Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Govt to gift Spike Island to Cork Council

Options
  • 28-07-2009 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Heard this on the news today.

Apparently the council is seeking potential names and
    ideas for attractions on the island and its to be made into
    some sort of a tourist attraction like Alcatraz in San Fran.

For names I suggest:

Langer-traz
    Alco-traz

Attractions:

I'm a langer, get me outta here......first contestant.....Prenderville!

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

why change it? why not leave it called spike island? its a great name anyway in fairness...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

I agree, Spike Island is a great name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

pretty intimidating name tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

I wouldn't like them to rename it. It's got a name already so what's the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Shouldn't it be FORT MITCHELL - as that was the name given to the island when handed back to Irish Government last century (hope I got the facts right there).

As an adoptive local, I don't like the name Spike Island, it doesn't sound attractive to tourists. Where as the word "fort" makes it sound like what it is - a historical site to view. (Like Charles Fort in Kinsale). I'm thrilled it's going to be a tourist attraction - the island is across the harbour from my house - and I'll be able to say I'm looking at ........... heritage site vs. I'm looking at a prison! It will really help the inner harbour, tourism, jobs and do we need something good to happen when all we read about is slashing/snipping/cutbacks.

Huge congratulations to all those who made this possible - I'm talking local people, councillors, historians and tour guides vs. the higher arc of politicians who will no doubt claim all the praise.

Well done all. J

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

mawk wrote: »
    pretty intimidating name tbh

"alcatraz" is pretty intimidating isnt it? never done that place any harm...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

There isn't a hope of Spike being developed as a tourist attraction in the next 5 years, probably 10. There's this thing at the moment, it's called a recession, you might have heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

"alcatraz" is pretty intimidating isnt it? never done that place any harm...
    Mount Joy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

I know it's probably more the county but i saw this thread so i'm adding to it

some pics of the old prison and an inside view on the island

http://steviegblog.blogspot.com/2010/05/rare-view-of-spike-island.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

God I hope they dont change the name :mad:

I'd lvoe if they made a Open air theatre or a statue there...I know copying NY and Sydney but It'd be pretty cool..

What ever they do I hope they make it classy and not somthing that'll look good for 5 years and then be ****e...Like all those 70's buildings...bloodyhell they are ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Seloth wrote: »
    God I hope they dont change the name :mad:

I'd lvoe if they made a Open air theatre or a statue there...I know copying NY and Sydney but It'd be pretty cool..

What ever they do I hope they make it classy and not somthing that'll look good for 5 years and then be ****e...Like all those 70's buildings...bloodyhell they are ugly.

100ft statue of Roy Keane! - or a giant box of Barry's tea. Either would be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 doodd

It would really be great if they turned it into a tourist attraction. There was talk of doing this at fort camden up behind Crosshaven years ago though and nothing ever came of it. I did go in there though a coup of times at it is amazing. If those sort of attractions were opened it would be great to have a ferry leaving from the city to bring people down there, get in Cobh and Crosshaven too, they could make a fortune!

Cork was recently voted in the top ten lonely planet places to visit. We really should have more place in Cork to visit for those who do come here !

Advertisement