many are just franchised

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Why not ring Topaz and ask them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

Didn't think of that. I just found out, its 110 are company owned out of 350. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

glanman wrote: »
    Just wondering how many Topaz are there in Ireland and how many are wholey owned by topaz and how many are just franchised

Thanks

You must be bored!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

While you're on to them ask them why their prices are so random between each station!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭glanman

I needed to know for work.

I would presume their prices are all over the place because about 240 of them are independent and set the prices themselves??? if you want best petrol/deisel prices go to www.pumps.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

steve06 wrote: »
    While you're on to them ask them why their prices are so random between each station!

Each station is priced against it nearest competition. Myself and OH used to manage 3 Shell sites a few years back.

You are priced on your nearest competitor and not what the entire group is doing. We used to have to drive up and down the main road every morning at 6:30am and write down the prices and then phone them in. 30 minutes later we would get a phone call to tell us what to change our prices to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Berty wrote: »
    Each station is priced against it nearest competition.

Finally some bit of truth. I argued this point with a trainee manager in a sizeable filling station before. He argued that prices were based on the quantity of fuel the retailer bought while my argument was prices were based pretty much on what other filling stations in the same town/ area were charging. Thanks Berty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

glanman wrote: »
    Didn't think of that. I just found out, its 110 are company owned out of 350. Thanks
    steve06 wrote: »

Probably down to Paddy looking out for number one rather than Topaz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Finally some bit of truth. I argued this point with a trainee manager in a sizeable filling station before. He argued that prices were based on the quantity of fuel the retailer bought while my argument was prices were based pretty much on what other filling stations in the same town/ area were charging. Thanks Berty.

Well, if you are a privately owned site then your wholesale price for fuel would be higher than others.

Take Centra for example. They are operated on local level but are part of the Musgrave group so buy things much cheaper as a group but if you are Berty stores on XX street then you buy at a higher margin so the only way for those people to reduce their prices is to increase their orders.

I sell a product at the moment and if you buy 45 I give you 3 free but if you buy 90 I give you 10 free.

There was a certain petrol station owner in Limerick on the Late Late show a few years back trying to argue the same point so Shell dropped his wholesale price. He never dropped his actual retail prices. Nobody likes that site and only those desperate in Limerick or non Limerick people use that site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Berty wrote: »
    There was a certain petrol station owner in Limerick on the Late Late show a few years back trying to argue the same point so Shell dropped his wholesale price. He never dropped his actual retail prices. Nobody likes that site and only those desperate in Limerick or non Limerick people use that site.

Without seing or knowing of the Late Late show program you mention Berty and being a Limerick resident I think I have a fair idea of the filling station in question.

• Advertisement
Advertisement