Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride4Life with Stephen Roche & Lance Armstrong

Options
  • 28-07-2009 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

The first ever Ride4Life cycle for the Irish Cancer Society is on Saturday, August 22, 2009 in and around Killarney, Co.Kerry. There will be an 85km route and a 44km route– it’s not a race and all are welcome to sign up, take part and enjoy the day, but we expect quite a few serious cyclists to take on the challenging Kerry roads as the 85km route passes though the legendary Gap of Dunloe and Black Valley.

What makes this Ride4Life so special is that while raising funds for cancer patient care services and research it also runs along the second stage of the Tour of Ireland – so while you're cycling on Saturday, August 22nd, the professionals, including Lance Armstrong and Mark Cavendish, will be racing at the same time on the same roads (just a little further along the route). The Ride4Life will finish on the stage's finish line, not long before the main field arrive.

We have confirmed that Stephen Roche will ride in the Ride4Life and we are hoping to secure some other top cyclists. Lance Armstrong has lent his official support to the event and we hope to arrange a meet and greet with Lance for some lucky participants so stay tuned for more on that.

For further information and to register please visit www.Ride4Life.ie or call the Irish Cancer Society's Fundraising team on CallSave 1850 60 60 60.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Title should be "Ride with Stephen Roche & along the same road that Lance Arsmtrong rode a few hours earlier"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Some of you I know have rode with Sean Kelly so ye should go and see who's "cooler"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Beware of (1) colossal amounts of Horse sh1t on the way up to the gap from Beaufort,
    (2) Crazy farmer and his dog down near the black valley church - this guy thought it would be funny to allow his dog attack me on Sunday.

Other than that, it truly is a stunning route. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

:mad:same weekend as Gael Force.......:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IrishCancerSoc

Thanks for the support ROK ON. Yes, we're all too aware of the the horse crap, we're hoping the County Council will have cleaned most of it off for us!
    ROK ON wrote: »
    Beware of (1) colaoosal amounts of Horse sh1t on the way up to the gap from Beaufort,
    (2) Crazy farmer and his dog down near the black valley church - this guy thought it would be funny to allow his dog attack me on Sunday.

Other than that, it truly is a stunning route. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the support ROK ON. Yes, we're all too aware of the the horse crap, we're hoping the County Council will have cleaned most of it off for us!

Will Stephen Roche actually ride in this (his son intimated in the Indo column that he would).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 IrishCancerSoc

Yup, Stephen Roche has confirmed to us he will be riding. He's a passionate supporter of cancer causes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I want to meet Lance, but only to get him to sign my Kimmage book :)

But as posted in a previous thread, isn't it a bit misleading to call it the "ride4life with stephen roche and lance armstrong" when you won't actually get to ride with drugarmstrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

LOL No No!!! Keep the Horse [EMAIL="Cr@p"]Cr@p[/EMAIL], Show the real Ireland to Lance ... :)

He's a passionate supporter of cancer causes.

Might want to re-word that:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Great to see the event and a brilliant cause however as discussed on numerous threads here before surely each cyclist should try raise what they can or just donate themsevles rather than the €150 minimum sponsorship?

If people can afford it/raise it then brilliant but shouldn't deter people who can't but are perfectly willing to throw 10/20/50/100 to the cause?

Just a suggestion

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Funkyzeit wrote: »
    Great to see the event and a brilliant cause however as discussed on numerous threads here before surely each cyclist should try raise what they can or just donate themsevles rather than the €150 minimum sponsorship?

If people can afford it/raise it then brilliant but shouldn't deter people who can't but are perfectly willing to throw 10/20/50/100 to the cause?

Just a suggestion

Yeah, I do raise money for a charity each year and I don't want to be raising money every week for different events. I'm happy to pay a bit extra (few quid, not hundreds) to be in charity events.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭michaelm

From my own experience of both organising and cycling in charity events I have formed the opinion that most money is raised by novice cyclists or even non cyclists who take on the challenge for the first time. If, like a lot of us here, you cycle on quite a few events your ability to raise sponsorship is exhausted at this stage. So far this year I have cycled in 4 charity events as well as a sportive with an entry fee, This is one less than I did last year. From that point of view I am more in favour of a donation than a minimum fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,062 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

michaelm wrote: »
    From my own experience of both organising and cycling in charity events I have formed the opinion that most money is raised by novice cyclists or even non cyclists who take on the challenge for the first time.

Indeed. I'm thinking of asking Rapha and Assos to pay my appearance fees for charity cycle events, which I'll generously pass on to the charity involved after a small deduction for my "medical expenses" (hormone rebalancing and rest day refills).

Someone has to show these people how to dress properly, surely?

(joke)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Lumen wrote: »
    Indeed. I'm thinking of asking Rapha and Assos to pay my appearance fees for charity cycle events, which I'll generously pass on to the charity involved after a small deduction for my "medical expenses" (hormone rebalancing and rest day refills).

(joke)

Well LA with his black socks surely needs a lesson!

+1 on all that was said above,

I did a quick tally, between raising, paying and sponsoring others this summer I've passed well over €500 to charities so far this summer, while I enjoy this I do feel the minimum entry limit can be a drag and discourage people to get involved.

Again Mi'lord I'd like to reference the ROK as a reference in the argument for high collection amounts/no minimum entry.... I rest my case.

Lumen wrote: »

(joke)

Dress properly, as in gore tex shorts for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

I don't suppose anyone is going to this from Cork and willing to take an absolute stranger (and novice) along?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

kenmc wrote: »
    I want to meet Lance, but only to get him to sign my Kimmage book :)

But as posted in a previous thread, isn't it a bit misleading to call it the "ride4life with stephen roche and lance armstrong" when you won't actually get to ride with drugarmstrong?

bring "From Lance To Landis" as well, he`d be more than happy to oblige i reckon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

ICS , could you explain the logistics of the Ride4life please ?
    According to the web site it starts at 9:00am on the 22nd and "so while your cycling on Saturday, 22nd August the professionals, including Lance Armstrong will be racing at the same time on the same roads, just a little further along the route ".
    But the professionals don't get to Killarney until after 2pm and the Ride4Life routes are out the opposite side of Killarney so do not use any part of the TOI route. Where is the correlation between the 2 events apart from Lance being supportive of both ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Ninjakiwi

Frankly to say, I like where this thread is very interesting to discuss.

devis comparatif assurance voiture - Comparatif assurance voiture. Devis immédiat. Bas prix et adaptée. Devis assurance voiture.

Advertisement