Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, Please! New Gun & Poor FPS Rating Problems

Options
  • 28-07-2009 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I recently bought a JG SPETZ Krinkiov AK from a retailer who advertised the fps at 300 or about 0.9J. I skirmished with it and had it chrono'ed before I began and the rating was around 0.59J or 193fps with 0.2g pellets and a fully charged battery.

Is it usual to have the gun at such a low power despite what the shop says or is there a problem and I should return it to the shop? What is the problem being caused by and how would I go about fixing this problem? I can feel that it doesn't really have enough power and I really want to start playing woodland games and it just about scrapes by in CQB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rossism

return it to the shop.
    if its shooting that low theres a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

if its brought from Ireland then your still covered by warranty i would take it back before doing anything yourself and voiding any cover you have

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ZeroSignal

Okay, thanks for the quick replies, gentlemen. I've tried to get in contact with them by email for the past week but they're not answering their "services and upgrades" address so I'm just after trying the "general inquiries" address and hopefully they'll get back to me. If they don't get back to me by tomorrow I'll have to call them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Have you checked your hopup setting? Do the BB's fly upwards when you shoot it?

It may be just on all the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ZeroSignal wrote: »
    Okay, thanks for the quick replies, gentlemen. I've tried to get in contact with them by email for the past week but they're not answering their "services and upgrades" address so I'm just after trying the "general inquiries" address and hopefully they'll get back to me. If they don't get back to me by tomorrow I'll have to call them.

lol

here is a review on mia's site

JG SPETZ KRINKOV
    Jack - Dublin (Wednesday, July 22, 2009)

Firstly, I also had the same problem as the previous reviewer in that the Fire Selector Switch came loose very easily. Fixing this problem is very easily done by popping off the cover of the selector hub and tightening the screw underneath. I wouldn't consider this an issue as it seems to fall under general maintenance. What IS a problem, though is the stock develops a bit of a wobble very easily although it's a very minor issue in the grand scheme of things. It's still a nuisance.

It fires accurately but unfortunately mine was only clocked at 0.6J which is a little frustrating for me as I now have to purchase a new spring.

What I do like about this gun is the overall build quality and the feel of balance from it as it sits well in the hands. It is also very cheap considering the amount of metal in the gun. It would probably make a very good candidate for a tweaker or upgrade gun as it is compatible with most Tokyo Marui parts (apparently). I personally plan on doing several upgrades including an RIS frame on the top with a red dot sight.

All in all a solid airsoft gun and I would recommend it to a beginner

• Advertisement

Dr_Pepper wrote: »
    Have you checked your hopup setting? Do the BB's fly upwards when you shoot it?

It may be just on all the way.

I adjusted the hop-up and I've seen it do what you've described and it wasn't doing that during the game directly after chronographing it.

Thanks all the same.
    Tigger wrote: »
    lol

do they ever get good press

I assume you know who I'm talking about then. I didn't want to mention them by name. :D

I found them helpful on the phone and in person but the fact that it's almost like they're avoiding my emails as soon as I have a problem does not fill me with joy... :confused:
    Tigger wrote: »
    lol

here is a review on mia's site

That was me! :D

EDIT: Also, I noticed they deleted a bad review that someone else left about that gun to do with the fire selector... Hmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

hmm indeedy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

If they don't sort you out, try one of the IAA affiliated shops, they will fix the aeg to a high standard and it won't cost much.

Its better to start as you intend to go on, and building a relationship with a trust worthy retailer is the first thing to do. The long term benefits will make the initial repair fee well worth it.

Thats not to say the original crowd shouldn't fix it up for you, it was after all a product, not performing as advertised, but you may end up pulling your hair out.

Quick question: would I be right in dividing 328 by 100 and multiplying it by 59 to get the FPS of 0.59J?

Or is this calculator more accurate in your opinions? http://www.cimmerians.org/FPS_Converter.html?action=fps
    If they don't sort you out, try one of the IAA affiliated shops, they will fix the aeg to a high standard and it won't cost much.

Its better to start as you intend to go on, and building a relationship with a trust worthy retailer is the first thing to do. The long term benefits will make the initial repair fee well worth it.

Thats not to say the original crowd shouldn't fix it up for you, it was after all a product, not performing as advertised, but you may end up pulling your hair out.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I've decided that if they don't get back to me by Saturday of their own volition I'm just going to go to Airsoft Tactical Supplies in Ballymount to get them to fix the gun for me as they are quite close by. Are they more trustworthy?

I'm not familiar with them myself, the IAA website has a list of affiliates, if they are on there, they are fine. They may be fine and not on the list, but I can't say for certain without prior experience, try reading the experiences with retailers thread, do a search for ATS on the forum also.

• Advertisement

Well, they got back to me. This is the e-mail I received from them. Does it make sense to anyone or am I just getting blown off here?

"
    hi
    the jg krinkov is down graded at the factory before we get them i hav tested a few of them and they are all around the .7 to max .8 joule

the only thing i could suggest is to let the spring tension up and the power should come up they come with non pretensioned springs hich are soft untill they get some use and harden then the power comes up .
    failing that the only other thing is to fit a new spring to upgrade it ."

It still doesn't explain why it says 300fps on their website when 0.8J won't get you that high...
    I'm not familiar with them myself, the IAA website has a list of affiliates, if they are on there, they are fine. They may be fine and not on the list, but I can't say for certain without prior experience, try reading the experiences with retailers thread, do a search for ATS on the forum also.

Yeah, I found them from the IAA website so they must be okay.

EDIT: I called ATS just now and they say they charge €50 just for opening the gear-box. :(

not really going to comment on that reply, i would advice that you might want to contact someone like eirsoft

That sounds like BS to me, un-pretensioned spring?

You may want to inspect the gun yourself, dont open up the gearbox though, but you can remove it easily enough, check if the air nozzle was drilled through, it could be how it was downgraded. Bar that, get a new spring.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Well, they got back to me. This is the e-mail I received from them. Does it make sense to anyone or am I just getting blown off here?

"
    hi
    the jg krinkov is down graded at the factory before we get them i hav tested a few of them and they are all around the .7 to max .8 joule

the only thing i could suggest is to let the spring tension up and the power should come up they come with non pretensioned springs hich are soft untill they get some use and harden then the power comes up .

It still doesn't explain why it says 300fps on their website when 0.8J won't get you that high...

Yeah, I found them from the IAA website so they must be okay.

EDIT: I called ATS just now and they say they charge €50 just for opening the gear-box. :(

Fella if you believe that , i've got a lightly used bridge i could sell you ;)

Or prehaps the all new "magic beans 4000" - I'll do you a good deal

Puding wrote: »
    not really going to comment on that reply, i would advice that you might want to contact someone like eirsoft

Why? What would they be able to offer me? I can't claim warranty on a product I didn't buy from them, so unless they don't charge €50 to open up the gearbox and fix it then I'm not sure what good it will do... :(
    That sounds like BS to me, un-pretensioned spring?

You may want to inspect the gun yourself, dont open up the gearbox though, but you can remove it easily enough, check if the air nozzle was drilled through, it could be how it was downgraded. Bar that, get a new spring.

I'd rather not open up the AEG myself as I don't want to accidentally damage/lose any component parts. I'd rather pay an expert to do an expert job. Do you have to open up the gearbox to install a new spring?
    horgan_p wrote: »
    Fella if you believe that , i've got a lightly used bridge i could sell you ;)

Or prehaps the all new "magic beans 4000" - I'll do you a good deal

Easy tiger. I'm new to this sport and I know very little about airsoft devices and how they function. Do you have anything to add that can help me?

I'm obviously in a bit of trouble here as I don't expect that MIA will go quietly if you know what I mean...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Bring it back and demand they fix it as it is broken.
    Its advertised as 300fps which it isnt doing.
    Thats faulty.

If they give you jip demand a refund for a clearly faulty product.

If you bought a car that was supposed to be able to do 120 kmph and you were stuck on the m50 at 60 kmph would you accept that?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Ok my first piece of advice , dont open the AEG .

My second piece of advice would be to return to the retailer with the AEG - physically if you can , not sent by post or courier.Print out the item description from the website of the aeg you ordered.

Get the retailer to chrono it in front of you - i believe they have a super duper chrono , so it'll be 110% accurate.

From there , i dont think there will be any dispute at all.

i hav tested a few of them and they are all around the .7 to max .8 joule

tbh all aegs should be tested before being sent out not just a few, i would imagine if this had been tested the low fps would have been picked up at source

as the web site advertises 'Energy: .86 Joule' know i can accept a small difference x/- but your out put could indicate a poor downgrade or airseal issue

the comments you have got in your reply on the spring is just jargon and unclear, a spring left compressed can result in a loss of fps not an increase ( this is why its best to fire a few shots in semi before you store your aeg to insure the spring is uncompressed) , so the reply 'let the spring tension up' in my eyes would be counter productive and pointless

all i can suggest is to return the item as it is not as advertised?

A spring can be compressed for months, and once used a few times will return to its original strength, literally months.

Spring metal has a plasticity and elasticity modulus, the plasticity modulus has to be exceeded before the spring will permanently deform, which under normal use it never will, it will remain elastic.

Breaking a spring in will reduce the strength of the spring, as some of the more rigid bonds at a molecular level are broken, leaving only the elastic bonds.

AKA, pre tensioned this that or the other is pure waffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Why? What would they be able to offer me? I can't claim warranty on a product I didn't buy from them, so unless they don't charge €50 to open up the gearbox and fix it then I'm not sure what good it will do... :(

If you don't have any joy with them, bring the gun to us and we'll throw in a spring, or partly seal the hole that was made to downgrade it, whichever is necessary. If it needs a spring replacement, we'll just charge you for the spring - €15. If the leak needs partly closing, we'll do it for free.

Unlike my polite colleague in Cork, I have absolutely no problem in commenting on their email to you :)
    That "untensioned spring" rigmarole is absolute bull****. Its right up there with the Doppler Effect causing dodgy chronograph readings, and fairies at the end of your garden.

Having said all that, you are 100% in your rights in demanding they solve the problem, either by replacing/repairing the gun, or refunding you, so if it was me, I'd pursue that angle first, if only out of pure stubbornness ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

"
    hi

Just out of morbid curiosity, is that a direct copy/paste of their email to you or did you retype it?

Shiva wrote: »
    If you don't have any joy with them, bring the gun to us and we'll throw in a spring, or partly seal the hole that was made to downgrade it, whichever is necessary. If it needs a spring replacement, we'll just charge you for the spring - €15. If the leak needs partly closing, we'll do it for free.

Unlike my polite colleague in Cork, I have absolutely no problem in commenting on their email to you :)
    That "untensioned spring" rigmarole is absolute bull****. Its right up there with the Doppler Effect causing dodgy chronograph readings, and fairies at the end of your garden.

Having said all that, you are 100% in your rights in demanding they solve the problem, either by replacing/repairing the gun, or refunding you, so if it was me, I'd pursue that angle first, if only out of pure stubbornness ;)

You know what... I think there is no point shouting at MIA staff. It's too much stress and time consuming to drive all the way up to Blanchardstown. I'm done with MIA and their alienating attitude.

I think I shall take you up on your offer, good sir! Should all go to plan you can consider me a customer in the future! :D Can I drop it down to you this Saturday?
    NakedDex wrote: »
    Just out of morbid curiosity, is that a direct copy/paste of their email to you or did you retype it?

That's what I received! The only difference was I edited the chap's name out at the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Apart from the ridiculous reason they gave, which was perfectly (and eloquently) debunked by Stercus, there's a serious lack of professionalism shown in the grammar and spelling used in that email. There isn't a single capital letter in the whole thing to begin with.
    I genuinely find that mind blowing. It might not be something that's going to directly affect whether you get service from them, but I find it very, very unprofessional of them for not even taking the time to word and script the reply correctly.

NakedDex wrote: »
    Apart from the ridiculous reason they gave, which was perfectly (and eloquently) debunked by Stercus, there's a serious lack of professionalism shown in the grammar and spelling used in that email. There isn't a single capital letter in the whole thing to begin with.
    I genuinely find that mind blowing. It might not be something that's going to directly affect whether you get service from them, but I find it very, very unprofessional of them for not even taking the time to word and script the reply correctly.

I also thought that, but I didn't really think that much of it at the time as it unfortunately seems to be the standard fare nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Rob2593

Just to clarify, this is MIA were talking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭hitman_

Rob2593 wrote: »

Natch. Any other retailer and the thread would have been locked before now :D:D:D

Rob2593 wrote: »

The very same...
    hitman_ wrote: »
    Natch. Any other retailer and the thread would have been locked before now :D:D:D

:confused:

Care to explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭hitman_

The very same...

:confused:

Care to explain?

First, I have no connection with MIA. I buy from whoever has stock and gives the best price etc.
    The attacks on MIA in this thread seem to me to be at variance with boards.ie charter change statements here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055609715

Specifically:
    "We wont allow any form of complaining or inflammatory remarks about ANY retailer as you should take it up in person with the organisation not on boards.ie."

Fair play, that's all.
    The guy has a business to run and people to pay.
    Just bring the gun back and I'm sure they will sort you out.
    I have has nothing but good experience with both MIA and Eirsoft.

First, I have no connection with MIA. I buy from whoever has stock and gives the best price etc.
    The attacks on MIA in this thread seem to me to be at variance with boards.ie charter change statements here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055609715

Specifically:
    "We wont allow any form of complaining or inflammatory remarks about ANY retailer as you should take it up in person with the organisation not on boards.ie."

Fair play, that's all.

maybe best to just report the thread then, i tried to stay away from the mia angle and just address the miss information this new airsoft has received and inform them on the right for either a repair or a replacement

• Advertisement

hitman_ wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055609715

Specifically:

Fair play, that's all.

No inflammatory remarks were made and I can assure you I am not one for hyperbole.

This thread is about getting my Airsoft gun fixed. I bought a gun, asked for help from you and the retailer. Retailer put up resistance to carrying out their obligations and I posted it in the thread because I believe it is relevant to me eventually fixing the problem. Hopefully with Shiva's help I will have it fixed and this saga can end.
    Puding wrote: »
    maybe best to just report the thread then, i tried to stay away from the mia angle and just address the miss information this new airsoft has received and inform them on the right for either a repair or a replacement

That is the main issue for me. I was led to believe that the Airsoft device I was buying was firing at a certain velocity and found that this was not so.

I would be finished with this thread if they accepted all liability as they are supposed to but instead I got more misinformation.

Advertisement