Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, Please! New Gun & Poor FPS Rating Problems

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭hitman_

No offense intended to anyone. Best of luck and I hope you get sorted out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

My god,
    this is the first I've seen of this thread. If thats exactly what they have told you is the reasoning behind the low power then they are most certainly blowing smoke up your hole. From a technical point of view, that has to be the most impossible and insulting excuse i've seen yet,

50 quid to open a gearbox is a little excessive too, the average is usually in the 25-30 depending on the gun and difficulty of the job.
    I'd ring them up if i was you and explain the situation, dont be fobbed off with technical jargon about spring tension or whatever. There is no way your gun is performing as its supposed to and a spring will not find power magically.
    If ya dont get anywhere with that then take tony up on his offer. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ZeroSignal

Masada wrote: »
    My god,
    this is the first I've seen of this thread. If thats exactly what they have told you is the reasoning behind the low power then they are most certainly blowing smoke up your hole. From a technical point of view, that has to be the most impossible and insulting excuse i've seen yet,

50 quid to open a gearbox is a little excessive too, the average is usually in the 25-30 depending on the gun and difficulty of the job.
    I'd ring them up if i was you and explain the situation, dont be fobbed off with technical jargon about spring tension or whatever. There is no way your gun is performing as its supposed to and a spring will not find power magically.
    If ya dont get anywhere with that then take tony up on his offer. :)

Yeah, that response didn't really sit well with me.

So how much would I normally be looking at for installing a replacement spring?

On average a gun overhaul would be about 25-30 i would imagine. the Beta is one of the easier ones so 25 would be a good guess. then you'd be talking the price of a spring which would be 10-15 quid id say.
    I would wonder if your gun actually needs a spring though, its quite unusual to have a spring as low a power as you have described. in most cases of low power like you describe, the cause is often a bad leak even a hole drilled in the cylinder.

Id take tony up on the offer if ya dont get anywhere with them though,
    its unlikely to cost you anything and even at the most it would be 15 quid. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Shiva

Id take tony up on the offer if ya dont get anywhere with them though,
    its unlikely to cost you anything and even at the most it would be 15 quid. :)

And if you bring cookies, it'd probably be less.

Nice cookies mind....none of that cheap own brand tat :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ZeroSignal wrote: »
    Easy tiger. I'm new to this sport and I know very little about airsoft devices and how they function. Do you have anything to add that can help me?

he's only trying to answer yer question with humor rather than saying some thing nasty about whoever wrote that mail

I'm obviously in a bit of trouble here as I don't expect that MIA will go quietly if you know what I mean...

this is the airsoft community yer not in trouble yer in the right place

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

hitman_ wrote: »
    The attacks on MIA in this thread

he said the spring would get stiffer with use!!!
    ,i knew it was mia straight away practically anyone else would have sorted it

no attacks

So, dropped down to Eirsoft to hand over the gun for Tony and the lads to work on. I got loads of information and great service. Can't wait to see what they can do with it.

My only complaint was that it took me ages of driving around to find them! :D

Thanks again, guys!

Hiya man

As it turned out, your cylinder had be reversed so that the vent was right up at the front. this meant you had only about 5-10mm of compression since the air could get out the vent until the piston passed it. It was rebuilt and chrono'd at 312fps this morning. :)

your spring was the run of the mil type in most clone guns and as expected, there was no such pretensioning or compression diggery wotsits going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

As it turned out, your cylinder had be reversed so that the vent was right up at the front.

have not seen that one before:eek:, poor quality control or downgrade

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 tmason

mine had a 3 wholes, two in a cilinder and one in a nozzle, i just covered one of them and now I have .82-.9J which is OK, apparently that's how they often downgrade AEG as it's rather permanent and to avoid hassle with springs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

mine had a 3 wholes, two in a cilinder and one in a nozzle, i just covered one of them and now I have .82-.9J which is OK, apparently that's how they often downgrade AEG as it's rather permanent and to avoid hassle with springs

how is it permanent ? you covered some of them over and the fps goes back up, you can do it with tape or blue tac if you really want to,

drilling holes in the cylinder or novel is just lazy and unprofessional, also it turns your shot to shot consistency to hell

by permanent, i meant it's unchangeable - so you need to replace your cylinder, covering it with a tape is just temporary fix and lasts until the tape last. and i obviously agree it's lazy and unprofessional approach :( beside all those tiny metal chips land inside a cylinder damaging piston after awhile...I will visit a retailer on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

tmason wrote: »
    by permanent, i meant it's unchangeable - so you need to replace your cylinder, covering it with a tape is just temporary fix and lasts until the tape last. and i obviously agree it's lazy and unprofessional approach :( beside all those tiny metal chips land inside a cylinder damaging piston after awhile...I will visit a retailer on Monday

You can flip the cylinder if its not ported, fill the hole with quicksteel or chem metal, you can get a patch thing that adheres to most surfaces that can all be done to undo the "downgrade" so it is in no way permanent.

Besides all that, having a gearbox pull a 400fps spring when it only needs to pull a 300 is going to cut the life of the insides of your gun short unecessarily.

well true, you can do all this but you shouldn't have to do it in a first place...

Hiya man

As it turned out, your cylinder had be reversed so that the vent was right up at the front. this meant you had only about 5-10mm of compression since the air could get out the vent until the piston passed it. It was rebuilt and chrono'd at 312fps this morning. :)

your spring was the run of the mil type in most clone guns and as expected, there was no such pretensioning or compression diggery wotsits going on.

Thanks very much guys! I really appreciate all the help you've given me.

The gun is much quieter now, too. It has a nice snap and the gearbox is very quiet. I can't wait to get a silencer on this thing!

Thanks again, guys!

But the problem is that most guns nowadays, with the obvious exception of TM gear, are firing at about 350fps out of the box at least, and that includes clones and high ends. If retailers were to pay for spring changes in every gun they import, you'd see the cost of guns skyrocketing. Its all well and good getting an Asian supplier to downgrade a few guns on small orders, but when you're taking in 300 or 400 guns per order, its just not feasible to downgrade springs. Even if the retailer could afford to swallow the extra costs, the time it would take would rule it out - its hard enough getting stock as it is sometimes. Bleeding out air is the only cost effective way. If its done properly its quick, effective and relatively inconsequential.

I tried making the point with one of my suppliers than since I import so much, perhaps its in their interest to run off batches with MS90 springs to keep my custom, and I was politely told that no matter how big we in Ireland think our airsoft industry is, we barely register as a blip on the radar of airsoft as a whole. A humbling conversation, so it was :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Dont want to go too OT, but aren't there alot of countries and sites in others countries that have the 1J limit like us, for AEGs at least. I was looking at the WGC site when the VFC SCAR SPR came out and it was rated at 420fps, about a month later they have 1J versions in as well. So there must be some value of running batches off rated at 1J.

Yeah, thats true, especially of high ends. But the main markets are the US and Asia, and they dont have a 1 joule limit. Even outside those two areas, 1j limits are in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ricka

Shiva wrote: »
    But the problem is that most guns nowadays, with the obvious exception of TM gear, are firing at about 350fps out of the box at least, and that includes clones and high ends. If retailers were to pay for spring changes in every gun they import, you'd see the cost of guns skyrocketing. Its all well and good getting an Asian supplier to downgrade a few guns on small orders, but when you're taking in 300 or 400 guns per order, its just not feasible to downgrade springs. Even if the retailer could afford to swallow the extra costs, the time it would take would rule it out - its hard enough getting stock as it is sometimes. Bleeding out air is the only cost effective way. If its done properly its quick, effective and relatively inconsequential.

I tried making the point with one of my suppliers than since I import so much, perhaps its in their interest to run off batches with MS90 springs to keep my custom, and I was politely told that no matter how big we in Ireland think our airsoft industry is, we barely register as a blip on the radar of airsoft as a whole. A humbling conversation, so it was :)
    People who know me would say:Well you would agree wouldn't you..
    and i do very strongly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭ricka

Just to add to the previous post i had a similar conversation with my supplier at IWA this year.They agreed to downgrade all the AEG's being sent to Ireland.Everything was great till they mentioned volumes,where it was put to me my first container would arrive with five AEG's mixed and would cost $115,000.
    Do the maths-thats just 5 AEG's!
    After more discussion about susequent containers, I interupted and explained where Ireland was and its population! The conversation continued with how many pallets i would like to order and no mention of downgrading.
    Whats smaller than a blip?

Shiva wrote: »

that's good point, but if they want to take shorter and easier path they should at least check the guns after drilling each hole, not drilling three to find out that it's chronoed at .5 or .6J
    rules are strict enough i think

that's good point, but if they want to take shorter and easier path they should at least check the guns after drilling each hole, not drilling three to find out that it's chronoed at .5 or .6J
    rules are strict enough i think

I agree completely. I didnt mean to implying doing a crappy job of making the hole is acceptable - its definitely not.

Okay, I played my first skirmish with my newly repaired gun in Oakridge Airsoft. My gun was very accurate and powerful. The only problem is that after 2hrs of use the gun started making weird sounds. I don't think the performance was noticeably affected but I think the gears in it are dead.

I twice tried ringing Eirsoft half an hour ago but got no answer. How long would it take to have the gears replaced (if that is the problem) and how much would it cost me?

This gun has been nothing but trouble since I got it. I had a problem with the battery nuking itself and a fuse blowing that I managed to fix myself by rigging a modified 30A blade car fuse.

I have a new problem, though. If I go from Safety to Semi-Auto and back to Full Auto the gun fires only one shot and the trigger clicks once whenever it's pulled afterwards. It's strange because the gun still fires normally when going from Safety to Full Auto but not from Semi to Full Auto.

I dismantled the gun and had a look at the selector parts. None of them are broken or misaligned (although the gear on the same side as the selector plate sticks when it goes to the far to the right, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not). I didn't open the mechbox as I didn't have the necessary tools but I'll get them soon enough.

Can anyone recommend any possible causes and any fixes I can attempt myself? I don't think I'll be bringing it to anyone to fix...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thats a pretty common one with the Beta Spetz, its caused by the flexibility of the selector plate and the wobble between the selector parts. :)

thats a pretty common one with the Beta Spetz, its caused by the flexibility of the selector plate and the wobble between the selector parts. :)

Thanks. So I should replace the selector plate and what else?

I did notice some vertical play on the gear in the selector system that is screwed in (unfortunately I don't know the technical term for many of the parts yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭mcshape

On this topic guys picked up a new M14 Socom from a retailer yesterday and its shooting at 250fps constantly with the Hop off, Would i be looked at like i have 2 heads bringing it back to be sorted? I would have thought 300fps at a minimum for a brand new 1J Downgraded gun?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

What brand is it? If It's TM it wouldn't be too far off the mark as their M14 usually weighs in around the 270fps mark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭mcshape

Cybergun

NakedDex wrote: »
    What brand is it? If It's TM it wouldn't be too far off the mark as their M14 usually weighs in around the 270fps mark.

Advertisement