Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on Charities

• 28-07-2009 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

There are so many charities out there and individuals support them every month with a few euro. Corporations select a charity and or two every year and support them by holding quiz nights, fun days, etc.

How do people get involved in charity. What are the reasons. Are they involved for personal reasons, because they are local or what.

So I am curious. I would like to know what your favourite or designated charity is and why?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭anti chris-t

everyone who tries to get you to sign up for these charities via direct debit are paid to do so. The ones that call to your house are generally run by a company called cobra. Theres link to a forum of ex workers talking about their experience.
    http://www.scam.com/showthread.php?t=19558

The 'chuggers' on the street are also paid hence the reason they are so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Charity begins at Home

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krooney

everyone who tries to get you to sign up for these charities via direct debit are paid to do so. The ones that call to your house are generally run by a company called cobra. Theres link to a forum of ex workers talking about their experience.

The 'chuggers' on the street are also paid hence the reason they are so annoying

Interesting Forum! I will read into it more lately!

But What about Genuine Charities such as Concern,etc. They are worthy! I wouldnt be a big fan either of Direct Debit. Id be more give it when I have it!

Also I love participating in fundraising, Like running for them.

But I think Really good charities are not ones that ask u for money but that encourage you to do something to raise money, example would be Host a big Picnic for BArretstown or the Centra BBQ

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Charity begins at Home

Very True! I know a 5year old Child who had a BBQ for his bday and asked for money not presents and gave it to charity! He is 5, so that will stay wwih him for life and hopefully pass onto his kids, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

i'll generally just give to beggars on the street (after scoping them to determine the scale of their destitution). i'd never give to any of the big charities because i don't see why most of my 'charity' money should go on administration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Yeah I'd never donate directly to any charity but I'd be more than happy to help out organizations such as Barretstown

They have a forum here btw

They have a forum here btw

Hey thats interesting! Ta.

Ye i'm all for helping out! I wouldnt sign up for direct debit or anything! But I would do an event for a charity! Like a run or a quiz ya know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

krooney wrote: »
    Also I love participating in fundraising, Like running for them.

But I think Really good charities are not ones that ask u for money but that encourage you to do something to raise money, example would be Host a big Picnic for BArretstown or the Centra BBQ
    You realise that the good causes that charities are meant to help would do better if people just gave them the money, as opposed to spending most of it on flying someone to Cuba for a trek?

Sorry, but if I want to give money to a charity I will, I won't make them do a monkey-dance for me first.

wudangclan wrote: »
    i'll generally just give to beggars on the street (after scoping them to determine the scale of their destitution). i'd never give to any of the big charities because i don't see why most of my 'charity' money should go on administration.

I dunno! To be honest Ive heard so many stories of people beggin in Towns and going to the bank that evening and lodging hundreds but i cant see that happening! Like I feel sorry for them but I am weary of giving to them. I hate the guys sitting under the ATMS though! that drives me mad, so invasive.

You'd be surprised on how some charities use maybe 50% of doantions for Admin, Some only 10% and some 70%! like some people are greedy but They have to earn money too!

But I like your point,

Thanks

You realise that the good causes that charities are meant to help would do better if people just gave them the money, as opposed to spending most of it on flying someone to Cuba for a trek?

Sorry, but if I want to give money to a charity I will, I won't make them do a monkey-dance for me first.

Yes I must say I know exactly what u mean! Get rid of people in funraising offices, Dublin Marathon for example, Id say some planning goes int that, like planning and money and the money would be better served just going directly to charity than on advertising for it.

I get ya, but at the same time I feel people need a push. Like lets say u go to the pub for a pint ok or something with no intention of giving to charity and Joe bloggs is getting his head shaved for Charity and a bucket comes around and everyone throws in €2. Like they have just pushed someone to throw in change for a good cause even though they were just going for a pint

• Advertisement

And another thing is I 100% agree with you about treks! Like i dont understand exactly how they are beneficial! But I do think the ones were people raise their own money and go over and build a house for someone in a poor country. They are good, but the treks I dont think so.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Katarn1

*hangs head in shame*

I was a chugger for a well known charity, I did the job for around 6 months.

Started off because i did genuinely believe in the work they did, as did roughly half the people on the team. The other half openly said they did it for the 17 euro an hour.

I now feel that on-street fundraising was a ridiculous waste of money. We would try and calculate exactly how long the people who signed up would need to be members in order to even pay our salaries, let alone start contributing to the work of the organisation, it was disheartening. This was rationalised by the organisation by saying that even us being visible in public was a form of advertisment - in my view not a good one.

But OT - the reason I got involved was their work on Lesbian/Gay rights. And for all the faults of the organisation, they did do great work in this area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

What gay rights organisation does chugging?

I normally get Africa, cancer or AIDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

is the Africa curable at least?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Theres link to a forum of ex workers talking about their experience.
    Holy sh|t, that's disheartening!
    wudangclan wrote: »
    Any money you give to the homeless will be spent on drink or drugs. They're sleeping rough for a reason: 95% of the places that house the homeless do not allow them to drink there.

What gay rights organisation does chugging?

I wouldn't want to risk any negative image on the charity so I'll send a PM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

There are so many charities out there and individuals support them every month with a few euro. Corporations select a charity and or two every year and support them by holding quiz nights, fun days, etc.

How do people get involved in charity. What are the reasons. Are they involved for personal reasons, because they are local or what.

So I am curious. I would like to know what your favourite or designated charity is and why?

How/Reasons: Most volenteer becuase of personel reasons, usually a family member is helped by the charity eg crumlin/temple street childrens hospital. My charities are: Enable Ireland/Temple street/ Brainwave-epilipsey/Asthma/Mental health, all for reasons that they have helped or are helping my family.

Paid: Most are volenteers. All my charity work is on a no fee basis! :D Like alan sugar i donate my time!

Reward: Doing good for fellow man, on boards this is a novelty in afterhours! But i do! and yes i hope i am rewarded with 30 blessed virgins :D

ps: I have always had desperate trouble why Irish people do not support there home charties before international. Granted we are generous but we send more aid over sees than we do keep at home and as many economists have proved aid given at home would have a far greater ecomnomic impact.

Katarn1 wrote: »

But OT - the reason I got involved was their work on Lesbian/Gay rights. And for all the faults of the organisation, they did do great work in this area.

Ye I did that at traffic lights and in shopping centres for concern, years and years ago for free like! What concern do, i think, is target schools for voluntary work! SO they go around the country getting schols to shake buckets for them! A great idea though.

Now excuse my ignorance but what would fundraising for Gay/Lesbian rights do? Would it fund their campaign for equality. Again excuse my ignorance

the_syco wrote: »

Any money you give to the homeless will be spent on drink or drugs. They're sleeping rough for a reason: 95% of the places that house the homeless do not allow them to drink there.

Its very likely this is true but at least its the thought that counts! U are doing ur part and they are wasting it unfortunately.

But some look genuine

All my charity work is on a no fee basis!

ps: I have always had desperate trouble why Irish people do not support there home charties before international. Granted we are generous but we send more aid over sees than we do keep at home and as many economists have proved aid given at home would have a far greater ecomnomic impact.

Ye its true not just the Irish people, the irish government! The thing that drives me more crazy than anything else is the way they promote themselves to other countries saying they help abroad when they dont help as much at home! Like come on 42% higher tax and the dole is €200 a week. Terrible

But yes what drives me crazy is that people are remortgaging there homes, homeless people on the street, Places like Crumlin hospital who have shut down an entire wing because of fundng and yet its ok that there arent enough beds because the Irish Government have given 10,000 so called refugees a nice four bed house, Medical expenses, childrens school books.

Go figure! I just think there are way more deserving charities out there. ANd I think people need to do something to help Crumlin hospital

• Advertisement

Now excuse my ignorance but what would fundraising for Gay/Lesbian rights do? Would it fund their campaign for equality. Again excuse my ignorance

No ignorance there, I didn't have an iota until I worked in the place.

The organisation is actually involved in a huge range of human rights issues. It was just that it was their work on gay/lesbian rights that appealed to me.

The money is essential for something like gay/lesbian rights. We had the money to do up fliers, banners, website and books. If any of these look shoddy or cheap AFAIK people are less likely to pay attention, so its worth the little bit extra. Furthermore, the organisation had the money to do professional research in order to make submissions to the Government.

So while a person who was donating couldn't dictate which group the money went to, and I cant give a break down as to percentages for admin/resources, I can say that money was spent on things that helped raise awareness and further the aims of the organisation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

The only charity I support myself is Barretstown.
    When I was a kiddlet I had stomach cancer and was ill for fair bit of time because of it, spent far too long in hospital and somewhere like Barretstown would have made life a whole lot easier.

Katarn1 wrote: »
    No ignorance there, I didn't have an iota until I worked in the place.

The organisation is actually involved in a huge range of human rights issues. It was just that it was their work on gay/lesbian rights that appealed to me.

The money is essential for something like gay/lesbian rights. We had the money to do up fliers, banners, website and books. If any of these look shoddy or cheap AFAIK people are less likely to pay attention, so its worth the little bit extra. Furthermore, the organisation had the money to do professional research in order to make submissions to the Government.

So while a person who was donating couldn't dictate which group the money went to, and I cant give a break down as to percentages for admin/resources, I can say that money was spent on things that helped raise awareness and further the aims of the organisation.

Alright I understand, cheers!

Images is extremely important. Trying to portray a professional image is important!

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I support cancer-related charities such as my (former) local hospice (Isn't it disgraceful that this service has to be provided by a charity and not the government? Anyway that's another thread). Also support a small charity involved in a particular country in Africa. I know the organisers and they do great work.

I support cancer-related charities such as my (former) local hospice (Isn't it disgraceful that this service has to be provided by a charity and not the government? Anyway that's another thread). Also support a small charity involved in a particular country in Africa. I know the organisers and they do great work.

I know its a disgrace! The charity Im involved with gets no money off the government and have to raise all their own money every year. Nealry €5mil a year through fundraising and corporate sponsorship! Its crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have never been a main organiser but my understanding is if a charity is registered it has a right to apply for various funding grants. These include the national lottery wtc. If a charity is relying on donations its becuase it has not applied in time or there is a charity covering this area

Can anyone confirm this? This of course exludes the "Collect 20 mobile phones for an incubator" type charties.

I have never been a main organiser but my understanding is if a charity is registered it has a right to apply for various funding grants. These include the national lottery wtc. If a charity is relying on donations its becuase it has not applied in time or there is a charity covering this area

Can anyone confirm this? This of course exludes the "Collect 20 mobile phones for an incubator" type charties.

Not sure but I do know that the government are tight at the moment! even getting corporate sponsorship is tough! two years ago u ask a corporation for sponsorship and they write u a blank cheque! Now u have to squeeze them, not all of them but most

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

I support the Irish Blue Cross which is an animal charity. It is a very good cause and they do excellent work. I have volunteered with them in the past and I am proud to support their work.

angel01 wrote: »
    I support the Irish Blue Cross which is an animal charity. It is a very good cause and they do excellent work. I have volunteered with them in the past and I am proud to support their work.

Another Great Cause!

Volunteered at the DSPCA a for a half day a few years ago! They have loads and loads of volunteers. Its unreal if you want to be a dog walker for the day you had to put your name down three or four weeks in advance.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I help out with the Christ The Healer Project (I won't link it because I don't want to be accused of advertising, but I'm sure google would bring up something).

It's a charity my uncle set up after meeting a Priest from South Africa, who was telling his about the harsh reality in the area - so my uncle went over (which really, really affected him) and I've helped him since...

I wouldn't do any of that going up to strangers in the street (there's two in Brum who chase [seriously!] down the street outside the bullring screaming "a quid for the kids!") but I've done little things like man the stalls at the paddys parade/summer fayres and the like.

But I think, yeah, people are more likely to get involved with charity due to personal experience - I'd have no hesitation helping out MacMillan (sp?) since my nan died, because they were excellent, a great help.

Advertisement