Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covering a pond

Options
  • 28-07-2009 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

I have 2 small ponds in my garden. One is raised (about 3/4 feet) and is about 6 foot by 8 foot. The second is much smaller, on the ground, probably 3 foot by 1 foot. I also have a little girl who is curious, fearless and just starting to walk and my wife and every female relative I have is wondering when I'm going to sort out those death traps (the ponds)! It was suggested to me to get some sort of toughened perspex or platsic that would cover the ponds, and could be walked on safely. This would reatin the effect of the ponds - water feature etc. and also, it wouldn't involve the massive work of covering the pond in with rubble/soil etc. Equally so, the ponds could be easily brought back to themeslves by taking off the perspex/plastic sheets when the child is older. Whereas taking out all the rubble/stone/aoil, would be days of manual labour.

Does anyone know of such a product that would be strong enough for such a task?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

getfit wrote: »
    I have 2 small ponds in my garden. One is raised (about 3/4 feet) and is about 6 foot by 8 foot. The second is much smaller, on the ground, probably 3 foot by 1 foot. I also have a little girl who is curious, fearless and just starting to walk and my wife and every female relative I have is wondering when I'm going to sort out those death traps (the ponds)! It was suggested to me to get some sort of toughened perspex or platsic that would cover the ponds, and could be walked on safely. This would reatin the effect of the ponds - water feature etc. and also, it wouldn't involve the massive work of covering the pond in with rubble/soil etc. Equally so, the ponds could be easily brought back to themeslves by taking off the perspex/plastic sheets when the child is older. Whereas taking out all the rubble/stone/aoil, would be days of manual labour.

Does anyone know of such a product that would be strong enough for such a task?

Could you not fence them in somehow?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

As degsy said fence it,fencing would probably better than a cover.

You could put in a nice weathered fence using old posts,and you could also plant strong bushes around the fence that grow to three or four feet in height.

I don't like those covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭doubtfir3

getfit wrote: »
    It was suggested to me to get some sort of toughened perspex or platsic that would cover the ponds, and could be walked on safely. This would reatin the effect of the ponds - water feature etc.

I would suggest that you go down the fencing route also.. perspex would look fine for a few days, and then walking on it, running across it etc will scratch and discolour it and you would quickly find yourself looking at a scuffed surface through which you would find it difficult to even see through.

And.. of course, you would also have to consider the issues of aerating the pond and cleaning it.. or even (if you have them) removing a dead fish etc..

Go with the fence.. its much easier! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Children like to climb and explore and a fence + shrubbery would be too risky. Why not drain the pond and make a small sand/play pit which at a later date can be quite easily reversed?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Children like to climb and explore and a fence + shrubbery would be too risky. Why not drain the pond and make a small sand/play pit which at a later date can be quite easily reversed?
    a nice gorse or rose would solve that :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement